Small Hygrometers

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I saw these small hygrometers on Amazon, but the shipping charge was as much as the item itself. Doing a search, I found them from Walmart with free shipping. I like to avoid Walmart, but these come from WOWParts. The reviews on Amazon were good, so I ordered four. They'll arrive on March 26.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/4OKCSIP4IIF4

Hygrometer.jpg

You keep your ukes in a ballpark? That's different, Sir!

Interested in how well these work also.
Writing here so I don't forget :)

Finally, once where Amazon.ca is cheaper than .com (free shipping) :p

I've got one of these in my case and it reads about 4% low compared to my room hygrometer, which itself might be 2% out, so I possibly worst case is 6%. I seem to recall reading about people buying several to get a good one out of the bunch, but I'm not storing cigars. Close enough for me and I'm getting another one.

I see they're on Aliexpress, whether or not you want to buy from them.

Temperature on these is only in Celcius, if that's an issue for you. I wouldn't care, only wanting humidity level.

I got a small square one, digital, a while back. When I leave it out in the house in winter, with forced hot air heat, it usually reads anywhere from 21%-36% at most, usually on the lower end. So, I can't really leave ukes out for long, unless they're plastic, and even then, worry about fret sprout on the ones with wooden fingerboards. When I put it in my HSC with a uke and homemade wet-sponge-in-plastic humidifier, it's always about 55-62%. I rotate it around to different cases, and it's always the same, so as long as I refill weekly, I really just need one hygrometer.

Last edited:
I keep procrastinating on getting a new, smaller, Hygrometer . Mabey i will order a couple of these just in case one is off.

Finally, once where Amazon.ca is cheaper than .com (free shipping) :p

I've got one of these in my case and it reads about 4% low compared to my room hygrometer, which itself might be 2% out, so I possibly worst case is 6%. I seem to recall reading about people buying several to get a good one out of the bunch, but I'm not storing cigars. Close enough for me and I'm getting another one.

I don't think that the ukuleles can read them, so what they don't know won't hurt them. :) I think that they look like a good deal. I have larger one in the room but I've often wondered what the humidity is in the case.

Sorry friends I really wanted to keep my mouth shut and not rain on your parade but that would not be right. I have had a bad run with cheap hygrometers, a number of different brands and units. Did the old, buy 10 keep 5 that read close to the same so they must be right WRONG.

A couple years ago I bought 3 Caliper IV hygrometers which are tested and trusted by cigar afficiandos, about $30.00 each. More importantly sold and recommended by Burgess Violin. Google him and read all the work he had done with testing hygrometers and humidifers. When the Calibers were all reading 24% the cheap ones were stuck at 38%, they would not read lower then that. I threw them all out. The most important condition for a solid wood instrument is humidity level. If you DON'T have something good to test your cheap ones against you are driving blind.

I got the same ones on ebay just a little cheaper.

I did the salt test on one and it read 76%.

The one in the case with the 50% Boveda packet reads 51%.

Good enough for me!

What type of hygrometer do I need for my Cigar Box ukulele?

John Colter.

I don't think that the ukuleles can read them, so what they don't know won't hurt them. :) I think that they look like a good deal. I have larger one in the room but I've often wondered what the humidity is in the case.

Haha, need a "smart" ukulele. Everything is smart now, right?

I actually just moved it beside my other one for a few hours, but given a few more hours, it's settling in to within 1-2% of my other hygrometers, so maybe better than I thought. They seem to be designed to clip into a hole in a (cigar?) box to read from the outside of the box so doesn't really have a proper mount for other applications. I just have it loose in the uke case.

Last edited:
No way! I'm not making a hole in my CBU just to check on the RH.

I'll hang a pine cone from the peg head.

John Colter

What type of hygrometer do I need for my Cigar Box ukulele?

John Colter.

This one! Instead of a built in tuner, it will mount externally and measure the internal humidity. May as well keep your cigars in there too. Bonus: makes for quiet night time practice. :D

I take it back, get an antique brass CB hygrometer to do it justice. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom