rosette questions

Steve-atl

Reaction score
I sanded my top down to 08”. I am now thinking about installing a rosette. Nothing fancy just some alternating black and white plastic binding from Stewmac. I am now wondering if I should have done this before my tops final thickness sanding?

Do you glue up a support plate like a bridge plate under the area where the rosette goes?

The top is thin. Routing the canal that will accept the plastic binding can't be very deep. The plastic binding is .020" x .075"

Thanks

I wouldn't do it. You could try, but you don't have much meat to work with. You could try setting it proud. Keep in mind that you will have to level the rosette which means the whole top will get slightly thinner... This is why rosettes are put in before the top is sanded down to your target thickness. I put them in at 0.120 which gives me plenty of meat to sand out the rosette and then sand down to final thickness on the down or non-show side... As for a support plate, don't do that as insurance for if you go through the top as you will have a big problem. Remember, ukes can look fine without a rosette. Maybe save it for the next one. Or if you are feeling brave go for it,...

Last edited:
Sure you can do it. Just don't go deeper than 0.020. Keep in mind that you will have to level the rosette which means the whole top will get slightly thinner so set the rosette as flush as possible. This is why rosettes are put in before the top is sanded down to your target thickness. I put them in at 0.120 which give me plenty of meat to sand out the rosette and then sand down to final thickness on the down or non-show side.

Thanks. That sounds like the way to do it.
I wonder if I should save this for a back and just glue up a new top. I can buy wood locally cheap.

Wood burn a rosette in. I have seen it done on other Ukuleles.

Rosette's are to prevent the wood splitting at the sound hole..I embed mine in at .075" then sand down to .062" I use a fly cutter in the drill press with the depth stop set about .010" from the base plate...if it's kept flat it can't cut through all the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcsanEGzbM4&feature=youtu.be

I'm making a couple of sopranos for a friends grandchildren, and for the first time had a senior moment during the thicknessing process and forgot to stop at 3mm to insert the simple BWB rosette. The tops were at 1,6 mm finished thickness, but I gave it a go and it all worked out OK. The channel was routed with the Dremel in the Stewmac circle cutter to leave 0.5 mm. Some careful work with a block plane and scraper and the result was fine - no further loss of top thickness.

P1090519.jpg P1090520.jpg

1- I glue my top wood together, sand it so it's nice on both sides but still pretty much full thickness from whoever sent it to me (4-5mm).
2- I then chose which is the best looking side for the rosette.
3- Then i install the rosette.
4- Sand the rosette face on the drum sander till its all flush then finish the face side on an RO to 220.
5- Than work the top down to final thickness (+.005") from the back side on the drum sander....then finish it off to 220 on a RO.

PS- After I brace and glue the top on, I work the edges some more if needed.

PPS- i glue a piece of veneer to the underside side of the top under the rosette- some do spruce or cedar- putting something there is a good idea + 2 braces

Top Bottom