Pepe Romero UT2 strings

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Tried a set of Pepe Romero by LaBella UT2 low G strings on a string-thru tenor. They are still settling, but initial impressions are:

These are loud! Tone is great, sweet and deep on a solid spruce/hog tenor

The A string seems very stiff, but also loud. I'll live with the stiffness to get a sweet loud A string, I hate wimpy sounding strings there.

The low G string is a gold colored wound string, squeakless, sounds great. The other 3 strings are flouro.

All in all, I like the sound alot so far. My only criticism is the beads, which are supplied with the strings, assumably an option for those with string-thru bridges. They are square beads, numbered 1-4. The thing is, the holes in the beads are huge, must be at least 2-3 mm. That precludes running the string through the bead, then tying a knot to hold it, as I couldn't easily tie one big enough to prevent it from slipping through the bead at tension. Maybe there's some mongo knot I don't know about. So, I needed to tie a couple of knots onto one side of each bead, to secure it. Thing is, I assume the bead then does not sit squarely on the top under the bridge, and those knots I tied are either in the holes, or trying to get in there.

The issue is a PIA buzzing that wasn't there before. It sounds like it's coming from the headstock, but I've checked everything up there for tightness, and placed my fingers touching everywhere up there, while playing, to ID the source of the buzz. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the beads, and just sounds like it's coming from the headstock. If I can't figure it out, I guess I'll unstring, and use some much smaller beads I have, or just big knots, with no beads when I reuse the strings. Arrrghhh!

Strings 2.jpg
Strings 1.jpg

I bought a set of Pepe Romero classical guitar string and they came with those numbered beads. Because of the numbers I assumed they were for identification purposes only, probably because I always tie off on the block. But I guess they could be used for a string through bridge.

Too bad you have a buzz, especially because you seem to like the strings. If it is coming from the headstock try backing off the tension on the strings and checking the nut, washer and screws for tightness. My Kamaka baritone developed a buzz-rattle at the headstock about one week ago, drove me nuts. Sure enough one of the lock down nuts was a bit loose and the washer underneath was vibrating. The low humidity levels and or a string change can induce this condition. Good luck

I‘m sure these beads are for iddentification only. I have a Tiny Tenor and a XS Soprano from Romero Creations, and they both came equipped with the Romero strings and they both did NOT carry those beads, just simple or doble knots to fix the sttrings on the string-through bridges.

I think the beads are much too big to use them for fixing the strings. I‘m quite convinced that the buzzing would come from them, even if it seems to come from somewhere else. I’m sure they must start vibrating under the soundboard when attached to a plucked string.
I‘m certainly not an expert in ukulele-building but one thing I learned: the cause for a buzzing sound can be on a completely different spot than where it may seem to come from. And two, three luthiers, real experts in building ukuleles, confirmed this.

My recommendation: before you start checking your bridge, nut or saddle: start with removing those beads, and if you feel you need some for your uke, use smaller ones. I would be surprised if the buzzing continues (although it may have a different cause, too).

I agree, the square beads are for string ID only. If you watch Pepe's "How to" string change video he uses his own set and simply ties a knot, i.e., doesn't use the square ID beads as, well, beads. I suppose they'd make a nice bracelet once you've brazed through a few sets. I've tried the UT1, UG1 and UG2 and they're all quality acts albeit for the price they had better be. The Fluorocarbon trebles feel silky smooth and firm, and ring like a ring with sweet tone and long sustain. I use a tiny round plastic bead to keep the 1st string knot from pulling into the hole. The other strings don't need a bead.

I tend to run wear out my first string in a week or two so I've been using Seaguar Pink Label to replace the first string (the others last a few weeks longer). Pink Label is very close to the smooth feel and tone of the La Bella/Romero strings so I'm happy.

Last edited:
My bad on the beads then, I'll just take them off, and just use knots and maybe a smaller bead on the A. Seems a strange way to ID strings

I think those are what was in my Romero concert, and the A string was indeed strong--way too strong. Glad they work on the TT.

In other news, I found the La Bella single G at strings By Mail. It's oddly called "Pro."

Strangely, 24 hours after the restringing, all that buzzing has stopped, and it sounds fine, so I guess I'll leave it alone, and hope the issue does not reappear.

The way I deal with holes in beads that are too large for the string is to tie the normal figure eight stopper, slip the bead on, then reave the string through the bead twice more. One loop on one side, the other on the opposite side of the bead across from the first loop. The string itself then makes the hole smaller and the bead sits evenly against the bridge when pulled taut.

Top Bottom