1915-1922 Washburn Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jddewitt81

Reaction score
Here’s one you do not see very often!! I really need to clean house so it needs to go. This will be a great addition to any collection.

It is in very good condition considering how old it is. It does have a few cracks in the top. The back and sides do not have any cracks that I can see. Do not expect it to be perfect but do realize it is in very good shape considering. The bridge is in pretty good condition. Most have suffered pretty badly over the years.

I have replaced the tuners but the originals are included. These just dropped right in so going back would be a breeze. I will say the original tuners did not work that good. They likely need new washers. I also installed new Orca strings but I would probably switch to Martins, Worth or Oasis if I were to keep it.

These old Washburn’s especially the very early ones are tough to beat. I have owned all of the K brands and Martins but the vintage Washburn’s and Oscar Schmidt’s are my favorites (More rate too!). I really hope it goes to a good home and gets the love it deserves.

Priced very fairly at $350 shipped. I accept PayPal.

I uploaded many pictures as well as a video that really shows it off. They can be seen in my album here.

Thank you!!

- Jon

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eByeM1kwUdH28sjP8

Beeyoutifull! Great deal. Good luck with the sale!

Beautiful, Jon.
Wish it were mine!

Yeah I am probably really stupid for selling it because I will likely never find another but as long as it goes to a good home I will be happy!

Lovely soprano. It should make someone very happy.

Yeah I am probably really stupid for selling it because I will likely never find another but as long as it goes to a good home I will be happy!

Yeah, Jon
It looks and sounds good.

You don't find many of these around. Is that fancy mahogany?
Good luck with the sale. Jon is a reliable seller.

Flamed mahogany body (I believe) some of the nicest looking mahogany I have seen if so. koa headplate and fingerboard..

That is a really nice looking ukulele. When listening to the video however it sounds as either the intonation or the tuning is way off. Which is it? Also, do you have a better picture of the original turners? Thanks!

Yeah I debated putting that video up and not just waiting to do another because I had just put those strings on minutes before. These strings seem like they take a while to break in. Definitely a tuning issue. That was also with the original tuners that were hard as heck to get tuned correctly.

I added a few more pictures that show the old tuners on the ukulele. They are in very good condition as well however the washers probably need replaced.

I would say it looks like Koa to me, but I am no expert

I would love to hear a bit more, especially some strumming of some basic chord progressions. How is the volume?

These strings really do it no justice. It sounded better with whatever strings it came with to be honest. It sounds good and is fairly loud though. Although it’s not has loud and resonate with these strings it is more plunky. These strings seem to have that effect imo. I’ll try to get another clip a bit later today with these strings but was really not wanting to change these strings because I am not going to make a dime from the sale as it is.

I also thought it looked like koa. I think early models were koa and then they switched to the flamed mahogany but I haven’t been able to find a reliable solid source. The one source pointed to it being flamed mahogany and I have heard only talk of them being koa.

Strings are still not that settled but I added another clip to the album. This thing is so fun to play!! I only have a flea and a kanilea tenor left. I have been trying to really dedicate myself to playing the tenor scale more. Someone buy this before I decide to sell the kanilea instead!! A punchy little soprano sure is hard to beat and such good fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom