Eastman EU3S Soprano - Reviewed

bazmaz

Reaction score
Great review. I have wondered about these for a long time. I completely agree about the tuners!

Last edited:
Hi, Barry.

I really do appreciate the fact that, when you make reference to the type of tuner (friction vs geared), you do state that it is **your** opinion, and not Gospel. Yes, there are many serious ukulele players who would not ever consider a soprano with anything but friction tuners, but there are also some of us who detest friction tuners, and we are every bit as serious (if not as talented) as others.

The only daily player I have with friction tuners is my Timms, and I have seriously considered changing the tuners (I have a beautiful set of Gotoh UTP tuners than match the instrument perfectly!), but as Ken Timms said he built the instrument as a Martin reproduction, and the instrument it is based on had friction tuners, I have resisted the temptation. But it also means I don't use that instrument for playing gigs, because I struggle with the tuning.

I did replace the friction tuners on my National Resophonic Triolian with matching Gotohs, and it was a great move. (Buttons match the instrument's finish, too!) Even National is using Gotohs on their new instruments, from what I've seen. And I have no complaints about the PegHed tuners I have on 4 of my other instruments. On my latest soprano, I even asked the luthier to change from Grover friction tuners to PegHed, and the instrument is a beauty - and easy for me to tune.

So keep up the great reviews, and please continue to let us know your opinions. I respect them, even when I disagree with them.

-Kurt​

I never once said it that that people who liked geared pegs were not serious - you are drawing a false conclusion. I merely said that I know many serious players who would not buy a soprano with geared pegs. This is an actual fact and I have discussed the review with them today.

I also said that something like UPT's would also be an option was my opinion is purely about looks, not gears vs friction.

So I wasn't drawing the conclusion it seems you think I was. Just simply saying I personally would never buy a soprano with geared pegs and know many others who wouldn't either. That's it really.

No slur intended on accomplished players who like gears. None at all.

Was seriously looking at one of these a while back. If they would've come with a 12 fret to body (no frets past the 12th) option
I probably would have bought one.

And to ksiegel, If I manage to get my hands on a Timms one of the first things I plan to do is put UPT's on it :)

I do see that concern about extended fretboards on sopranos quite a lot. I kind of see the concern, but when the fingerboard is extremely thin I don't find it changes or restricts the sound at all. It's the case here - and same with the Kiwaya KTS4 an KTS5. Some people avoid the 5 because of the fingerboard. Having played both - they are on a par with each other on tone and volume.

For me, I just find the extended fretboard gets in the way of my finger picking on a soprano. More so the frets than the fretboard, so thin, low frets might help a bit. Maybe it's bad finger picking technique on my part, but I don't miss the extra frets on a soprano, so why have them just to get in the way?

Still, this Eastman is appealing. Rather have pegs or UPTs but I'd almost overlook that if all the other boxes were checked for me.

Fair comment - hadn't thought about it that way. The frets are indeed skinny and very low though.

For me, I just find the extended fretboard gets in the way of my finger picking on a soprano. More so the frets than the fretboard, so thin, low frets might help a bit. Maybe it's bad finger picking technique on my part, but I don't miss the extra frets on a soprano, so why have them just to get in the way?

Still, this Eastman is appealing. Rather have pegs or UPTs but I'd almost overlook that if all the other boxes were checked for me.

Same for me. I prefer the Martin S-0 / KTS-4 style fretboards.

Might be nice if they offered both - like the Kiwaya 4 and 5 options.

s my opinion is purely about looks, not gears vs friction.

So I wasn't drawing the conclusion it seems you think I was.

And there it is - that was EXACTLY where I misinterpreted your statement - it is the appearance, not the function that keeps you away from geared tuners on a soprano.

Now I understand. The most recent soprano I bought, the luthier offered to change the friction tuners to open gear tuners, but that would not have looked good at all. I asked him about either Gotoh or PegHed, and he installed the PegHeds. it has the right look, and what for me is the right function.

Thanks, Barry. I think I get it now.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom