Changing strings on a Risa solid: especially difficult, or is it just me?

SailQwest

Reaction score
When I took my (new to me) Risa solid out of it's case this morning, the E string was broken.

I'd been thinking about changing strings anyway. I had no idea how old they were, plus they had some nicks in them. And I was having some tuning/intonation issues with one of the strings, which is usually a good indicator that change is due.

But what a pain! The space around the tuners is so small and the strings are in the way. It's just generally hard to work in. Then one of my strings pulled through after I got it on and tuned. Apparently I needed a bigger knot. Arghhhh!

I did finally get it restrung. With Worth Clears, btw.

Gee thanks but I know how to restring a ukulele. I just found that the design of the Risa solid made it exceptionally difficult.

Nope you're not alone it's a big pain in the ass to restring or just tune a Risa solid. It's the weird little bar thing that allows the instrument to be so small which is also the problem. I've found no answer to the problem but i don't play my Risa too often so don't worry about it.

I haven't tried yet, but one of the reasons I haven't is that it looks like it might be more challenging than a typical uke because the g string looks like it wants to wind toward the bottom of the peg like normal, but each successive string goes more toward the top of the peg.

I got a tenor stick a month ago and had no end of bother with the A string with risa branded worth browns - either snapping or going false (always flat towards the 12th).

I eventually put on a worth clear which looks ok so far.
(anyone else seen this - are clears the best choice for it?)

Tuning it is not too bad. The trick seems to be adjusting the friction tuners - and a smear of graphite on that metal string bar behind the saddle! - I found the 1st string tended to stick else.
I like the risa stick. Great for silent practice and it amps really well. I wish there were a lute version with 8 strings.

A string keeps breaking

I have been experiencing problems with my A string on my RISA solid Tenor. I have replaced the string with the appropriate Brown Worth string, only to have it break within two weeks. The strings are expensive and hard for me to find in Canada. The angle of this string on the grooved metal bar seems quite severe. The string veers sharply over the groove. Are the clear Worth strings better?

I had the same issue with browns - snapping a strings. Clears have worked better for me.
Also eventually tuned down a step to f/bflat/d/g - often used for tenors and close to lute tuning.
The dab of graphite (or a 3b pencil) on the top string run round the bar is a big help, and adjusting the tuners.
cheers
R.

Hi!

I am also having the same with my Tenor Uke Solid, the A string snapped on the original fluoro-carbon string set as well as a set of Orcas I bought afterwoulds. I have been able to get it tuned with Aquilas though.

I think the issue I am having is that the bar that the string wraps around pinches the A string until they snap... am contemplating get that bar "altered" somehow...

I will need to add the graphite somehow... maybe next time I restring.

I am very interested though in what the thought is on maybe changing the tuners to FleaMarketMusic's new Peghead Tuners though, would they fit/work?

Cheers,
Toan.

I have put 3 worth browns on the A string. I am wondering if your clear worths are still holding up. Guess I will have to consider taking it to a luthier and having the pegs/positions changed. I will have to check this out. Otherwise I really enjoy this uke.

Last edited:
The tuning pegs have a raised edge on the open inside facing the opposite wood. A different arrangement of the pegs, and different pegs would be a solution I suppose.

The Worth Clears held up really well on my Risa (over 6 months with no problems). About 3 months ago my G string broke, so I replaced it with a Bushman G string (the only clear strings I had at the time). It was okay, but the Bushman string was very thin and pretty delicate. After about 6 weeks the G string broke again and I replaced it with the same thing (which is what I had).

I tried to order some Worth Clears, but MGM was out of stock. I was already planning to place an order with Guadalupe Custom Strings so I added on a set of their colored monofiliments for the Risa.

Last Saturday my husband changed the strings for me. I wasn't crazy about the strings, which surprised me for two reasons. First, since the Risa is definitely not an acoustic instrument I figured strings wouldn't matter a whole lot. And second, Guadalupe's fibre-core strings are the most fabulous-sounding strings I have ever played. But these GCS monofiliments are very sturdy, and I'm sure I could get a lot of use out of them.

Anyway, MGM got more Worth Clears in and I have some on the way. In the meantime, my Risa remains my most-played ukulele, mostly because it is always sitting next to me.

0af410f8.jpg

is it ok to mix clears and browns, as g c and e strings fine and are worth browns, but ive ordered some worth clears and wonder if it would be ok just to replace the broken a string with a clear and leave the rest as browns?

Top Bottom