PDA

View Full Version : The New and Improved? Star Trek (SPOILERS)

CoffeeMate
05-25-2009, 12:51 PM
So whatcha y'all think of the new Star Trek?
Seems Dave and I are the only people who hate it. Things I liked about it.
1. The casting was excellent 2. Uhura was portrayed as more than a glorified telephone operator....um that's about it.
I never considered myself a trekkie or trekker (for those who prefer it) until I watched this piece of garbage. If I'd never seen Star Trek before I would have liked it. As far as Sci-Fi adventures goes it was great. But....I have seen Star Trek, and to me Star Trek, in all it's incarnations, has never been just another sci fi adventure. Where is the social commentary in this movie? I must of missed it during all the explosions, and asinine attempts at humor. At least they got the names right.

Russ Sonny Kemner
05-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I thought this movie was outstanding. I consider myself a geek, but not the of the Trekie variety, so maybe I am off on this, but I thought the movie was awesome, better than Wolverine.

I used to watch the re-runs of this show back when I was a kid in the '70's and if memory serves, the new characters seemed to follow the old ones pretty close including the cantankerous 'Bones' and eccentric engineering genius "Scotty".

OHara is much hotter in this remake, a character deviation that I have no complaints about.

Ukulele JJ
05-25-2009, 07:17 PM
Where is the social commentary in this movie?

Yeah, I missed that too. The best Trek episodes and movie had some sort of "big idea" they were trying to get across. The new movie has a little bit of nice stuff about destiny, being human, friendship, etc. ...but mostly it was just an action pic.

But I'm okay with that, because it was a darn good action pic.

And let's be honest, there were times when Star Trek has been primarily just a fun, goofy space adventure. Have we forgotten about The Trouble With Tribbles? Or Star Trek IV? Or TNG's QPid? All classics.

So I'll cut 'em some slack on this one. Hopefully, now that the new cast and timeline have been established, the next movie will have a bit more weight to it.

JJ

Bubbalele
05-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Well I won't argue about it but I thought it was pretty true to Roddenberrys vision of Star Trek. The "social commentary"? Yeah the original series was loaded with it in ways that we don't even think about these days. Keep in mind that Bill Cosby was still a big deal being the first black male in a prime time series( I Spy) for just a year or so before. I guess if the social commentary seemed weak it could be that the human race may have progressed just a bit since the late '60s. I loved 17 year old Chekov with the acess denied to the computer because of his accent and then running for the transporter room yelling "I can do theese". Darned fine effort on all accounts I'd say.

JT_Ukes
05-25-2009, 07:34 PM
1. The casting was excellent 2. Uhura was portrayed as more than a glorified telephone operator....um that's about it.
I never considered myself a trekkie or trekker (for those who prefer it) until I watched this piece of garbage. If I'd never seen Star Trek before I would have liked it. As far as Sci-Fi adventures goes it was great. But....I have seen Star Trek, and to me Star Trek, in all it's incarnations, has never been just another sci fi adventure. Where is the social commentary in this movie? I must of missed it during all the explosions, and asinine attempts at humor. At least they got the names right.

They had to re-introduce the characters. like in all "first" movies, (ie Spiderman, Batman X-men.. etc...) there isn't that much time for anything else. The social commentary will come.

The Franchise is reborn, with a clean slate upon which to write. With a whole new fan base, partly because of the Action Movie you didn't like.

Give it time to breath.

JT

AcousticMonster
05-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I liked the new movie, but I didn't like the alternate reality twist. Besides, I thought they killed off old Spock in the Next Generation series? How did he get into the movie if he was dead?

josuegroundhog
05-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Trekkie's Bash New Star Film as "Fun", "Watchable" (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film)

HaileISela
05-26-2009, 03:32 PM
I really liked it, since I am a Trekkie as long as I can remember, I had loads of fun watching the way they found together...

but wow, the end got me like: uhm, did they just erase everything that happened after the "Enterprise" series? like hey, they query the whole ST universe...

oh, and the cast was a highscore... some of my favorite actors...

(maybe I liked it also because I am a Star Wars fan as well as long as I can remember: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892)

CoffeeMate
05-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I really liked it, since I am a Trekkie as long as I can remember, I had loads of fun watching the way they found together...

but wow, the end got me like: uhm, did they just erase everything that happened after the "Enterprise" series? like hey, they query the whole ST universe...

(maybe I liked it also because I am a Star Wars fan as well as long as I can remember: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892)

Yes they completely erased everything that ever happened in 40 plus years of star trek tv/movie/book history.

The cast was excellent, and it was well acted

Love the link btw

JT_Ukes
05-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Yes they completely erased everything that ever happened in 40 plus years of star trek tv/movie/book history.

The cast was excellent, and it was well acted

Love the link btw

Didn't erase, it all still happens in an alternate timeline.

CoffeeMate
05-27-2009, 08:38 AM
Didn't erase, it all still happens in an alternate timeline.

I see your point, I really do. Dave and I don't thinks of it that way. I don't want to get into it too much cause I don't want to give to much away for those who have not seen it. We don't like it, we seem to be the only people who don't, that's ok. I didn't realize we were so obsessed with Star Trek until one of my employees was telling me about the film and I found myself yelling in the middle of the store "Was he even in pon far?!" in reference to the passionate hug Spock and Uhura gave each other at the end. LOL, then I started thinking about all the Star Trek crap we have in the house...we have A LOT of stuff.

seeso
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
I loved the movie. It would have been nice with some social commentary, but I didn't miss it that much.

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Post "Spoiler Alert"s, people! I haven't seen the dang thing yet.

JT_Ukes
05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I see your point, I really do. Dave and I don't thinks of it that way. I don't want to get into it too much cause I don't want to give to much away for those who have not seen it. We don't like it, we seem to be the only people who don't, that's ok. I didn't realize we were so obsessed with Star Trek until one of my employees was telling me about the film and I found myself yelling in the middle of the store "Was he even in pon far?!" in reference to the passionate hug Spock and Uhura gave each other at the end. LOL, then I started thinking about all the Star Trek crap we have in the house...we have A LOT of stuff.

Spock is 1/2 human ya know.... Just because he chooses to (try and) follow his Vulcan half, doesn't mean he didn't enjoy a little sumptin-sumptin... :)

This was the only way they could revive the franchise. Which is a good thing.

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Spock is 1/2 human ya know.... Just because he chooses to (try and) follow his Vulcan half, doesn't mean he didn't enjoy a little sumptin-sumptin... :)

This was the only way they could revive the franchise. Which is a good thing.

SPOILERS, PEOPLES! SPOILERS!!!!11:cool:

seeso
05-27-2009, 11:07 AM
SPOILERS, PEOPLES! SPOILERS!!!!11:cool:

Stay away from this thread!

UKISOCIETY
05-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Stay away from this thread!

I can't help it!!! I'm like a dog and its vomit.

Ugh. Forget I said that.:wallbash:

JT_Ukes
05-27-2009, 11:19 AM

Talk about spoilers!!!! UGH!

josuegroundhog
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM

LOLOL

Great link!

My kid became a star wars fan this week. Here's how:

We were eating ice-pops on Monday when I commented that they were like lightsabers.http://planetsmilies.net/eat-drink-smiley-5165.gif

"What's a lightsaber daddy?"

Straight to YouTube we went. http://www.smileyshut.com/smileys/new/Battle/lightsaber-battle.gif

Box set on the shelf- "Look daddy. These guys have lightsabers. Can we watch this?"

Yesterday- Rainy lazy day watching the whole original trilogy.

Today.. 1 new starwars fan.

http://planetsmilies.net/star-wars-smiley-5478.gif

Pueo
05-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Since the spoilers are already out there...
I really enjoyed the movie. I liked the new cast. I liked seeing Leonard as Spock. I did NOT like using time travel as a convenient device for re-writing the whole Star Trek universe! I realize that time travel has been used in Star Trek in the past, but they always came back to the present or "un-did" whatever it was that altered the universe. Hmmm, maybe that's what they are planning for the next movie(s)?
Anyway, it seems like a cheap way out to get away with doing whatever they want. Seems like Terminator does the same thing as well, but hey, that's another thread, right?

seeso
05-27-2009, 12:15 PM
I imagine that the time travel thing is what gets Trekkies in an uproar. I actually thought it was a clever way to be rid of all that continuity. It's tough to be shackled down by the weight of over 40 years of history. Now the new franchise can forge its own path.

Ukulele JJ
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I imagine that the time travel thing is what gets Trekkies in an uproar. I actually thought it was a clever way to be rid of all that continuity. It's tough to be shackled down by the weight of over 40 years of history. Now the new franchise can forge its own path.

Yup. And, of course, they could always cross into the "non-alternate" universe at some point in a future movie. It's not like that hasn't been done before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(Star_Trek)).

Compared to the "hard" reboots we've gotten with James Bond and BSG, this "soft" reboot is nothin'.

JJ

khrome
05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm not a Trekkie - I can't tell you how a replicator turns poop into food - but I'm a sci-fi junkie and I've liked all the ST series except DS9. I liked this movie a lot as a standalone. It wasn't my favorite of the ST movies but it was good enough for me to want to see it twice (which rarely happens.) There was only one part that was totally cornball (the scene with the water pipe) but that was it.

HaileISela
05-27-2009, 02:06 PM
Yup. And, of course, they could always cross into the "non-alternate" universe at some point in a future movie. It's not like that hasn't been done before (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror,_Mirror_(Star_Trek)).

Compared to the "hard" reboots we've gotten with James Bond and BSG, this "soft" reboot is nothin'.

JJ

They did that very often, didn't they? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Mirror,_Darkly

khrome
05-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Seems like Terminator does the same thing as well, but hey, that's another thread, right?

Terminator 4 didn't alter the timeline of the movies (saw it this weekend.) I don't know what they are doing in the tv series since I don't watch it but it's already been made public that thay are not taking the series into consideration in T4.

CoffeeJunkee
05-27-2009, 06:54 PM
SPOILERS UKI.....SPOILERS!!!!!!!

As my wife already stated, we thought the movie was well cast, it was well acted and as a sci-fi action movie it was quite good. But, as a star Trek movie I hated it.... Kirks dad was NEVER in Starfleet, he was a farmer in Iowa. That was messed up from the very beginning. I understand wanting to update the series and make it "cool" for the masses, but they ignored so much of the established history.... Yes Spock is half human and may be subject to human desires, but, it has been established that he NEVER gave in to them. Also Uhura was never his "love intrest"... If there was any human female he was attracted to it was Nurse Chapel. And he even told her that nothing could happen unless he was in 'pon far.

And after it was all said and done, and the future history had been change and all of it wiped out, wouldnt the old Spock have vanished because he would no longer exist? I mean everything that led upto that time was changed and he would not have been the same Spock at all.... and how come we have BOTH Spocks in the same time line chatting it up like they are old pals?.... Jeeez, I could go on and on ,but I wont.... In short.... Good sci fi action movie.... BAD Star Trek movie

CoffeeMate
05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

But I LIKE the 40 years of star trek history, I don wanna new one! I don want!

throws screaming temper tantrum

but hey I'm not as crazy as this chick

http:///oti.as/startrek/btn90001.jpg

CoffeeMate
05-27-2009, 07:06 PM

I wish I could :( flowers and rainbows flowers and rainbows flowers and rainbows flowers and rainbows flowers and rainbows....

JT_Ukes
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM

As my wife already stated, we thought the movie was well cast, it was well acted and as a sci-fi action movie it was quite good. But, as a star Trek movie I hated it.... Kirks dad was NEVER in Starfleet, he was a farmer in Iowa. That was messed up from the very beginning. I understand wanting to update the series and make it "cool" for the masses, but they ignored so much of the established history.... Yes Spock is half human and may be subject to human desires, but, it has been established that he NEVER gave in to them. Also Uhura was never his "love intrest"... If there was any human female he was attracted to it was Nurse Chapel. And he even told her that nothing could happen unless he was in 'pon far.

And after it was all said and done, and the future history had been change and all of it wiped out, wouldnt the old Spock have vanished because he would no longer exist? I mean everything that led upto that time was changed and he would not have been the same Spock at all.... and how come we have BOTH Spocks in the same time line chatting it up like they are old pals?.... Jeeez, I could go on and on ,but I wont.... In short.... Good sci fi action movie.... BAD Star Trek movie

Without the reboot, the franchise would have nowhere to go.

And yes the old Spock can still be there. it's a new UNIVERSE, a whole new timeline. The old timeline still goes on unchanged. Multiverse theory.. google it. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse ) Like what maevel and DC do/did with comic books. So theoretically, movies can still be made in the original Universe... ya know the one where time travel was used in prolly 33% of the shows and movies?

Personally I think a more conflicted Spock is a more interesting character, and yes they messed with Kirk's Father's story and yes, the Enterprise being built on the ground is just idiotic, but hey, To have the Star Trek universe reborn like this is just awesome. Far less disruptive tan what Lucas did to Star Wars.

TOS was all about social commentary with a reset at he end of every episode, and the later Series were more character driven, I think this reboot will bring TOS characters more alive than they were a lot less 2 dimensional and hey SPOILER ALERT>>>>> a red shirt got killed on an away mission, what more can you ask for?

I understand your problems, but I'm happy with what Abrams has done with a great franchise.

JT

HaileISela
05-28-2009, 03:57 AM
SPOILER ALERT>>>>> a red shirt got killed on an away mission, what more can you ask for?

Oh yes... When they went on that mission and there was this random guy who got the explosives, I was like: He's so gonna die!^^

http://images.thinkgeek.com/action/large/212333f.jpg

AcousticMonster
05-28-2009, 04:53 AM

I agree with everything you said here. They totally butchered the previous history in so many ways. What really bugged me was that they had Kirk and Spock growing up simultaneously. I thought Spock was already way older than the rest of the crew.

Also, in the new movie they had, what looked like, the Enterprise being manned by all new recruits. I thought the Enterprise was only manned by the the best Star Fleet had to offer. The new movie looked like college road trip in space.

But I LIKE the 40 years of star trek history, I don wanna new one! I don want!

throws screaming temper tantrum

but hey I'm not as crazy as this chick

http:///oti.as/startrek/btn90001.jpg

LOL, was that woman from the movie Trekkies? That was some disturbing footage. I like the guy who built the Capt Pike wheelchair and road around town in it. :shaka:

Without the reboot, the franchise would have nowhere to go.

And yes the old Spock can still be there. it's a new UNIVERSE, a whole new timeline. The old timeline still goes on unchanged. Multiverse theory.. google it. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiverse ) Like what maevel and DC do/did with comic books. So theoretically, movies can still be made in the original Universe... ya know the one where time travel was used in prolly 33% of the shows and movies?

Personally I think a more conflicted Spock is a more interesting character, and yes they messed with Kirk's Father's story and yes, the Enterprise being built on the ground is just idiotic, but hey, To have the Star Trek universe reborn like this is just awesome. Far less disruptive tan what Lucas did to Star Wars.

TOS was all about social commentary with a reset at he end of every episode, and the later Series were more character driven, I think this reboot will bring TOS characters more alive than they were a lot less 2 dimensional and hey SPOILER ALERT>>>>> a red shirt got killed on an away mission, what more can you ask for?

I understand your problems, but I'm happy with what Abrams has done with a great franchise.

JT

I would disagree. They could have rebooted the franchise in the near future where the DS9 tv series and the Next Gen movies left off. There is so much they could have worked with. In my opinion Paramount got lazy and beat the Next Gen storyline to death.

Jimmy
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM

lol (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film)

I liked it. I thought it was fun to watch. The scene with young Kirk with Sabotage playing was glorious...

JT_Ukes
05-28-2009, 09:15 AM
I would disagree. They could have rebooted the franchise in the near future where the DS9 tv series and the Next Gen movies left off. There is so much they could have worked with. In my opinion Paramount got lazy and beat the Next Gen storyline to death.

SOPILERS SPOILERS>>>

Not and bring use the Iconic Kirk /Spock/ crew they couldn't.

BTW.. Spock was Teaching at Star Fleet Academy when Kirk was there so he was older. They just showed some of his childhood to show the 1/2 Vulcan/ 1/2 Human issues he dealt with on Vulcan.

The Enterprise was outfitted with cadets because it was just commissioned, and not fully crewed when they had to launch on short notice, so they pulled form SFA.

I'm not saying it was perfect, nothing could be, but what they did good enough for 98% of the viewing/ticket buying public.

I agree there is so much more they could do with the Star Trek Universe in general.. I for one would LOVE a Klingon Centric Series or movie, that would rock hard.

I have a feeling that those with open minds will enjoy the new reboot, and those without, will complain on the outside, but will still go see and enjoy the new movies anyway. After all, like me, if you ain't complainin' you ain't happy.

I'm looking forward to seeing Harry Mudd again, and will Kirk run into The Botany Bay again? Think of the possibilities...

khrome
05-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I don't know what kind of social commentary you guys are looking for but I saw a lot of things that were significant to current events. The fact that there was an honorable Middle Eastern captain; suicide bombing (Kirks dad, seen from our perspective appears as martydom - interesting, eh?); and terrorism (Nero). Perhaps it could have had more depth if they allowed us to empathize with Nero losing his planet but unfortunately he was portrayed one-dimensionally. But maybe that was the intention, and thus your social commentary - terrorists are the enemy. You cannot negotiate with them. When backed in a corner, the only way to stop them is to annihilate them.

I saw things at a macro scale, as well. Kirk, growing up without a role model, a commentary on single-parent homes. (I know he had a stepdad, but they didn't say when his parents were married and from the looks of it he wasn't looked at as a role model.) Also, the military being the only way out for lower to middle class families is all too common in real life.

AcousticMonster
05-28-2009, 11:08 AM
SOPILERS SPOILERS>>>

Not and bring use the Iconic Kirk /Spock/ crew they couldn't.

BTW.. Spock was Teaching at Star Fleet Academy when Kirk was there so he was older. They just showed some of his childhood to show the 1/2 Vulcan/ 1/2 Human issues he dealt with on Vulcan.

The Enterprise was outfitted with cadets because it was just commissioned, and not fully crewed when they had to launch on short notice, so they pulled form SFA.

I'm not saying it was perfect, nothing could be, but what they did good enough for 98% of the viewing/ticket buying public.

I agree there is so much more they could do with the Star Trek Universe in general.. I for one would LOVE a Klingon Centric Series or movie, that would rock hard.

I have a feeling that those with open minds will enjoy the new reboot, and those without, will complain on the outside, but will still go see and enjoy the new movies anyway. After all, like me, if you ain't complainin' you ain't happy.

I'm looking forward to seeing Harry Mudd again, and will Kirk run into The Botany Bay again? Think of the possibilities...

See that's my problem with this whole reboot. Why use the iconic Kirk/Spock/Original Crew in the first place? The original series (tv and movies) were great for their time. Why mess with a good thing. There is so much they could have done past the Next Gen time area (new type of ship, a new crew, new obstacles, klingons, ferengi, etc). They just went with the original crew idea to make a quick buck.

To me it felt cheep - like Lucas re-releasing the original Star Wars trilogy with updated CGI and "additional scenes". It wasn't necessary. Heck, they even redone the original Star Trek tv series with CGI. That was really, really lame. I don't hate the new movie, I just didn't like the setting.

Also, I thought the young Spock (in the new movie) was just a more advanced student, sort of like a prodigy, which was helping the teachers program the Kobayashi Maru test. I guess I didn't get that he was actually a teacher. If he was that would make sense then.

khrome
05-28-2009, 12:27 PM
See that's my problem with this whole reboot. Why use the iconic Kirk/Spock/Original Crew in the first place? The original series (tv and movies) were great for their time. Why mess with a good thing. There is so much they could have done past the Next Gen time area (new type of ship, a new crew, new obstacles, klingons, ferengi, etc). They just went with the original crew idea to make a quick buck.

I think that would have worked for a new tv series but I don't think people would pay money to see a Star Trek movie with characters they are not familiar with.

I'm not going to try to sway anyone's opinion because people have valid reasons for not liking it. I'll just say if you accept multiverses you most likely will like the movie. And if you don't, then you won't. I used to hate movies messing with timelines pre-X-men so I know what it's like. When my ex put X-men in perspective with the comics - like it was just another universe, not an *adaptation* then it all made sense. Multiverses don't bother me anymore. :)

Another good thing is since it's own timeline, you are free to include it or exclude it with your idea of Star Trek is, as a whole. It's what I do with SW ep 1-3. As far as I'm concerned, there's only 3 REAL SW movies. lol

Ukulele JJ
05-28-2009, 12:52 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there's only 3 REAL SW movies. lol

Seriously. I wish someone (Joss Whedon?) would do a reboot of episodes I-III. They sorely need one.

JJ

seeso
05-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Seriously. I wish someone (Joss Whedon?) would do a reboot of episodes I-III. They sorely need one.

JJ

Interesting you mention Joss Whedon. There are ongoing talks to reboot Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a movie without Sarah Michelle Gellar, Willow, Xander, Giles or Whedon.

JT_Ukes
05-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Interesting you mention Joss Whedon. There are ongoing talks to reboot Buffy the Vampire Slayer as a movie without Sarah Michelle Gellar, Willow, Xander, Giles or Whedon.

Need More Firefly.....

That is all

khrome
05-28-2009, 02:42 PM
Need More Firefly.....

That is all

Agreed!

Yes I heard the rumor about Buffy. It's suppose to be a project of the director of the original Buffy movie. But from the way the reporters reported it, it almost sounded like she said it casually, in passing, and it's the reporters that are blowing it out of proportion, trying to be the first to report it. I'm skeptical at this point that it's going to happen.

seeso
05-28-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm skeptical at this point that it's going to happen.

I also doubt it'll happen. The Whedonites are in an uproar.

Need More Firefly.....

I think you'll be waiting a looooong time for that to happen. If ever. Your best bet for more browncoat action is in the comics, and even those are few.

http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/400/13/13470.jpg

JT_Ukes
05-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I also doubt it'll happen. The Whedonites are in an uproar.

I think you'll be waiting a looooong time for that to happen. If ever. Your best bet for more browncoat action is in the comics, and even those are few.

http://images.darkhorse.com/covers/400/13/13470.jpg

As long as a man can dream, the Alliance ain't got a chance....

cent
05-28-2009, 07:41 PM
just got done watching it tonite.
i enjoyed it. great popcorn movie. good story line, action, numerous moments of comical relief, wasn't boring (about 40 mins in to the flick, nature starts calling like crazy but i didn't want to miss anything so i waited 'til the end credits to relieve myself.) i'd recommend it to others.
unless of course, you're like the comic book guy from the simpsons "in episode 257 of the tv series the glagorike monster on planet mordamac was a indigo purple yet in the movie the monster was clearly magenta. worst movie ever.";) i jest but seriously for the most part the characters were true to their predecessors even if some of it was exaggerated. jim still the playboy w/ the alien babes, bones always being melodramatic, uhuru being hot, spock forever trying to be logical. heck, i even enjoyed seeing sulu kicking some butt which was unforseen but very welcomed.
i was amazed that i was even able to identify some of the catch phrases. i'd forgotten them but when i would hear it, i'd think to myself classic cap'n kirk, or bones or whoever. i'd completely forgotten about the social commentary however until i read this thread. i didn't really miss it. (i'm hoping that when you guys refer to the social commentary, you guys are referring to the captain's log when and he starts talking about the culture of the aliens or whatever they've discovered or encountered.)
pesonally, i think that the whole new alternate reality thing gives the uss enterprise more voyages, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and civilization, to boldly go where they've never been before.

JT_Ukes
05-28-2009, 08:24 PM
just got done watching it tonite.
i enjoyed it. great popcorn movie. good story line, action, numerous moments of comical relief, wasn't boring (about 40 mins in to the flick, nature starts calling like crazy but i didn't want to miss anything so i waited 'til the end credits to relieve myself.) i'd recommend it to others.
unless of course, you're like the comic book guy from the simpsons "in episode 257 of the tv series the glagorike monster on planet mordamac was a indigo purple yet in the movie the monster was clearly magenta. worst movie ever.";) i jest but seriously for the most part the characters were true to their predecessors even if some of it was exaggerated. jim still the playboy w/ the alien babes, bones always being melodramatic, uhuru being hot, spock forever trying to be logical. heck, i even enjoyed seeing sulu kicking some butt which was unforseen but very welcomed.
i was amazed that i was even able to identify some of the catch phrases. i'd forgotten them but when i would hear it, i'd think to myself classic cap'n kirk, or bones or whoever. i'd completely forgotten about the social commentary however until i read this thread. i didn't really miss it. (i'm hoping that when you guys refer to the social commentary, you guys are referring to the captain's log when and he starts talking about the culture of the aliens or whatever they've discovered or encountered.)
pesonally, i think that the whole new alternate reality thing gives the uss enterprise more voyages, to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and civilization, to boldly go where they've never been before.

Amen

:)

khrome
05-28-2009, 08:48 PM
Did you all see the tribble? :D

seeso
05-28-2009, 09:27 PM

Are you serious? Nuh uh.

beeejums
05-29-2009, 07:36 AM

UGH no offense to you anyone here, but I feel so :wallbash: every time someone looks at a movie and says "OMG THEY RIPPED THE PLOT FROM STAR WARZZ"

I could try to give smart reasons why, but it boils down to the joke being old.

khrome
05-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Are you serious? Nuh uh.

Yah huh! And you can hear it too. If you don't want to know where it is, don't read the spoiler below!!

>>> SPOILER ALERT >>> SPOILER ALERT >>>SPOILER ALERT >>>

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

B

E

L

O

W

|
|
|
V

|
|
|
v

|
|
|
v

it's in the first scene with Scotty, on his desk in a cage.

seeso
05-29-2009, 09:57 AM
Yah huh! And you can hear it too.

Hah! You're right!

http://i39.tinypic.com/f9qp06.jpg

Spooner
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
There are only two things I would want corrected in this film:

1) Recast Chechov
2) Knock out the Spock/Uhora thing.

Other than that this film was brilliant from start to finish!!!!
I was wowed!!!

JT_Ukes
05-29-2009, 11:30 AM
There are only two things I would want corrected in this film:

1) Recast Chechov
2) Knock out the Spock/Uhora thing.

Other than that this film was brilliant from start to finish!!!!
I was wowed!!!

1 no
2 no

Checov was cast brilliantly and the Spock/Uhura thing ads a new dimension to Spock as there is no nurse Chapel yet.

Spooner
05-29-2009, 11:40 AM
1 no
2 no

Checov was cast brilliantly and the Spock/Uhura thing ads a new dimension to Spock as there is no nurse Chapel yet.

Dude..he had CURLY, almost blonde hair lolol.

khrome
05-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Dude..he had CURLY, almost blonde hair lolol.

Starbuck used to be a man and Boomer used to be an African American man. Blonde hair is not that big of a deal. lol

That guy who played Chekov is muy talented. He also played young Kyle Reese in T4 and I didn't even realize it was him until I looked him up on IMDB after the movie.

seeso
05-29-2009, 12:34 PM
I didn't know Winona Ryder was in Star Trek until I looked it up on IMDB.

Ukulele JJ
05-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I didn't know Winona Ryder was in Star Trek until I looked it up on IMDB.

Although it was a pretty strong clue when, as the cliff was disintegrating beneath her, she started shouting "Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!".

JJ

HaileISela
05-29-2009, 01:21 PM
UGH no offense to you anyone here, but I feel so :wallbash: every time someone looks at a movie and says "OMG THEY RIPPED THE PLOT FROM STAR WARZZ"

I could try to give smart reasons why, but it boils down to the joke being old.

well, as much as I know, the director of the movie didn't watch any (or at least much) of the old ST universe and is a huge fan of SW, I think it's not a problem that the plot is close. I really liked the movie!

btw, watch this: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1897317

That guy who played Chekov is muy talented. He also played young Kyle Reese in T4 and I didn't even realize it was him until I looked him up on IMDB after the movie.

He was my favorite actor, he's brilliant. I f you didn't already you should watch "Charley Bartlett". He plays the main character.

khrome
05-29-2009, 01:51 PM
Although it was a pretty strong clue when, as the cliff was disintegrating beneath her, she started shouting "Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!".

JJ

:rotfl:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1897317

I have not seen Charley Bartlett - I'll have to check it out.

JT_Ukes
05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
although it was a pretty strong clue when, as the cliff was disintegrating beneath her, she started shouting "beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice!".

Jj

lol !

CoffeeMate
05-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Didn't notice that at all, that makes 3 things I like about the film.

Spooner
05-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Didn't notice that at all, that makes 3 things I like about the film.

Was there one?

I saw it on the IMAX screen and missed it.

CoffeeMate
05-29-2009, 03:18 PM
1 no
2 no

1. No

2. Yes please. Spock wasn't hot for nurse Chapel either. Spock is incapable of getting the hots for anyone outside of pon far and wouldn't go for a non vulcan chick anyway. It doesn't add new dimensions to the character at all, it is simply a device to get more sex into the movie.It doesn't matter that he is half human. This is probably the most irksome change they made. I just can't take it.

3. Kirk is such an ASS in this, he was always arrogant but not a total jerk. yeah yeah yeah, he's young, so flippin what

4. Captain of a star ship at 20 something surrounded by a bunch of other 20 somethings and a teenager? Really, Star Fleet didn't have any adults to send on this mission? unlikely.

5. LOVED the scenes with Scotty (except the tube thing, that was just dumb) missed the tribble on the desk, very nice add.

6. Chekov running down the corridor yelling I can do this I can do this, brilliant

7.Great action adventure, crap Star Trek

CoffeeMate
05-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Starbuck used to be a man and Boomer used to be an African American man. Blonde hair is not that big of a deal. lol

And Capt. Adama was a white guy

Didn't realize Chekov was Charlie Bartlett, love that flick.

AcousticMonster
05-29-2009, 06:20 PM
1. No

2. Yes please. Spock wasn't hot for nurse Chapel either. Spock is incapable of getting the hots for anyone outside of pon far and wouldn't go for a non vulcan chick anyway. It doesn't add new dimensions to the character at all, it is simply a device to get more sex into the movie.It doesn't matter that he is half human. This is probably the most irksome change they made. I just can't take it.

3. Kirk is such an ASS in this, he was always arrogant but not a total jerk. yeah yeah yeah, he's young, so flippin what

4. Captain of a star ship at 20 something surrounded by a bunch of other 20 somethings and a teenager? Really, Star Fleet didn't have any adults to send on this mission? unlikely.

5. LOVED the scenes with Scotty (except the tube thing, that was just dumb) missed the tribble on the desk, very nice add.

6. Chekov running down the corridor yelling I can do this I can do this, brilliant

7.Great action adventure, crap Star Trek

I agree with all these points! Specially #4 and #7. Come on JT_Ukes...Defend your QUOTE alternate END QUOTE universe! :p

I would have also recast Uhura. Unless she gets a serious Andorian Boob Job between this movie and the sequel, Zoe Saldana didn't "fill" certain parts that Nichelle Nichols had...if you know what I mean. :D

CoffeeJunkee
05-29-2009, 06:29 PM
I agree with all these points! Specially #4 and #7. Come on JT_Ukes...Defend your QUOTE alternate END QUOTE universe! :p

I would have also recast Uhura. Unless she gets a serious Andorian Boob Job between this movie and the sequel, Zoe Saldana didn't "fill" certain parts that Nichelle Nichols had...if you know what I mean. :D

Nichelle was a stunner back in the day, wasn't she?!?!?!:D

AcousticMonster
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Nichelle was a stunner back in the day, wasn't she?!?!?!:D

Yup! :shaka:

JT_Ukes
05-29-2009, 06:50 PM

The roles were not cast via cup size.

2. I have a feeling having your mother killed "in front of your eyes" may bring out a bit more of Spocks human side.

Pon Far is how Vulcan biology works, Spock is only 1/2 Vulcan and as we all know.. Sex is a HUGE part of what makes us human... so 1/2 of what makes Spock tick is Human. Just because the Prime Universe Spock tried to hold to the Vulcan ideal, does not mean that the U2 Spock will.

3. The Kirk we first met in UP (Universe Prime) had been Captain for a while, and had a different upbrining than the one in U2, so he will not be exactly the same.

4. The Enterprise was not comissioned yet, not fully manned. It did have a captain (Pike) and some seinor officers.. like SPOCK. it was an emergency.. the crewed it with what they had, almost graduated cadets form the Academy.

For the record, TOS was a campy social commentary wrapped by a sci fi shell. Brilliantly done and fun to watch. I was a bigger fan of Next Gen, and loved DS9, Voyager was eh, and when I finally watched Enterprise, the Last 2 seasons were Awesome.

I like the changes made and look forward to seeing what becomes of the characters we get to learn about again.

CoffeeJunkee
05-29-2009, 07:06 PM
The roles were not cast via cup size.

2. I have a feeling having your mother killed "in front of your eyes" may bring out a bit more of Spocks human side.

Pon Far is how Vulcan biology works, Spock is only 1/2 Vulcan and as we all know.. Sex is a HUGE part of what makes us human... so 1/2 of what makes Spock tick is Human. Just because the Prime Universe Spock tried to hold to the Vulcan ideal, does not mean that the U2 Spock will.

3. The Kirk we first met in UP (Universe Prime) had been Captain for a while, and had a different upbrining than the one in U2, so he will not be exactly the same.

4. The Enterprise was not comissioned yet, not fully manned. It did have a captain (Pike) and some seinor officers.. like SPOCK. it was an emergency.. the crewed it with what they had, almost graduated cadets form the Academy.

For the record, TOS was a campy social commentary wrapped by a sci fi shell. Brilliantly done and fun to watch. I was a bigger fan of Next Gen, and loved DS9, Voyager was eh, and when I finally watched Enterprise, the Last 2 seasons were Awesome.

I like the changes made and look forward to seeing what becomes of the characters we get to learn about again.

I don't buy it.... I all sounds to much like "Crisis of Infinite Earths".... (comic geeks will get that)..... LOL....Seriously though, I get that people like the movie.... And I get WHY they like it.... AND I agree that the franchise needed a reboot.... I ,personally, dont like the way it was done!

JT_Ukes
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I don't buy it.... I all sounds to much like "Crisis of Infinite Earths".... (comic geeks will get that)..... LOL....Seriously though, I get that people like the movie.... And I get WHY they like it.... AND I agree that the franchise needed a reboot.... I ,personally, dont like the way it was done!

ok .

JT_Ukes
05-29-2009, 07:10 PM
/me wonders when and how he became the defender of the new Star Trek on Ukulele Uderground...

Hell the movie was far form perfect...

Like... um...

SPOILERS>>>>>>>>

Hey my planet just got destroyed by a super nova, and I was flung 100 + years backwards in time... hmm What to do, what to do? Destroy the planet of the guy who was coming to help us, or GO WARN MY PEOPLE IT"S TIME TO LOOK FOR A NEW PLANET?

hmmmm

Spooner
05-29-2009, 07:13 PM
/me wonders when and how he became the defender of the new Star Trek on Ukulele Uderground...

"It is illogical to dispute Star Trek on an ukulele message board."

http://brainfag.com/journal/startrek_spock.jpg

Hell...I'm feeling more dweebish when I use the two in the same sentence. :p

CoffeeJunkee
05-29-2009, 07:26 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!:rotfl:

CoffeeMate
05-29-2009, 07:33 PM

MAHAAHAAHAAHA! :worship:

Spooner
05-29-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm glad you liked that CM/CJ. lol. :shaka:

Wait...did we enter an alternate universe and the two of you are the same person?

CoffeeJunkee
05-29-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm glad you liked that CM/CJ. lol. :shaka:

Wait...did we enter an alternate universe and the two of you are the same person?

Yeah, it's kinda like Battlestar Galactica.... I'm the original Starbuck....and she is the hot female version in the re-make!;)

CoffeeMate
05-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, it's kinda like Battlestar Galactica.... I'm the original Starbuck....and she is the hot female version in the re-make!;)

Yeah, something like that. LOL :rolleyes:

JT_Ukes
05-29-2009, 07:42 PM

OH and that Reboot is OK with you??????

heh

Spooner
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
OK...I think I've got a handle on the Coffee situation now.

I'm not just a pretty face. :p

http://yourfaceisanadvert.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/quark.gif

CoffeeJunkee
05-29-2009, 07:49 PM

heh

Oh trust me..... THAT reboot was FAR from okay with me!..... At first anyway, but it did grow on me. I still dont see the need for the MAJOR character changes though.I just think about it as a sci fi show that happens to have a few similarities to an old show with the same name.... It helps me sleep better at night...LOL

I never had the same feelings and loyalties to BSG that I have with TOS. What else can I say. I fear and hate change in my life....LOL:wallbash:

khrome
05-29-2009, 10:21 PM
I never had the same feelings and loyalties to BSG that I have with TOS. What else can I say. I fear and hate change in my life....LOL:wallbash:

I had more loyalties towards the original BSG than ST. It's my favorite sci-fi series ever. I like both old and new, but if I were to choose one to watch on a rainy day, it would be the original for sure.

(pic of me blinking with Richard Hatch. doh!)

CoffeeMate
05-30-2009, 06:59 AM
I had more loyalties towards the original BSG than ST. It's my favorite sci-fi series ever. I like both old and new, but if I were to choose one to watch on a rainy day, it would be the original for sure.

(pic of me blinking with Richard Hatch. doh!)

ooo ooo ooo SWEET picture, blinking gives the composition life. hehe

AcousticMonster
05-30-2009, 04:20 PM

I didn't like the direction either.

Hell the movie was far form perfect...

Like... um...

SPOILERS>>>>>>>>

Hey my planet just got destroyed by a super nova, and I was flung 100 + years backwards in time... hmm What to do, what to do? Destroy the planet of the guy who was coming to help us, or GO WARN MY PEOPLE IT"S TIME TO LOOK FOR A NEW PLANET?

hmmmm

I thought I was the defender of Star Trek here? :D

JT_Ukes...I challenge you to Qab jIH nagil - Batleths at 12 paces!

heh

I had some issues with the BG "reboot" as well. But it was more tolerable than the ST movie.

OK...I think I've got a handle on the Coffee situation now.

I'm not just a pretty face. :p

http://yourfaceisanadvert.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/quark.gif

The Ferengi were my favorite race in DS9!

Oh trust me..... THAT reboot was FAR from okay with me!..... At first anyway, but it did grow on me. I still dont see the need for the MAJOR character changes though.I just think about it as a sci fi show that happens to have a few similarities to an old show with the same name.... It helps me sleep better at night...LOL

I like the new BG until the end of the 2nd season when they shot the captain. I quit watching after that. I like the original series way better.

CoffeeJunkee
05-30-2009, 09:13 PM
I like the new BG until the end of the 2nd season when they shot the captain. I quit watching after that. I like the original series way better.

Awwwww dude, you missed soooooo frackin' much! Go back and watch it, you wont be disappointed!. And I like the original better too!

seeso
05-30-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't really remember the original BSG, but I loved the reboot.

mmm... katee sackhoff...

CoffeeJunkee
05-30-2009, 09:23 PM
I thought I was the defender of Star Trek here? :D

JT_Ukes...I challenge you to Qab jIH nagil - Batleths at 12 paces!

If this is to happen,then I suggest it take place at Qam-Chee!

CoffeeJunkee
05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
mmm... Katee sackhoff...

mmmmmmmm indeed! :d

AcousticMonster
05-31-2009, 07:18 PM
Awwwww dude, you missed soooooo frackin' much! Go back and watch it, you wont be disappointed!. And I like the original better too!

Meh...I didn't like a lot of the BG reboot. I was kind of disappointed with the Dr. Who reboot as well. But at least I can watch that one without my stomach turning.

If this is to happen,then I suggest it take place at Qam-Chee!

Qapla'!

mmmmmmmm indeed! :d

Yucky...I liked Grace Park 1000% more. Boomer was Nummy!

JT_Ukes
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Meh...I didn't like a lot of the BG reboot. I was kind of disappointed with the Dr. Who reboot as well. But at least I can watch that one without my stomach turning.

Now I know you are High.

The Doctor is not a reboot, it's a continuation.

And Battlestar was a complete re imagining, the end stunk, but it was a fun ride.

AcousticMonster
05-31-2009, 09:07 PM
Now I know you are High.

The Doctor is not a reboot, it's a continuation.

And Battlestar was a complete re imagining, the end stunk, but it was a fun ride.

Nope, not high...I guess the new Dr. Who is a little of both. If you want to mix words, lol. Each doctor is a reboot, since they switch actors, and they give him a different look/quirks. Yes it is a continuation, but they did change some of the aspects of the show.

I love the first season with Christopher Eccleston, then he bailed. This pissed me off since I thought he was the best doctor since Tom Baker. Plus I despised the Rose character.

I didn't mean to look like I was picking on you JT. I was just trying to bring some Klingon humor to things. :D

CoffeeJunkee
05-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Nope, not high...I guess the new Dr. Who is a little of both. If you want to mix words, lol. Each doctor is a reboot, since they switch actors, and they give him a different look/quirks. Yes it is a continuation, but they did change some of the aspects of the show.

I love the first season with Christopher Eccleston, then he bailed. This pissed me off since I thought he was the best doctor since Tom Baker. Plus I despised the Rose character.

I didn't mean to look like I was picking on you JT. I was just trying to bring some Klingon humor to things. :D

God I hated Rose and her stupid chav mother!.... Couldnt stand Micky either. I love Martha and Donna though...... Shame what had to be done about Donna, they were best mates....

whetu
06-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I like the new BG until the end of the 2nd season when they shot the captain.

:stop: Adama's rank was Commander, not Captain

/pedant :)

I really enjoyed the new BSG, I did think it got a bit insipid at points e.g. all the political nonsense with the quorum and their demands etc reduces the replay value for me. Tie-ins to the original series such as in Razor were well done, though the final did leave me scratching my head - I got most of the points, but some of it was really :wtf:

As for the Star Trek movie - it's been a long while since I saw a movie that I'd go back to the cinema and watch again. Wolverine, in contrast, was a huge let down.

I wasn't all that keen on how quickly Kirk jumped up the ranks (cadet straight to captain of the brand-spanking-new flagship? Wouldn't starfleet command be questioning at least Pike on that?), or on old Spock's lack of using time-travel to just go back and fix everything - he was intimately familiar with the solar slingshot, and surely in this universe the guardian of forever is still around, so he wasn't short of options. Old Spock needs to watch some Back To The Future trilogy and get a clue! ;)

I really liked how they kept the humour toned down and subtle, because as we know: when Star Trek turns up the humour dial we get Star Trek V.

Nero as a villain was no Kahn, but hell.. it could have been worse (sybok, kruge, any of the TNG movie villains), I'd put him on the same level as General Chang - a not-all-that-bad-really guy with an understandable motivation.

Kirk's swagger towards any woman he saw cracked me up, and his third Kobayashi Maru, especially the finger gun had the cinema in fits. I felt that Spock was also portrayed as a much more layered character - he shows more feeling and protectiveness towards his mother, and at times you can tell he's struggling to contain his vulcan rage - certainly enabled by his human half. Definately a much more interesting and accurate portrayal IMHO.

Scotty's mention of Admiral Archer's prized beagle being lost in one of his transporter experiments had me being that guy: the only guy in the cinema laughing, clearly I was the only one who'd seen Enterprise.

All in all, I thought it was a brilliant flick with enough to keep casual treknerds like me happy, but with an appeal to a broader audience, and only shunning a small minority who will have to come around sooner or later. And if they still don't like it, they can just put the Orion girl sequence on a loop, then read this:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/05/08/ba-review-star-trek/

I just re-read all of the above and I think I need a new hobby... maybe a stringed instrument...

khrome
06-01-2009, 01:53 AM
God I hated Rose and her stupid chav mother!.... Couldnt stand Micky either. I love Martha and Donna though...... Shame what had to be done about Donna, they were best mates....

ZOMG I hated the finale. HATED it. But overall it was an awsome run with David Tennant - I love him as the doctor.

AcousticMonster
06-01-2009, 03:48 AM
ZOMG I hated the finale. HATED it. But overall it was an awsome run with David Tennant - I love him as the doctor.

So is the Doctor Who series finished then?

I was thinking last night after my post. If JT_Ukes wants to get technical...then the new Star Trek movie isn't a "reboot" either. Since old Spock was in it, it was a "continuation" of the old series (with old Spock living on in an alternate reality). So there is a chance for him to get back to his time line/reality. :rotfl:

JT_Ukes
06-01-2009, 03:58 AM
So is the Doctor Who series finished then?

I was thinking last night after my post. If JT_Ukes wants to get technical...then the new Star Trek movie isn't a "reboot" either. Since old Spock was in it, it was a "continuation" of the old series (with old Spock living on in an alternate reality). So there is a chance for him to get back to his time line/reality. :rotfl:

NO.

what part of MULTIVERSE don't you understand?

Yes, a continuation for Spock, but not for the rest to the Universe he is now in. And for Spock to find the right universe to go back to at the right time is statistically unpossible. but in ST that is like... 50/50

As for the duel, I'll take Blood wine and Spongbob ukulele's at 20 paces.

Ukulele JJ
06-01-2009, 05:24 AM
I was thinking last night after my post. If JT_Ukes wants to get technical...then the new Star Trek movie isn't a "reboot" either. Since old Spock was in it, it was a "continuation" of the old series (with old Spock living on in an alternate reality).

I suppose it depends on how you define "reboot".

If you see it as a complete re-do of a franchise, in a completely new "world", where the established characters as we know them do not apply whatsoever (similar to BSG and James Bond), then yeah, this isn't a reboot.

Because, as you point out, the new Star Trek is merely an alternate timeline in the same "universe" ("multiverse", really) as the original. Characters can (and did!) cross over. It's entirely logical and possible that, for example, the very same character of Q--played by John de Lancie even--could be in the next movie.*

It could be argued that the old canon technically still exists in the world of the new Star Trek. Only it has little to no effect on the canon now being established. It's not so much a "reboot" as it is "forking a new process".

That said, if you define reboot as simply a way to toss out the old canon and establish a new one, like Wikipedia currently does (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(fiction)), this movie certainly qualifies.

JJ

*And that would be bad-ass if you ask me!

AcousticMonster
06-01-2009, 06:14 AM
NO.

what part of MULTIVERSE don't you understand?

Yes, a continuation for Spock, but not for the rest to the Universe he is now in. And for Spock to find the right universe to go back to at the right time is statistically unpossible. but in ST that is like... 50/50

As for the duel, I'll take Blood wine and Spongbob ukulele's at 20 paces.

I understand what your are saying... :shaka:

I thought we were talking about the "Reboot" of the franchise...not the Star Trek "Universe". If the movie was a true "Reboot" like BG, like you were using on me earlier with my Doctor Who statement, they wouldn't have included Old Spock in the movie (or the whole Romulan time alteration thing). It's not a reboot, it's a continuance (or "alteration" in a time line). See Back to the Future!

Maaarty! :p

I suppose it depends on how you define "reboot".

If you see it as a complete re-do of a franchise, in a completely new "world", where the established characters as we know them do not apply whatsoever (similar to BSG and James Bond), then yeah, this isn't a reboot.

Because, as you point out, the new Star Trek is merely an alternate timeline in the same "universe" ("multiverse", really) as the original. Characters can (and did!) cross over. It's entirely logical and possible that, for example, the very same character of Q--played by John de Lancie even--could be in the next movie.*

It could be argued that the old canon technically still exists in the world of the new Star Trek. Only it has little to no effect on the canon now being established. It's not so much a "reboot" as it is "forking a new process".

That said, if you define reboot as simply a way to toss out the old canon and establish a new one, like Wikipedia currently does (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reboot_(fiction)), this movie certainly qualifies.

JJ

*And that would be bad-ass if you ask me!

I was only going by what was define as "Reboot" in regards to my Doctor Who statement. I don't think of the movie as a true reboot like Battlestar Gallatica. That was what my problem with the movie was. If they want to restart the movie series with the Kirk/Spock characters - don't include the Old Spock and Time Alteration stuff.

To be honest, I thought the new movie (and new movie series if it goes that way) was suppose to be the time between when they graduated Star Fleet and the beginning of the original TV Series. There was also talk of Matt Damon and Ben Affleck playing Kirk and Spock. That would really have been a tragedy.

Also, if we want to use the Multiverse theory, then I guess the new Battlestar could be an alternate reality too. :D

Ukulele JJ
06-01-2009, 07:07 AM
Also, if we want to use the Multiverse theory, then I guess the new Battlestar could be an alternate reality too. :D

True. In fact, it very well might've been, given how they kept harping on the whole "all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again" thing.

JJ

AcousticMonster
06-01-2009, 07:32 AM
True. In fact, it very well might've been, given how they kept harping on the whole "all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again" thing.

JJ

That's what always bugged my about the pilot episode. They showed the old Vipers and mentioned the old Cylons in the series pilot. I always wondered if they were going to say at some point that the new BG was just a continuance of the original series. Of coarse I quit watching after the captain/commander was shot so I don't know the whole story. :p

CoffeeMate
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
http://www.scandalouscandice.com/.a/6a00e551becc988834010536a68af1970b-800wi

Behold the new Dr. Who...new series begins 2010 or Christmas 2009. Yea! I was kinda hoping for an older doctor this time but we get eye candy instead. I guess they gots to keep the ladies happy. ;).

The two holiday specials so far this year have been pretty good. I wonder when the next one will be hmmm....

AcousticMonster, you should give the new BSG a try, it really was very good. I haven't watched the last season yet, but I am told it was great. They KIND OF explain the old vipers etc. later in the series. Just think of it as a reboot :p

I have to admit, we have the complete original BSG in the super cool cylon face box but I have only watched a handful of episodes, I vaguely remember seeing some of the original on the TV but not much so the new revamped BGS didn't bother me at all. PLUS Edward James Almos was amazing in it, the guy they cast as Apollo was crap.

AcousticMonster
06-01-2009, 06:25 PM
http://www.scandalouscandice.com/.a/6a00e551becc988834010536a68af1970b-800wi

Behold the new Dr. Who...new series begins 2010 or Christmas 2009. Yea! I was kinda hoping for an older doctor this time but we get eye candy instead. I guess they gots to keep the ladies happy. ;).

The two holiday specials so far this year have been pretty good. I wonder when the next one will be hmmm....

AcousticMonster, you should give the new BSG a try, it really was very good. I haven't watched the last season yet, but I am told it was great. They KIND OF explain the old vipers etc. later in the series. Just think of it as a reboot :p

I have to admit, we have the complete original BSG in the super cool cylon face box but I have only watched a handful of episodes, I vaguely remember seeing some of the original on the TV but not much so the new revamped BGS didn't bother me at all. PLUS Edward James Almos was amazing in it, the guy they cast as Apollo was crap.

Wow, are they trying to make the new Doc look like a Twilight vampire? :biglaugh:

Yeah, I will have to watch BSG at some point. I really want to go back and rewatch the Doctor Who series since they have it on Netflix. Time is my only enemy right now.

CoffeeMate
06-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow, are they trying to make the new Doc look like a Twilight vampire? :biglaugh:

Yeah, I will have to watch BSG at some point. I really want to go back and rewatch the Doctor Who series since they have it on Netflix. Time is my only enemy right now.

HAHAHAHAHA :cheers: As long as he doesn't sparkle or start stalking 16 years olds.

Which Doctor Who? The new ones or the old? Regardless We have a bunch on DVD, could probably send some your way. I'm sure we (by we I mean CoffeeJunkee) could make a "back up" copy or two. :D

AcousticMonster
06-02-2009, 11:58 AM
HAHAHAHAHA :cheers: As long as he doesn't sparkle or start stalking 16 years olds.

Which Doctor Who? The new ones or the old? Regardless We have a bunch on DVD, could probably send some your way. I'm sure we (by we I mean CoffeeJunkee) could make a "back up" copy or two. :D

The new ones. I made it until they got rid of Rose and introduced the sidekick in the Bridal Gown. I quite watching after that.

I have Netflix...so I have made a lot of "backup" copies as well. :cool: Lots and Lots of backups.

CoffeeJunkee
06-05-2009, 04:09 PM
This explains so much!....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8irt6oj2HA&NR=1

cpatch
06-05-2009, 04:17 PM
the guy they cast as Apollo was crap.
No kidding, they should have cast the guy who played Tom Zarek instead.;)

khrome
06-05-2009, 04:37 PM

lol! I don't know what's funnier - this vid, or that someone actually had all those toys!

khrome
06-05-2009, 05:07 PM
The new ones. I made it until they got rid of Rose and introduced the sidekick in the Bridal Gown. I quite watching after that.

Donna Noble turned out to be an awsome companion and character. I was pretty upset with how they wrapped up her story in the end.

CoffeeJunkee
06-05-2009, 05:39 PM

HAHAHHAHAHA! :rotfl:

CoffeeJunkee
06-05-2009, 05:41 PM
lol! I don't know what's funnier - this vid, or that someone actually had all those toys!

Here's something scary for you.... I have almost 200 Star Trek action figures.... :eek:

CoffeeJunkee
06-05-2009, 05:42 PM
Donna Noble turned out to be an awsome companion and character. I was pretty upset with how they wrapped up her story in the end.

I loved Donna.... Hated what they did to her! :mad:

AcousticMonster
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Here's something scary for you.... I have almost 200 Star Trek action figures.... :eek:

The big ones or the small ones?

AcousticMonster
06-05-2009, 09:08 PM

Yeah, that was pretty cool. I like the Bill and Ted part!

I'm gonna have to go back and catch up on Doctor Who. I can't remember, but when did the Bride character get introduced? Was it at the end of season 2? I can't remember.

CoffeeJunkee
06-05-2009, 11:06 PM
The big ones or the small ones?

I have 6 of the 10 inch figures, several 8 inch mego's some still in the packageing and the rest are the small 3 3/4 in figures

I also have some of the Star wars figures from the first edition circa 1978-79

CoffeeJunkee
06-05-2009, 11:12 PM
Donna Noble (The Runaway Bride) became a full time companion in April 2008's series four premiere, "Partners in Crime"

CoffeeMate
06-06-2009, 05:30 AM

LOL :rofl: too true, he was a much better Apollo

CoffeeMate
06-06-2009, 06:18 AM
I have 6 of the 10 inch figures, several 8 inch mego's some still in the packageing and the rest are the small 3 3/4 in figures

I also have some of the Star wars figures from the first edition circa 1978-79

Proof I am WAAAY to indulgent :p

AcousticMonster
06-06-2009, 08:04 PM

LOL, no way. The last picture...is that the "hunter" from the DS9 episode Taask, or Task? It was the pre-dominion aliens from the wormhole.

DS9 was my favorite of the Star Trek series.

CoffeeMate
06-06-2009, 08:19 PM
LOL, no way. The last picture...is that the "hunter" from the DS9 episode Taask, or Task? It was the pre-dominion aliens from the wormhole.

DS9 was my favorite of the Star Trek series.

Holy crap, you are such a geek :D

YES it is!!! Only it is Hunter of the Tosk according to the card he was standing on.

I just realized the card is actually a pog, heh . They are calling them space caps though.

Spooner
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Guys...I'm worried about you!!!

What's worse...is I know exactly what you are talking about. :p

Captain Google
06-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I just realized the card is actually a pog, heh . They are calling them space caps though.

Oh god, pogs. I actually remember those (caught them at the tail end of the 90s, then never heard of them again).

On a side note, I was pretty big on the original Pokemon trading card game. I even had the (un)official card pricing guide and TCG vid-ya game. All I have left is a single Jinx card.:(

Back on topic, I have yet to see the movie, but I intend to.

AcousticMonster
06-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Holy crap, you are such a geek :D

YES it is!!! Only it is Hunter of the Tosk according to the card he was standing on.

I can't help it. DS9 and Ferengi were my favorite! I actually tried to get a Ferengi podcast going, but it only lasted two episodes.

LOL, and women wonder how come I'm still single.

It's okay. I'm happy with my geeky-ness.

Oh god, pogs. I actually remember those (caught them at the tail end of the 90s, then never heard of them again).

On a side note, I was pretty big on the original Pokemon trading card game. I even had the (un)official card pricing guide and TCG vid-ya game. All I have left is a single Jinx card.:(

Heh...I use to have an original set of first edition Magic the Gathering cards. I traded them off like a dumby and now they are worth a fortune on Ebay. So goes my life.

Captain Google
06-06-2009, 09:52 PM
It still pains me when I think if the value of a first-edition Charizard.

khrome
06-07-2009, 12:17 AM

Doood that's hardcore. lol!! Mattel just came out with 3 12" dolls for the new movie. They look pretty decent.

I didn't play Pokemon but I played Magic. I still have my old deck. I don't plan to get rid of it (even though most of the cards are banned now. lol)

Pogs!! How funny. There used to be a turn-based table-top fantasy game called Diskwars that used pog-like pieces. They were all different sizes. It as pretty fun until you realize how much money you spent on round pieces of cardboard. lol I guess that's true for all the collectable games tho.

CoffeeJunkee
06-07-2009, 01:02 AM
Heh...I use to have an original set of first edition Magic the Gathering cards. I traded them off like a dumby and now they are worth a fortune on Ebay. So goes my life.

Damn dude! Why arent we best friends or something.... You're into Star Trek AND you play (or played) M:TG.... I'm into Star Trek and STILL play Magic (every week in fact)!

If you tell me you play DnD and collect comics I'm gonna leave my wife for you! :D

CoffeeJunkee
06-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Doood that's hardcore. lol!! Mattel just came out with 3 12" dolls for the new movie. They look pretty decent.

I didn't play Pokemon but I played Magic. I still have my old deck. I don't plan to get rid of it (even though most of the cards are banned now. lol)

Pogs!! How funny. There used to be a turn-based table-top fantasy game called Diskwars that used pog-like pieces. They were all different sizes. It as pretty fun until you realize how much money you spent on round pieces of cardboard. lol I guess that's true for all the collectable games tho.

I'll have to check out the new figures.... CoffeeMate and I have amassed well over 10,000 (yes ten thousand) Magic cards over the past 12 years.... I got some nice ones from Alpha to the most recent block.

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Damn dude! Why arent we best friends or something.... You're into Star Trek AND you play (or played) M:TG.... I'm into Star Trek and STILL play Magic (every week in fact)!

If you tell me you play DnD and collect comics I'm gonna leave my wife for you! :D

Dude, YOUR MARRIED to ME, I play magic, DnD and collect the comics WITH you. WTF :mad:

:D

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 03:05 PM
I can't help it. DS9 and Ferengi were my favorite! I actually tried to get a Ferengi podcast going, but it only lasted two episodes.

LOL, and women wonder how come I'm still single.

It's okay. I'm happy with my geeky-ness.

You should find a geeky girl to be geeky with.

Yes! Embrace your inner geek, I am so proud of my dorky side. One of my old bosses described me as nice but a little woo woo. I'm not sure what that means but I don't think it was meant as a compliment. ;)

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 03:06 PM

one of us one of us :eek:

CoffeeJunkee
06-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Dude, YOUR MARRIED to ME, I play magic, DnD and collect the comics WITH you. WTF :mad:

:D

Oh yeah, but he prolly likes football.... you hate football!

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Khrome, ONE deck?? just one little ol' deck?? You should look the cards up on e-bay find out if you have anything expensive and sell em. People love the old cards. ;)

Captain Google, Dave sold/traded off his first batch of Magic cards a while ago. We didn't play and they were just sitting there. We kick ourselves too, got rid of some nice cards. :(

AcousticMonster
06-07-2009, 03:50 PM

Hah...I did play D&D, AD&D, and had autographed box sets from the one of the original creators of the game. LOL, I also collected some comics but quit doing that right away. I have a few comic books around here but just one series.

Tell the wife to start packing her bags.

You should find a geeky girl to be geeky with.

Yes! Embrace your inner geek, I am so proud of my dorky side. One of my old bosses described me as nice but a little woo woo. I'm not sure what that means but I don't think it was meant as a compliment. ;)

I've been trying, but they are very limited in my area. Maybe I should walk into a bar with my Millennium Falcon under my arm?

Khrome, ONE deck?? just one little ol' deck?? You should look the cards up on e-bay find out if you have anything expensive and sell em. People love the old cards. ;)

Captain Google, Dave sold/traded off his first batch of Magic cards a while ago. We didn't play and they were just sitting there. We kick ourselves too, got rid of some nice cards. :(

If she gives me her Magic cards I would marry Khrome! What do you say Khrome?

khrome
06-07-2009, 05:55 PM

It was one deck but I spent forever putting it together, testing it, balancing it - getting it perfect. It's a blue/black/red deck, it's not very fast but I love it. I use two "special" card just because they are fun and not because they are part of the overall strat of the deck - a Nalathni Dragon which I got AT Dragon Con before the Duelist included it in one of their issues.. (so annoying.) And a Two Headed Giant signed by Richard Garfield at that same con. He even drew little squiggly hairs on the giants' heads with bows. lol The deck usually ends with Nicol Bolas coming out and terrorizing everyone. Anyway, I eventually stopped playing and got rid of my other cards but I just can't part with that deck. :) I have too many happy memories of playing at the comic store and the coffee house across the street from it back in the day. I should scrapbook them. lol

If she gives me her Magic cards I would marry Khrome! What do you say Khrome?

I don't think my bf would approve! lol

Anyhoo, judging from all the talks of rpgs, comic books, ccg/tcg, pogs, figures, and other geek talk, it looks like I'm in good company. lol This thread rawks. Ohyeah, has anyone tried the WoW tcg? I bought a box of the first set and the MC expansion but I still haven't played - I just don't have time.

seeso
06-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Hee hee, I love how this is turning into the nerdy thread. :D

I collect comics! I wave my geek flag high!

Spooner
06-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh yeah, but he prolly likes football.... you hate football!

Guilty!!! :shaka:

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Hee hee, I love how this is turning into the nerdy thread. :D

I collect comics! I wave my geek flag high!

HaHa, RIGHT ON Seeso, let it show!

Whatcha collect? We actually stopped buying a few years ago,about the time damn Marvel and DC started huge runs split between several different titles, forcing you to buy stuff you wouldn't normally to get the full story.:mad: That and the fact we were spending 30-40 bucks every 2 weeks or so. We still need to finish the Y the last man run, we were getting those is trade paperback form. There are a bunch I miss reading. :(

For anyone who enjoys comics; Y the last man, Preacher and Watchman are must reads.

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
It was one deck but I spent forever putting it together, testing it, balancing it - getting it perfect. It's a blue/black/red deck, it's not very fast but I love it. I use two "special" card just because they are fun and not because they are part of the overall strat of the deck - a Nalathni Dragon which I got AT Dragon Con before the Duelist included it in one of their issues.. (so annoying.) And a Two Headed Giant signed by Richard Garfield at that same con. He even drew little squiggly hairs on the giants' heads with bows. lol The deck usually ends with Nicol Bolas coming out and terrorizing everyone. Anyway, I eventually stopped playing and got rid of my other cards but I just can't part with that deck. :) I have too many happy memories of playing at the comic store and the coffee house across the street from it back in the day. I should scrapbook them. lol

Anyhoo, judging from all the talks of rpgs, comic books, ccg/tcg, pogs, figures, and other geek talk, it looks like I'm in good company. lol This thread rawks. Ohyeah, has anyone tried the WoW tcg? I bought a box of the first set and the MC expansion but I still haven't played - I just don't have time.

Well , ok then :D Nicol Bolas is popular right now, they reintroduced him in the last set, revamped.
I have a deck like that, I must have spent two months perfecting it. . I never play it cause no one whats to have 100+ elves coming at them. It makes them sad for some reason.

Haven't tried WoW, we are sticking with MTG.

Yes, this thread does :rock:

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Guilty!!! :shaka:

Blah fooseball, uck :p

Spooner
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Blah fooseball, uck :p

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/wilmis1/kathy_bates_the_waterboy_001-1.jpg

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 08:06 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c24/wilmis1/kathy_bates_the_waterboy_001-1.jpg

LMFAO :rotfl:

Spooner
06-07-2009, 08:09 PM
http://content7.flixster.com/photo/36/41/66/3641669_gal.jpg

"You playin da foosball and leavin me here with no one to talk to but Steve?!" :nana:

CoffeeMate
06-07-2009, 08:16 PM
http:///www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1998/images/waterboy_waterboy.jpg

:rofl:

mama say gaters so ornry cause day got all dem teef but day aint go no toof brush.

Spooner
06-07-2009, 08:21 PM
http:///www.the-reel-mccoy.com/movies/1998/images/waterboy_waterboy.jpg

:rofl:

mama say gaters so ornry cause day got all dem teef but day aint go no toof brush.

LOLOL!!

http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1998_The_Waterboy/fairuza_balk_the_waterboy_001.jpg

"...and I touched Vicki Vallencort's boobies and I liked dose too!!!"

CoffeeJunkee
06-07-2009, 08:25 PM
This thread has drifted WAY off course!.... We need to get back on topic.... MY STAR TREK DOLLIES AND HOW COOL THEY ARE!....j/k.... carry on!

Spooner
06-07-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.sfbrain.co.uk/sf/visitor/kira07.jpg

"How's about you, me, a bottle of Romulan Ale and a tricorder. Let's see what we can find on each other."

This classic line was omitted from the first episode of DS9 and the episode title changed...originally "Space Station Girls Gone Wild."

seeso
06-07-2009, 08:37 PM
HaHa, RIGHT ON Seeso, let it show!

Whatcha collect? We actually stopped buying a few years ago,about the time damn Marvel and DC started huge runs split between several different titles, forcing you to buy stuff you wouldn't normally to get the full story.:mad: That and the fact we were spending 30-40 bucks every 2 weeks or so. We still need to finish the Y the last man run, we were getting those is trade paperback form. There are a bunch I miss reading. :(

For anyone who enjoys comics; Y the last man, Preacher and Watchman are must reads.

Comics have never been better. We're in a new golden age.

My favorite indies right now are The Walking Dead, The Boys, and Locke and Key. Also check out Mouse Guard.

I read Marvel comics mostly. I'm digging most of their stuff. If you have questions about any Marvel title, let me know. I'll tell you what I think about them. I really like Brubaker's Captain America, Aaron's Ghost Rider, and Cornell's Captain Marvel and the MI:13.

I don't read a lot of DC, but Green Lantern - Blackest Day is shaping up to be EPIC. I just got the first issue of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's new in-continuity Batman and Robin series (featuring a new Batman and Robin under the masks!). The first issue was great. It was fun, without losing any Morrison/Quitely weirdness.

AcousticMonster
06-07-2009, 09:12 PM

Hey, I won't tell if you don't. What do you say...buddy?

This thread has drifted WAY off course!.... We need to get back on topic.... MY STAR TREK DOLLIES AND HOW COOL THEY ARE!....j/k.... carry on!

I had mostly Star Wars toys until my mom threw them out. I was cheated out of selling them on Ebay. Curse you mommy!

http://www.sfbrain.co.uk/sf/visitor/kira07.jpg

"How's about you, me, a bottle of Romulan Ale and a tricorder. Let's see what we can find on each other."

This classic line was omitted from the first episode of DS9 and the episode title changed...originally "Space Station Girls Gone Wild."

Ah...Major Kira! I always liked her more than Dax. I would have shared a escape pod with Kira any day.:love:

My favorite indies right now are The Walking Dead, The Boys, and Locke and Key. Also check out Mouse Guard.

I read Marvel comics mostly. I'm digging most of their stuff. If you have questions about any Marvel title, let me know. I'll tell you Aaron' Ghost Rider, and Cornell's Captain Marvel and the MI:13.

I don't read a lot of DC, but Green Lantern - Blackest Day is shaping up to be EPIC. I just got the first issue of Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's new in-continuity Batman and Robin series (featuring a new Batman and Robin under the masks!). The first issue was great. It was fun, without losing any Morrison/Quitely weirdness.

The only comics I have left are my complete original "The Thing" series - when he split from the Fantastic 4, and some of the original comics from City of Heroes.

I wouldn't even know where to start in collecting again.

Spooner
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I still have interspecies thoughts about her lol.

She was way hotter than dax. Too bad she is married to Dr. Bashir.

khrome
06-08-2009, 12:09 AM
Well , ok then :D Nicol Bolas is popular right now, they reintroduced him in the last set, revamped.
I have a deck like that, I must have spent two months perfecting it. . I never play it cause no one whats to have 100+ elves coming at them. It makes them sad for some reason.

I saw that he was re-released - and it looks like MTG has changed the format of their cards. When did that happen? I was reading about the new card and it's just crazy. I wonder if it will get banned. lol

Hehe green decks rawk.

Hey, I won't tell if you don't. What do you say...buddy?

You'll have to sign a pre-nup that says I get all the toys. :D

Ah...Major Kira! I always liked her more than Dax. I would have shared a escape pod with Kira any day.:love:

No way. Seven of Nine can assimilate me all she wants. And I'm not even into girls. lol

http://www.geeknews.net/images/2008/02/seven-of-nine.jpg

HaileISela
06-08-2009, 02:19 AM
No way. Seven of Nine can assimilate me all she wants. And I'm not even into girls. lol

I always liked the logical characters the most. Spock, Data, Dax, Seven of Nine and of course my favorite:

http://www.beertripper.com/startrek_images/bp-ENT-TPol_Jolene_Blalock_Star_Trek_Enterprise.jpg

hmmmmm...

JT_Ukes
06-08-2009, 03:33 AM
I always liked the logical characters the most. Spock, Data, Dax, Seven of Nine and of course my favorite:

http://www.beertripper.com/startrek_images/bp-ENT-TPol_Jolene_Blalock_Star_Trek_Enterprise.jpg

hmmmmm...

oh T'Pol T'Pol T'Pol....

AcousticMonster
06-08-2009, 04:13 AM

hmmmmm...

Nah...I'd take Kira over boring 7 of 9 or T'Pol any day. I never understood the appeal of Jeri Ryan, other than a big set of "personalities". Jolene Blalock was hawt but I found her kind of boring.

Don't forget about Dabo Girl Leeta! She kept me watching DS9 too!
http://chaseclub.com/ff1.jpg

Spooner
06-08-2009, 07:35 AM

Well now that's a totally different show...and for me...resistance IS futile!!!! :D

khrome
06-08-2009, 02:04 PM
I never understood the appeal of Jeri Ryan, other than a big set of "personalities".

Well, seeing as I don't know Jeri Ryan in person, I couldn't tell you what the appeal of her is. I do like the Seven of Nine the CHARACTER tho. :p

CoffeeMate
06-10-2009, 08:28 PM

I read Marvel comics mostly. I'm digging most of their stuff. If you have questions about any Marvel title, let me know. I'll tell you what I think about them. I really like Brubaker's Captain America, Aaron's Ghost Rider, and Cornell's Captain Marvel and the MI:13.

Cool, cool. We used to get a wide variety of DC, Marvel, Indies. This was oh 3 or 4 years ago. Right around the relaunch of Green Lantern. Dave's a DC man, I don't care as long as it's a good story. Our problem is choosing a few and sticking with them. If I remember correctly we were up to 9 or 10 titles and that was before they started all the crossover crap..That gets dang expensive. I've heard good things about Locke and Key. I'm not familiar with the others. I'll have to look em up. Thanks for the suggestions. BTW If you've never read Cerabus it's another fantastic read. after all how can you go wrong with a sword weilding, booze swilling ardvark ;)