The New and Improved? Star Trek (SPOILERS)

The new Star Trek... Hooray or Nay

• Right On!!! Loved it

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • WTF

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I'm too cool for Star Trek, Star Trek is for geeks

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters

CoffeeMate

Reaction score
So whatcha y'all think of the new Star Trek?
Seems Dave and I are the only people who hate it. Things I liked about it.
1. The casting was excellent 2. Uhura was portrayed as more than a glorified telephone operator....um that's about it.
I never considered myself a trekkie or trekker (for those who prefer it) until I watched this piece of garbage. If I'd never seen Star Trek before I would have liked it. As far as Sci-Fi adventures goes it was great. But....I have seen Star Trek, and to me Star Trek, in all it's incarnations, has never been just another sci fi adventure. Where is the social commentary in this movie? I must of missed it during all the explosions, and asinine attempts at humor. At least they got the names right.

This movie boldly goes where no re-make has gone before

I thought this movie was outstanding. I consider myself a geek, but not the of the Trekie variety, so maybe I am off on this, but I thought the movie was awesome, better than Wolverine.

I used to watch the re-runs of this show back when I was a kid in the '70's and if memory serves, the new characters seemed to follow the old ones pretty close including the cantankerous 'Bones' and eccentric engineering genius "Scotty".

OHara is much hotter in this remake, a character deviation that I have no complaints about.

Where is the social commentary in this movie?

Yeah, I missed that too. The best Trek episodes and movie had some sort of "big idea" they were trying to get across. The new movie has a little bit of nice stuff about destiny, being human, friendship, etc. ...but mostly it was just an action pic.

But I'm okay with that, because it was a darn good action pic.

And let's be honest, there were times when Star Trek has been primarily just a fun, goofy space adventure. Have we forgotten about The Trouble With Tribbles? Or Star Trek IV? Or TNG's QPid? All classics.

So I'll cut 'em some slack on this one. Hopefully, now that the new cast and timeline have been established, the next movie will have a bit more weight to it.

JJ

Well I won't argue about it but I thought it was pretty true to Roddenberrys vision of Star Trek. The "social commentary"? Yeah the original series was loaded with it in ways that we don't even think about these days. Keep in mind that Bill Cosby was still a big deal being the first black male in a prime time series( I Spy) for just a year or so before. I guess if the social commentary seemed weak it could be that the human race may have progressed just a bit since the late '60s. I loved 17 year old Chekov with the acess denied to the computer because of his accent and then running for the transporter room yelling "I can do theese". Darned fine effort on all accounts I'd say.

So whatcha y'all think of the new Star Trek?
Seems Dave and I are the only people who hate it. Things I liked about it.
1. The casting was excellent 2. Uhura was portrayed as more than a glorified telephone operator....um that's about it.
I never considered myself a trekkie or trekker (for those who prefer it) until I watched this piece of garbage. If I'd never seen Star Trek before I would have liked it. As far as Sci-Fi adventures goes it was great. But....I have seen Star Trek, and to me Star Trek, in all it's incarnations, has never been just another sci fi adventure. Where is the social commentary in this movie? I must of missed it during all the explosions, and asinine attempts at humor. At least they got the names right.

They had to re-introduce the characters. like in all "first" movies, (ie Spiderman, Batman X-men.. etc...) there isn't that much time for anything else. The social commentary will come.

The Franchise is reborn, with a clean slate upon which to write. With a whole new fan base, partly because of the Action Movie you didn't like.

Give it time to breath.

JT

I liked the new movie, but I didn't like the alternate reality twist. Besides, I thought they killed off old Spock in the Next Generation series? How did he get into the movie if he was dead?

I really liked it, since I am a Trekkie as long as I can remember, I had loads of fun watching the way they found together...

but wow, the end got me like: uhm, did they just erase everything that happened after the "Enterprise" series? like hey, they query the whole ST universe...

oh, and the cast was a highscore... some of my favorite actors...

(maybe I liked it also because I am a Star Wars fan as well as long as I can remember: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892)

I really liked it, since I am a Trekkie as long as I can remember, I had loads of fun watching the way they found together...

but wow, the end got me like: uhm, did they just erase everything that happened after the "Enterprise" series? like hey, they query the whole ST universe...

(maybe I liked it also because I am a Star Wars fan as well as long as I can remember: http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1910892)

Yes they completely erased everything that ever happened in 40 plus years of star trek tv/movie/book history.

The cast was excellent, and it was well acted

Love the link btw

Yes they completely erased everything that ever happened in 40 plus years of star trek tv/movie/book history.

The cast was excellent, and it was well acted

Love the link btw

Didn't erase, it all still happens in an alternate timeline.

Didn't erase, it all still happens in an alternate timeline.

I see your point, I really do. Dave and I don't thinks of it that way. I don't want to get into it too much cause I don't want to give to much away for those who have not seen it. We don't like it, we seem to be the only people who don't, that's ok. I didn't realize we were so obsessed with Star Trek until one of my employees was telling me about the film and I found myself yelling in the middle of the store "Was he even in pon far?!" in reference to the passionate hug Spock and Uhura gave each other at the end. LOL, then I started thinking about all the Star Trek crap we have in the house...we have A LOT of stuff.

Last edited:
I loved the movie. It would have been nice with some social commentary, but I didn't miss it that much.

I see your point, I really do. Dave and I don't thinks of it that way. I don't want to get into it too much cause I don't want to give to much away for those who have not seen it. We don't like it, we seem to be the only people who don't, that's ok. I didn't realize we were so obsessed with Star Trek until one of my employees was telling me about the film and I found myself yelling in the middle of the store "Was he even in pon far?!" in reference to the passionate hug Spock and Uhura gave each other at the end. LOL, then I started thinking about all the Star Trek crap we have in the house...we have A LOT of stuff.

Spock is 1/2 human ya know.... Just because he chooses to (try and) follow his Vulcan half, doesn't mean he didn't enjoy a little sumptin-sumptin... :)

This was the only way they could revive the franchise. Which is a good thing.

Spock is 1/2 human ya know.... Just because he chooses to (try and) follow his Vulcan half, doesn't mean he didn't enjoy a little sumptin-sumptin... :)

This was the only way they could revive the franchise. Which is a good thing.

SPOILERS, PEOPLES! SPOILERS!!!!11:cool:

LOLOL

Great link!

My kid became a star wars fan this week. Here's how:

We were eating ice-pops on Monday when I commented that they were like lightsabers.
eat-drink-smiley-5165.gif

"What's a lightsaber daddy?"

Straight to YouTube we went.
lightsaber-battle.gif

Box set on the shelf- "Look daddy. These guys have lightsabers. Can we watch this?"

Yesterday- Rainy lazy day watching the whole original trilogy.

Today.. 1 new starwars fan.

star-wars-smiley-5478.gif

Since the spoilers are already out there...
I really enjoyed the movie. I liked the new cast. I liked seeing Leonard as Spock. I did NOT like using time travel as a convenient device for re-writing the whole Star Trek universe! I realize that time travel has been used in Star Trek in the past, but they always came back to the present or "un-did" whatever it was that altered the universe. Hmmm, maybe that's what they are planning for the next movie(s)?
Anyway, it seems like a cheap way out to get away with doing whatever they want. Seems like Terminator does the same thing as well, but hey, that's another thread, right?

Top Bottom