From Wine to Ukulele

YogiTom

Reaction score
I have had to give up drinking lately, and with it my collection of wines. Perhaps unsurprisingly, my UAS seems to have manifested in a way that seems to just have taken the wine’s place.

I find myself thinking things like, “yeah, that hardwood uke is pricey now, but great wood isn’t getting any cheaper or more available, it should continue to improve with age, etc.” The similarity in that justification for spending too much money is kind of mind boggling.

Still, if lusting after and acquiring ukes that look and sound amazing to me is wrong, not sure I want to be right. :cheers:

We did a gig for a downtown store back a few years ago and my wife got some custom label bottles of wine to take with us. One for us and the other for the store owner who asked us to play in her store.

Ioricans.jpg

As far as I know, ukuleles do not affect the liver!

You know when you maybe have an UAS issue when you hear something like this and consider that it might be a good time to give up drinking as well; if it meant more ukes!!

feeling you brother.
a much healthier alternative.
similarities for sure but the differential will enrich your life.
save it even eh.

When first I saw the title of this thread, I expected it to be about an ukulele build from the wood from old winebarrels.

But the actual topic seems healthier and probably sounds better.

Congrats with your new hobby!

When first I saw the title of this thread, I expected it to be about an ukulele build from the wood from old winebarrels.

But the actual topic seems healthier and probably sounds better.

Congrats with your new hobby!

Thanks! Although now I can’t help but wonder what a wine barrel uke would sound like...

It's hard to contemplate a world without either wine or Ukuleles. Both bring beauty to the world.

I found moderation with the wine, though I confess my palate isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtle differences in fine wines.
Moderation with ukuleles needs some work...

But then again, Robert A. Heinlein once wrote: “Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

It's hard to contemplate a world without either wine or Ukuleles. Both bring beauty to the world.

I found moderation with the wine, though I confess my palate isn't sophisticated enough to appreciate the subtle differences in fine wines.
Moderation with ukuleles needs some work...

But then again, Robert A. Heinlein once wrote: “Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
I like your attitude Ken. I think that it reflects my own. My wife markets wine for a Napa winery, so needless to say, we aren't getting rid of the wine. Also, almost every afternoon before supper I mix up a rum and Coke and sit down with my ukulele and play. It is how I relax and get rid of the stress of retirement and too much leisure time.

But my ukulele journey started out with it, drinking that is. Our neighbors would have a bon fire on the weekends and people would come over and sit around drinking and we started singing old sixties and seventies songs while we sat around the fire. I thought we needed some accompaniment and I started playing the ukulele. So they kind of go together. I really can't think of one without the other. That said, my drinking has never come at the expense of anything else that I wanted to do, especially playing the ukulele, and my ukulele has never come at the expense of my drinking, so I'm good with both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom