Printing Tablature

Jerryc41

Reaction score
There are lots of blank tablature sheets available online, and I can print a sheet and then write on it. Is there a fairly easy way to enter the info using a computer?

I downloaded a PDF of a sheet full of lines, but I can't type on it. Working with it as a graphic (JPEG), and using Irfanview, I can enter text, but getting everything in the right place is more trouble than it's worth.

I know there are free - and not free - apps that will let me fill out a PDF form, but this is more freehand - having numbers centered on the line.

When I got tired of writing tabs onto printed paper, or writing it in Notepad, I downloaded MuseScore.

It is free, and fairly easy to learn.
And you can create pdfs from it.
If you want to translate staff notation to tabs, you can just type it in as staff notation, transpose to your favorite key, and just copy paste it into a tabs line - voila!
Is default it only has high G tabs option, but you can modify to low G.

Alternatively you can always type tabs into any taxt editor using Courier New or another font where the numbers have the same width.

When I got tired of writing tabs onto printed paper, or writing it in Notepad, I downloaded MuseScore.

It is free, and fairly easy to learn.
And you can create pdfs from it.
If you want to translate staff notation to tabs, you can just type it in as staff notation, transpose to your favorite key, and just copy paste it into a tabs line - voila!
Is default it only has high G tabs option, but you can modify to low G.

Alternatively you can always type tabs into any taxt editor using Courier New or another font where the numbers have the same width.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. I just typed something using WordPerfect, and it was frustrating.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'll take a look at that. I just typed something using WordPerfect, and it was frustrating.

Yeah, it is cumbersome.
Courier new doesnt look as nice, but the numbers having equal width does make that way a bit easier.
And you can add vertical lines for bar changes if you like.

MuseScore lets you link staves so you can have a standard notation staff linked to a tablature staff and they'll stay in sync without having to copy anything. Made things much smoother once found that one! See https://musescore.org/en/handbook/tablature#multiple-staves

The sticker is that entering notes with mouse and keyboard is cumbersome and takes a lot of getting used to. A midi keyboard's easier, and I've been starting to play with MuseScore's piano roll mode.

I downloaded a PDF of a sheet full of lines, but I can't type on it. Working with it as a graphic (JPEG), and using Irfanview, I can enter text, but getting everything in the right place is more trouble than it's worth.

Hi, Jerry!

ASCII Tab a text file format used for writing guitar, bass, ukulele and drum tab that uses plain ASCII letters. It is the only widespread file format for representing tab, and is extensively used for disseminating tab via the Internet.

ASCII Tab, Komodo edit are best friends for me. Ascii tab requires block selection (See the figure below) for cut and paste, Komodo edit has it. In general text editors do not have print previews. Komodo edit has it.

I use ASCII Tab format and ChordPro format on Komodo edit.

MuseScore lets you link staves so you can have a standard notation staff linked to a tablature staff and they'll stay in sync without having to copy anything. Made things much smoother once found that one! See https://musescore.org/en/handbook/tablature#multiple-staves

The sticker is that entering notes with mouse and keyboard is cumbersome and takes a lot of getting used to. A midi keyboard's easier, and I've been starting to play with MuseScore's piano roll mode.

The ease of using a keyboard probably depends on your skill level. Remember trying to make notation with a midi keyboard in high school. I had to correct timing all the time. But if you play piano reasonably well I see the point.

As I usually use tabs for chord melody arrangements, I dont think I would want that link you talk about. I like to keep the staff notation line for vocals, copy the melody into the Ukulele tab line, and then add chord notes around the melody in the tab, notes that I don't want in the staff notation.

MuseScore +1
It does take some effort to become proficient, but the results are very professional.
When I get stuck with how to do something in the software, google always provides the answer. Google "MuseScore Triplets" or "MuseScore time signature" and then you know how to do it.
Whether working on lead sheets or tabs, it is nice to be able to go in, make a change and print out the new version.

Samples for educational purposes:

MuseScore +1
It does take some effort to become proficient, but the results are very professional.
When I get stuck with how to do something in the software, google always provides the answer. Google "MuseScore Triplets" or "MuseScore time signature" and then you know how to do it.
Whether working on lead sheets or tabs, it is nice to be able to go in, make a change and print out the new version.

Nice results

There are lots of software available, but you have to be more specific about what type of computer you have.

Windows 10 computer
One of the first software I bought was
Melody Assistant, it was not very expensive, however
Muse score should work very well on your computer, it does not have the same functionality on an iPad, Guitar pro is also a disappoint, does not have the same functions, it is more expensive.

One of the first software I bought was
Melody Assistant, it was not very expensive, however
Muse score should work very well on your computer, it does not have the same functionality on an iPad, Guitar pro is also a disappoint, does not have the same functions, it is more expensive.

Thanks. I'll take a look. Someone at one of the groups has an iPad, but she doesn't use a program. She just added all the songs to the iPad, and they display alphabetically. If I ever see her again, I'll ask how she did that.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melody.htm

I've just started Musescore and am pretty impressed with its ease of use and functionality.

I use tefpad, for my ipad, it was a one time charge of $5.99. Writes standard notation, tab or both. Not sure of price for computer version. Very helpful. And it plays back for you at an adjustable speed so you can follow along for practice or of course you can print. The pro version gives you more features (i dont have). I think it allows you to import other folks larger pieces.

Top Bottom