Alternative bridge clamping device

Timbuck

Reaction score
I posted a drawing of this method a couple of years back but Photobucket (spit) removed all the images ..so here it is again.
Just a rough sketch but you'll get the idea.IMG_3264.jpg

Pure genius. Leonardo DaVinci would have been proud of that!:cool:

Nice Ken.
Also, I read in a book about Oud making of a cantilevered bar clamped down to give pressure to the bridge- handy when there is no sound hole!

I've seen this method used for repairing cracks in guitars, but steel strings were used instead, and a geared tuner. This allowed a patch to be glue and clamped inside the guitar. A tiny hole is drilled through the crack area to allow the string to pass through.

I made one of these contraptions years ago when I was making the thin-line electric ukulele. No room for standard clamps. Worked like a charm. Not shown is the lead fishing weight I used as a "bead" to apply counter pressure on the inside. By the way, the uke sounded pretty good unplugged too.

DSCN6529.jpg DSCN6534.jpg DSCN6561.jpg

I made one of these contraptions years ago when I was making the thin-line electric ukulele. No room for standard clamps. Worked like a charm. Not shown is the lead fishing weight I used as a "bead" to apply counter pressure on the inside. By the way, the uke sounded pretty good unplugged too.

View attachment 116373 View attachment 116374 View attachment 116375
I think I got that idea off you some years ago..I remember things like that..but I've never used it.

Really interesting method! Thanks a lot! i will try it on my build, thanks!

Really interesting method! Thanks a lot! i will try it on my build, thanks!

One quick bit of warning: These clamps can develop immense pressure very quickly. Resist the temptation to really cinch it down or you can end up with a glue starved join and this is not good with bridges. Tighten down slowly until you see a little squeeze out and stop.

One quick bit of warning: These clamps can develop immense pressure very quickly. Resist the temptation to really cinch it down or you can end up with a glue starved join and this is not good with bridges. Tighten down slowly until you see a little squeeze out and stop.

Thanks for the advice Sequoia. i plan to use it in addition of a U clamp place on the center (this sytem will make pressure on the exterior of my bridge)
... i have a lot of month to work on my uke before use it... time to think :D

looks good, but is it any better than two F clamps?

After about 4 hours of trying to figure out how to get Piezo pickups mounted directly under the bridge, I resorted to something similar. Took the saddle out, drilled a hole under each end of where the saddle was, and run a string through the holes, and pulled the piezos into place with an appropriate amount of glue.

The saddle covers the holes...

Thanks, I thought that a very good point.
I wonder, is it practical to use a lighter string (so the a string) and a friction tuner to control the load?

Top Bottom