the E chord..

shawdinaimy

Reaction score
i'm having so much trouble with that chord! i have a feeling i may be putting my fingers in the wrong place..help please? haha

hmmmmmm cant get the E chord hunh...well i think your only choice is to give up the uke all together lol Or as seeso says just practice. I would go with choice number dos. And thats really all you have to do is practice soon your finger will bend where it needs to. (Im guessing thats the problem that your A string sounds muted)

Don't feel bad, I've been playing uke for 15 years and I will do just about anything to avoid playing a standard E chord.

Try a barred version where you hold down the 4th fret with your index finger and hold string 1 fret 7 with your pinky, or make like you're playing a B chord on the 7th fret (so that you are holding strings 1 and 2 on the 7th fret with your index finger, string 3 8th fret with your middle finger, and string 4 9th fret with your ring finger)

Worst comes to worst for now you could just bar the 4th fret and mute the a string

Worst comes to worst for now you could just bar the 4th fret and mute the a string
This is actually the best reason to play it with a barre on the second fret and a partial barre on the fourth fret...if you mess up the partial barre you're most likely going to do so by muting the first string, in which case you still have an E chord! (Exactly the same E chord if you're in reentrant tuning, since the first and fourth string notes are unison.)

The easiest way I find to play the E chord is by using your third finger across the fourth fret but only using the 4th,3rd and 2nd strings, slightly muting the 1st string.I know this is cheating but it works very well and unless your playing an arpeggio you won't notice, hope this helps mate.
Cheers
Please excuse my lack of MS Paint skills :)

Attachments

• E chord.jpg
    E chord.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 10
Don't feel bad, I've been playing uke for 15 years and I will do just about anything to avoid playing a standard E chord.

That´s what I´m doing, have playd for 6 months and I found out quick that me and the A string were not gonna be friends on the E

i just put my thumb on the G-C-E (4th fret) and my index finger on the A (2nd fret)

i just put my thumb on the G-C-E (4th fret) and my index finger on the A (2nd fret)

I just tried it.. Feels kinda strange, but it works. My guitarskills have been blocking out the option to actually use my thumb to cover more then just 1 string.
Thanks Brad!!:rock:

yea when i use my thumb as well it feels weird. i just stretch my ring finger everyday while im walking to work or just watching some tv. but im scared that ill just break it off one day.

Top Bottom