Low G Strings for Pono Baritone

Ian66

Reaction score
Hi,
My first post and so pleased to have found this site. I am just in the process of ordering a Pono Mango Baritone and would greatly appreciate recommendations for preferably unwound low g strings that would fit.

Hi,
My first post and so pleased to have found this site. I am just in the process of ordering a Pono Mango Baritone and would greatly appreciate recommendations for preferably unwound low g strings that would fit.

A baritone is usually strung DGBE like the top 4 strings of a guitar. If you are looking to tune it GCEA then you will need a set specifically meant for that tuning on a baritone. I don't know if any of them have an unwound low G.

John

My current and favorite, so far, strings for my baritone Low g tuning are:

1 Thomastik Infeld .030 & .027 G & C respectively.
2 Living Water baritone c tuning E & A.

To my ear and my instrument, this is the best combination I have found so far. I've tried numerous combinations and this is my fav.

Thanks for the responses, I have an order in with Living Water who were very quick and helpful with their assistance,

cheers,

Ian

I actually bought a Pono Mango Deluxe Baritone from HMS last year, I fell in love with the sound sample on their site, but had them set it up GCEA. I absolutely hated the sound when it arrived. The wound G and C just totally clashed with the other strings and each other. I ended up switching it back to the factory strings myself, and loved the sound again. I've since bought 4 sets of different low g strings to try on Baritone because I really do want to set it up for GCEA, and think it would sound great with the right strings.

These are what I got to try:
#1Worth Brown Flurocarbon BT-LG 63
#2 Custom set from the Southern Ukulele store that use Different strings... D'Addario nylon bronze wound for G, nylon silver wound for C, and rectified nylon for E and A
#3 PhD Preminim High Density polymer strings for the other strings.
#4 SouthCoast Light Medium Gauge Linear Set (no wound Strings)

I have yet to try any on my Pono, so I will be interested in hearing how you like the Living Waters set. Please do share your impression of them. Thinking about ordering both the Re-Entrant and Linear Living Waters sets if none of these work out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I am still waiting for the strings to arrive - slow mail to Tasmania - will certainly let you know what I think of them when they arrive, I ended up ordering the Pono Mahogony Baritone MBD owing to some import problems into Tasmania - also Ken Middleton has included an extra A string in the package which was nice.

Last edited:
I've messed around with several baritones, guilele, requinto and alto guitars, desiring to tune them to GCEA or ADGCEA. And some worked out while others sounded choked and were too high tension. I had the most success with tuning a baritone to GCEA using light strings. With fluorocarbon, 1 = .020", 2 = .024, 3 = .029 and a silver wound 4th string of .025" or .026". And those were hard to find. I needed up buying Seaguar Pink Label fluorocarbon fishing line (30 LB, 40 LB and 60 LB) and a D'Addario .025" silver wound single. I like the Pink Label line because they're silky smooth (Blue Label is a little more textured).

Last edited:
Top Bottom