How often do you play your vintage Martins?

RLM3121

Reaction score
I have my first vintage Martin on the way now(a 1960s style o). I am curious, how often do you play your vintage Martins? Are they daily players for anyone? I'm pretty excited about getting one and look forward to a lot of time with it. -Ray

I play mine really often...though I can't say I play each single one every day as I have too many...but I do just play them with no regard for vintageness. I own no real collectables, and presume no one will want them when I am gone. They are mean't to be played imho. They are all nice players. The one I play the least is the concert for no reason other than I guess I really prefer sops. I do get a big kick out of looking at the 1918 next to the 2017...same uke 99 years apart!
My favorite sounding ukes are the 47 Style 2 and the 1918 Style 1 with Worth Browns. Enjoy your new uke!

Last edited:
I suspect I'll play it daily once I finally get rid of the stench of that gahd-offal perfume some former owner spritzed into it.
I've got a spice bag filled with ground coffee in the soundhole now, and the whole uke is in a ziploc storage bag along with a damp kitchen sponge and an open box of baking soda. Still - I visit it probably 3 times a week.

Dave here AKA spongeuke. The current one with in reach every day is a WWII Style 0, I think it is possible that it will go a new player, then I'm left with a 1917-18 2M, oh well one must make do.

I suspect I'll play it daily once I finally get rid of the stench of that gahd-offal perfume some former owner spritzed into it.
I've got a spice bag filled with ground coffee in the soundhole now, and the whole uke is in a ziploc storage bag along with a damp kitchen sponge and an open box of baking soda. Still - I visit it probably 3 times a week.
Have you considered baking soda or charcoal?

Have you considered baking soda or charcoal?

I've had a box of baking soda in the bag with the uke since I got it... it's one of those that have a side panel that opens to reveal a paper membrane which allows the baking soda to absorb without danger of spilling.

Before the coffee, I had a spice bag filled with granular activated charcoal for aquariun filters. That bag was tucked into the soundhole for weeks. But even in combination with the baking soda, the smell was only reduced slightly.

So far, the coffee is working far better.

Top Bottom