Sound Port on Enya EUT-X1 Tenor

bry

Reaction score
Just in case anyone was wondering if it was possible. It is. Much louder sound to the player. Still solid as ever. I think it sounds amazing. Cheers!
B9E4FEA7-93CD-4796-BAD1-9F8EDAA12683.jpg

You guys are putting the luthier job on the line

I certainly would not cut any large holes in any musical instrument.

I had an Enya EUT X1, it was badly made with a warped and bent neck, it was returned, heaven knows what the long term effect will be of cutting a large home in one

I had an Enya EUT X1, it was badly made with a warped and bent neck, it was returned, heaven knows what the long term effect will be of cutting a large home in one

I ordered a Fluke with that extra hole, mainly because it was offered. I get comments on it occasionally.

I copied what Griffin Ukuleles did. I Found a page on their website called Side Sound Ports Are Cool. Pretty much explains how to do it.

I put a side sound port in my Stew Mac tenor build. It really does make a huge difference to my ears. I bought a Cocobolo sound port reinforcing ring from Brian Griffin. It was a bit of a pain to install properly, but it looks great.

Did you get the walnut ply top,back and sides kit? I’ve been looking at those. Was it hard to build?

Curious zjerry, did the sound port make a iffference on your Fluke. I have a four year old all laminate Walnut. It’s gotten better sounding as the laminate dried out and got older. I saw the sound hole option. Do you like it on this ukulele?

Curious zjerry, did the sound port make a iffference on your Fluke. I have a four year old all laminate Walnut. It’s gotten better sounding as the laminate dried out and got older. I saw the sound hole option. Do you like it on this ukulele?

I'm sure someone would be able to tell the difference, but I have only one Fluke. If I ever have mine when I see someone else playing a Fluke, I'll do a comparison. It was available, it was something different, so I went for it. I chose the Woodie graphic.

Fluke Woodie.jpg

Did you get the walnut ply top,back and sides kit? I’ve been looking at those. Was it hard to build?
No, mine was the Mahogany kit with solid top and laminated sides/back. It wasn't hard to build. I finished mine in 6 weeks, and that's with the extra work of adding the sound port with reinforcing ring, bindings, and a pickup.

It definitely something to try with a low cost uke. I made the sound hole in a dolphin, instead of cutting it all out I drilled a grid of 8mm or 10mm holes in a 2" ellipse. Tape up the area with some masking tape and draw on the grid, drill it first with a smaller bit and finish off with the 8mm or 10mm bit. I was going to cut it out with a fretsaw, but never bothered, the grid of holes improve the playing experience enough for me.
Most people can manage a hand drill and marking out an ellipse with a grid, its not all that hard. If you are tempted, pick up a low cost uke and have a try at doing it, its fun and interesting at the same time.
Maybe its not something you do to a rare old uke, but if there are 10,000+ dolphins in circulation, no-one is going to miss one.

Would you smooth the edges of the hole with a file?

You’re the second person I have heard about this with a EUT-X1. (Besley was the other). I have bought a number of Enya products at this point and I have been happy with all of them. There must have been a bad (or green) batch of okume tenor necks.

This EUT-X1 was my first experience with Enya. I bought it for my kids to learn on. I was pretty impressed with it. I ended up also buying an Enya 3/4 size acoustic guitar. It is incredible for just over a hundred bucks. All in all good instruments for kids to play around with.

Top Bottom