How many wound strings do ya need?

BigD

Reaction score
Hey folks, long time no posting here. I'm trying to get myself back in the swing of things with the uke (thatll be another post) but currently having the dilema of how I want my low g uke set. Non wound, wound low g, or wound g and c both. Its been so long since ive tried a low g but I feel like I remember preferring both strings wound. Opinions, interests comments all welcome. Also attempting to bring more bluegrass/ clawhammer/ pickin sounds to my music.

No wound strings for me! ;)

Depends on the sound you like, & whether you like playing on wound strings. Often just the low G, but others have both G & C.

My preference is fluorocarbon Living Water strings.

Wound G and C always, always, always for me. I have 6 tenors set up that way and 4 baritones with a wound 4th and 3rd. It balances out the sound to the 2nd and 1st strings so much better. I use a Fremont Soloist squeakless wound low G and Thomastik CF27 for wound 3rd. Also the Thomastik CF30 and CF27 for the 4th and 3rd is another popular combo.

None for me either! I prefer fluorocarbon strings of any thickness. Plus,maybe it's me, but wound strings seem to wear through very quickly!

No wound strings for me... and no linear tuning, either.

For re-entrant uke I think wound C be better than the usual non wound for good intonation. Low G certainly be wound.

It is just I can cope with re-entrant uke and solid plastic thickness intonation problems in C-string, because it will last forever being just a plain string..

On tenors I like wound g and C, usually Thomastik, with fluorocarbons E and A. For concert ukes Fremont Soloist g with fluoros C,E and A. Depending on the tone I'm trying to achieve the fluoros range from mellow (Living Waters), centered (PHDs), to brights (Oasis).

I avoid wound strings like the plague. When they are new they are too bright and sound different than plain and then they wear out and change tone and sound different again and eventually start to unravel and become hazardous. And many brands squeak on contact with fingers. Aquila reds work for me as they sound just like the nylguts.

I have the truly game-changing Fremont soloist Low G together with fluorocarbons on every uke I have apart from the Koaloha six string but I would like to try a wound C also.

Unwound strings have a better feel and tone IMO, but intonation certainly seems truer if the low strings are wound. Right now I am experimenting to see if I can deal with the intonation issues and go 100% unwound.

I'm really liking the Worth Clear unwound linear set I have strung up at the moment. The intonation only makes me cringe occasionally.

I know a couple of bluegrass music uke players that both play tenors with nylons strings. One has a wound Low-G and wound C string. The other plays re-entrant with a wound C string. They think the nylon strings sound more "traditional" to them.

Top Bottom