FS: I’iwi “Gold Master” Bearclaw Spruce Koa Tenor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uke Up

Reaction score
I’iwi “Gold Master” Bearclaw Spruce Koa Tenor

This is the premier model offered by I’iwi Ukuleles, and it comes with a couple of upgrades - Waverly open back tuners with Ebony knobs, and an Ameritage Silver Ukulele Hard Case. These custom built, “Gold Master” ukuleles by luthier Charlie Fukuba of Makakilo, Oahu, Hawaii seem to sell for between $3500 and $4000 on the used market, without including the $500 to $600 for the Waverly tuners and Ameritage case.

This I’iwi has Master Grade Bear Claw soundboard/top and Gorgeous Master Grade Curly Hawaiian Koa and Bubinga wood on back and sides. It is not only stunning, but has an incredibly sweet sound. This tenor has an amazing voice with the Bearclaw Spruce and 3 hole porting which results in added clarity with projection, sustain and accentuated bass notes for the player and the listener. This is what a custom build is all about.

This I’iwi has a radiused instrument grade Gabon Ebony fretboard, Ebony bridge, 3 Abalone rosettes and matching Abalone top purfling, Ebony top and back binding, Abalone position diamonds, Honduran Mahogany neck with graphite composite rod, inlayed I’iwi bird and Hawaiian flowers on the headstock, and a hand rubbed gloss finish. It also has the original plastic strum protector Charlie puts on softer wood soundboards covering the top 1/3 of the soundboard. Currently strung with Worth Brown Low G strings. I am also including an Oasis humidifier.

I bought this tenor from the original owner who owned it from 2013 until I bought it in October 2017. The original owner and I have always kept this ukulele humidified and extremely well cared for. It is in perfect condition, there are no cracks or separations. It has never needed; nor had any repairs. PLEASE NOTE: If you look at the lower 2/3’s of the top from an angle you will see a number of tiny, tiny scratches in the Bearclaw spruce wood. They are not visible when you look at the top, unless you angle it just so, but I want you to know it is not brand new. Although it does have these marks on the top, I couldn’t find any anywhere else. More photos available on request.

This ukulele did not seem to have had much play when I got it, and it has not seen much play with me. I just seem to have a good case of UAS. This was just 1 of many ukuleles I have purchased so far.

Selling because I am on the list to get a DeVine tenor ukulele built for me.

Last edited:
What a beauty! I sincerely wish that I could, but isn't in the cards right now.

Best of luck for the sale and congratulations to whomever winds up with this even bigger bargain.

Last edited:
This is a great uke by I'iwi.

No affiliation with the seller.

I have a s similiar one and wouldn't sell it.

Question to seller...do you know if the soundboard is a torrified spruce top?

Buyer will save about $1k from the current price.

No, it is not a terrified spruce top.
I agree with you Charlie's builds do have an incredible sound. I got this one after listening to Jon Bennett, Ukulele Oxford, play "Trouble in Mind" on YouTube. Only selling it to try a DeVine custom.

Uke Up: do you have a sound file or video to share? Thanks!

Sorry, I am just a beginner with a good case of UAS. Learning cords and scale at this point. Should say slowly learning.
Here is a Vimeo of a similar I'iwi: https://vimeo.com/120228210
Here is another: https://vimeo.com/131070170
I believe the I'iwi's in those Vimeo's have different strings than the Worth Brown Low G on this one.
Hope those help.

Sorry, I am just a beginner with a good case of UAS. Learning cords and scale at this point. Should say slowly learning.
Here is a Vimeo of a similar I'iwi: https://vimeo.com/120228210
Here is another: https://vimeo.com/131070170
I believe the I'iwi's in those Vimeo's have different strings than the Worth Brown Low G on this one.
Hope those help.

Different Ukes will sound differently ... and with different strings as you know. It would be best to provide a iPhone video even with thumb strumming ... Corey makes all Ukes sound awesome ... and not to say this doesn't sound just superb.

I wish I was good enough, or brave enough, to record something. Just doing the 3 listings on here, Flea Market and Craig's List have been challenging enough. Maybe someday...

I asked a friend to record a sound sample of this I'iwi and he was kind enough to oblige. I can't figure out how to upload or attach it to my ad or to a "Quick Reply" to this thread. Any suggestions how to do it. It's an mp3.mp3 (Full Title "Guy's Uke3 mp3.mp3").

While I'm trying to figure out how to attach the sound sample, if you are interested in hearing it, contact me and I'll email it to you. At least, I think I can do that...

SOLD
Thanks for all the nice comments, suggestions and advice.
It's a real pleasure being part of UU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom