NUD: Kanile'a K-1 C (2019)

technicalta

Reaction score
This past Saturday I made the relatively short drive (~1 hour) to Uke Republic and left with this beautiful K-1C concert. It's one of the new 2019 models with the silk neck, ebony appointments, and the new TRU-R bracing. I think it is gorgeous. The fit and finish typical Kanile'a so its pretty much flawless. After putting on a set of Living Waters, I feel like it plays beautifully with a brilliant bell like tone. It's definitely quieter than my KoAloha concert, but I think the tone is a bit rounder and with has more note clarity. I love them both. I've had a Kanile'a tenor before and never bonded with it, but I am really loving the concert.

My only quibble is with the included Kanile'a case. The design is nice and its pretty light, but I think its ABS plastic or something so it's not a sturdy as my Oahu case. It also doesn't fit the uke as well as I'd like. You would think that Kanile'a would work with the manufacturer to make sure the fit was snug for their ukes.

In the end it's all about the uke and I'm really, really enjoying it.

Yes, I agree, that is an awesome concert. The truss bridge-like construction of the internal bracing should definitely be lighter and more resonant.

Congratulations.

The case looks very much like a Crossrock case. Nice cases, but you'll want a fiberglass if yu travel on an airplane.

This past Saturday I made the relatively short drive (~1 hour) to Uke Republic and left with this beautiful K-1C concert. It's one of the new 2019 models with the silk neck, ebony appointments, and the new TRU-R bracing. I think it is gorgeous. The fit and finish typical Kanile'a so its pretty much flawless. After putting on a set of Living Waters, I feel like it plays beautifully with a brilliant bell like tone. It's definitely quieter than my KoAloha concert, but I think the tone is a bit rounder and with has more note clarity. I love them both. I've had a Kanile'a tenor before and never bonded with it, but I am really loving the concert.

My only quibble is with the included Kanile'a case. The design is nice and its pretty light, but I think its ABS plastic or something so it's not a sturdy as my Oahu case. It also doesn't fit the uke as well as I'd like. You would think that Kanile'a would work with the manufacturer to make sure the fit was snug for their ukes.

In the end it's all about the uke and I'm really, really enjoying it.

That's a beauty. You have a nice collection there.

gorgeous! I love ebony with koa :drool:

That's beautiful! I love the way they do the bracing, it looks strong, but dainty.
Congratulations.

The strings have settled in now and it's sounding even better. Nice warm, clear tone coming from it. Really a joy to play. I'm hoping my UAS has been sated for a while. I've done too much buying/selling in the past 6 months.

The strings have settled in now and it's sounding even better. Nice warm, clear tone coming from it. Really a joy to play. I'm hoping my UAS has been sated for a while. I've done too much buying/selling in the past 6 months.

Did you compare the original strings with the Living Waters? Did the sound change dramatically? In my store comparisons, the Kanile'as (not 2019 models) were second in sound to the Koaloha (I bought the Pikake concert) and I was wondering what difference the Living Waters made.

Did you compare the original strings with the Living Waters? Did the sound change dramatically? In my store comparisons, the Kanile'as (not 2019 models) were second in sound to the Koaloha (I bought the Pikake concert) and I was wondering what difference the Living Waters made.

I feel like it makes a big difference, but I also just don't like Aquila strings all that much. While I obviously liked the tone when I bought it at the store, I think the original strings made the uke sound a bit dull. Putting on the Living Waters brought the uke alive, the tone just sparkles now. It's also a bit louder too I think. Not as loud as a KoAloha, but still louder than it was originally.

Congrats, and yes it is a beauty. I'm sure as the soundboard settles in it will get louder and sweeter. We got a GL6 K1 a couple months back with the new TRU-R bracing and silk neck and love the sound and feel. That silk neck is easier to play on than gloss but the gloss body is less prone to sleeve noise than satin so a perfect finish combo.

Gee whiz, that's pretty!

Congrat's! I like Living Water on my Kanile'a concert too! :shaka:

Top Bottom