5-string ukulele?

Wingnutz

Reaction score
Okay, I'm not talking about the 5 strings that have the low G and the High G as a course, I want a 5-string that has equal string spacing so I can play all five. Is there such a thing? Would this have to be a custom build from a luthier or is there one in production?

Thanks
Laurence

Last edited:
You could go with the Machete de rajão the "mother" of the ʻukulele and sibling of the four-string braguinha. Save for the 5th string, it would be difficult to distinguish this instrument from an ʻukulele visually and aurally. You might have to go to Madeira to pick one up but they're still popular in the ukulele's Old World homeland, with plenty of builders and players. I've seen them strung with a bourdon on the 4th and 5th courses (maybe guitar playing tourists?) but reentrant tuning is more common.

Here's a modern Machete de Braga, a close relative as well:

And my fav, a 1679 Stradivari 5-course guitar! Well, closer to a baritone ukulele than a modern guitar...

Last edited:
In addition to the machete, there is also the timple (usually tuned GCEAD) from the Canary Islands.

The most noteworthy timple luthier is Jesus Machin. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I'm a nub but wonder if you could string a 6 string Ukulele with 5 strings the way you describe.

Hi Laurence I am assuming you are thinking about playing it like a 5 string banjo.........therefore you may not need to fret the extra string. If that us the case have you thought about an Harp Ukulele! You get a few more open string options also! https://images.app.goo.gl/DfroJrjpagPY8pCe6
Mike

Great topic. I just asked a luthier what they thought about this idea and they didn't throw it out entirely.

Of course you could take a guitalele and leave off the bottom string, but to do it right, you'd want a narrower neck. Whether the 5th string should extend the full length of the neck or stop at the 5th fret like a banjo is another decision point.

There are a few 5 string mini banjos - Beansprout, Magic Fluke, maybe others.

The only one I know is a Barron River, built by Allen McFarlen in Australia and played by Bosko (custom order from Bosko) : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFo8EBYbZA
What a great video! Interesting how much the fifth string extends the tonality - those were some nice complex chords he was playing.

In addition to the machete, there is also the timple (usually tuned GCEAD) from the Canary Islands.

The most noteworthy timple luthier is Jesus Machin. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the suggestion, I think what I need is a true banjo/uke hybrid

Hi Laurence I am assuming you are thinking about playing it like a 5 string banjo.........therefore you may not need to fret the extra string. If that us the case have you thought about an Harp Ukulele! You get a few more open string options also! https://images.app.goo.gl/DfroJrjpagPY8pCe6
Mike
Mike, those harp ukes are pretty amazing but I don't think I'm going in that direction. And contrary to rumor, the 5th string is often fretted(by me anyway) for some interesting effects

Great topic. I just asked a luthier what they thought about this idea and they didn't throw it out entirely.

Of course you could take a guitalele and leave off the bottom string, but to do it right, you'd want a narrower neck. Whether the 5th string should extend the full length of the neck or stop at the 5th fret like a banjo is another decision point.

There are a few 5 string mini banjos - Beansprout, Magic Fluke, maybe others.
Thanks for the input Jim! I think I want a dedicated banjo/uke hybrid, and having the 5th string at the 5th fret helps even out the tension. I see the mini banjos, but I really don't want to sound like a banjo (pleeeeeze)! I want to sound like a uke. Considering buying a mid-level uke and having a banjo neck retro-fitted.

Wingnutz,

Contact Jonathan Dale (UU handle: jupiteruke; he hangs out in the Ukulele Building/Luthier's Lounge subforum) of Jupiteruke.com. He has built both short-scale banjos and 'ukuleles in the past and has very reasonable prices for custom projects.

Last edited:
Contact Jonathan Dale
I wasn't gonna say it, but since you did... that's who I asked. :p

He's booked for several more months but might be starting a new batch later in the summer. I think he'd be up for it, but we didn't get too far in the discussions after it was determined that it just wouldn't work with the tenors already in progress.

Do you think Rolf Lislevand would be pleased if we told him we could fix that buzz by altering the saddle and maybe the nut just a little? :eek:

I do wonder if the A.Stradivari guitar has a truss rod? After all, it has remained playable for 340 years.

Wonderful videos, thanks for posting them Peter.

The late, great John King played a 5-string ukulele, configured in five courses as the OP describes. I believe it was earlier in John King's ukulele-playing days, before he moved to the traditional four-stringer. (He was first a classical guitarist.) As I recall, his 5-string uke was a custom-made one.

This has been very interesting and has helped me focus my thoughts on this - thanks for the discussion! I have been in contact with JupiterUke

I’m pretty interested in something similar - namely to see if an ukulele tunes CGCEA (linear) would be worth it like when jazz guitarist use a seven string and tune the B to A and give themselves a bass backup. I think I’ll experiment on my son’s guitalele and find out.

I want a 5-string that has equal string spacing so I can play all five. Is there such a thing? Would this have to be a custom build from a luthier or is there one in production?

Hi, Laurence! Ask Kieth Richards or Albert King. Kieth Richards only strings 5. Albert King doesn't play 6th string.

Top Bottom