Buying from Elderly

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I've bought several ukes from Elderly - none of them elderly - and I'm always surprised at their fast shipping. Three days from order arrival is very good, especially when you consider the fact that they do a setup. They must set up the ukes ahead of time so they're ready to go.

Mim is another good seller - pre-setup and fast delivery. If you see her at a uke fest, you will see her at her table setting up ukes.

I had some vacation time to burn, so I made a pilgrimage up to Lansing just to buy a baritone. It was a nice building with nicer people. I said I wanted a cedar topped baritone and they went and got a Kala that they had recently received. I would have liked something a little less hoi polloi, but I relented because a quest is a quest and I had to fulfill my objective. They sent it downstairs where they keep the set-up gnomes and it was set up while I messed around with an upright bass. It was really fast

Last fall I was looking for a ukulele to replace the one that got broken. I decided on what I wanted, found it on the Elderly site and ordered it. The next day they called to say that they could not find it in the warehouse. It is a long story that took place over a short period of time, but the sales associate at Elderly genuinely felt bad about it, I could tell talking to him and he and his manager bent over backwards to find me something in their inventory that I wanted. When they got out of my price point they were not concerned at all. I ended up with a ukulele several steps up from what I originally ordered, and I like it very much.

I ordered a banjo from them and received the wrong one. I think that I may have mistakenly ordered the incorrect one though, but I’m not sure.

Anyhow, they paid for return shipping and sent me the correct one post paid. I hurriedly made up another order from them to kinda pay them for their trouble, and I have since bought another more expensive banjo from them.

I really like doing business with them. :eek:ld:

I first started dealing with Elderly Instruments some time in the lat 1980's. Over the years I've had a number of transactions with them (most recent in 2017), and always had a good experience. They're a class act....

The pilgrimage there was a wonderful trip.
They pointed me to their walls full of vintage ukes and recent ukes. Said try them all. Let us know if you have any questions.
I played one after another. It was glorious.

Good folks, I've bought many guitars from them over the years, even sold them a few. So many instruments to check out. I used to go there with a friend, the shop is only about 40 minutes from where I live. They're in an old Oddfellows hall, neat place. Feels like you're walking in the front door of an old house. They used to keep all of the guitars on shelves where they were like books in a library, not angled out like they are today. You'd grab one and it would be an imported knockoff, and then right next to it was some super collectable vintage guitar. All were out and available to play. We used to "run the racks" and play all of them until we hit one that had "that tone." What fun.

I had bought a very nice Vietnamese brand uke from them. It came quickly, the setup was done, the uke was lovely.
But the neck hurt my hand. So, back it went. I had to pay a restocking fee and the return freight, since there was really nothing wrong with it.
I would buy from them again, if Mim doesn't have it.
I think it'd be fun to go hang out there, and play a whole lot of ukes.

Good folks, I've bought many guitars from them over the years, even sold them a few. So many instruments to check out. I used to go there with a friend, the shop is only about 40 minutes from where I live. They're in an old Oddfellows hall, neat place. Feels like you're walking in the front door of an old house. They used to keep all of the guitars on shelves where they were like books in a library, not angled out like they are today. You'd grab one and it would be an imported knockoff, and then right next to it was some super collectable vintage guitar. All were out and available to play. We used to "run the racks" and play all of them until we hit one that had "that tone." What fun.

That sounds like heaven.

I was a fan of Elderly until they shipped me a guitar that they simply put in a big box and shipped it - no padding, no packing material - just bouncing around in a box. No joke.

It arrived in one piece, but that is beside the point.

Last edited:
I've bought several ukes from Elderly - none of them elderly - and I'm always surprised at their fast shipping. Three days from order arrival is very good, especially when you consider the fact that they do a setup. They must set up the ukes ahead of time so they're ready to go.

Mim is another good seller - pre-setup and fast delivery. If you see her at a uke fest, you will see her at her table setting up ukes.

Another thread had complaints that ukes were shipped without the setup requested, so how do you know, unless it is terribly set up, that they actually did one?

Another thread had complaints that ukes were shipped without the setup requested, so how do you know, unless it is terribly set up, that they actually did one?

Normally know because you asked for a certain spec in your setup, e.g., balance string response for a piezo pickup, set nut grooves so strings protrude by 30-40%, a wee bit of neck relief because you're a heavy strummer, low G install, etc.

My wife always laughs when I receive a package from “Elderly Instruments.” Then asks me whether I received something to help with, uhm, call it a certain male dysfunction.

I have some experience with Elderly. The staff was always kind and very responsive. But I’ve ordered three instruments from them and I’ve returned every one because of serious blemish marks, bent necks, broken tuners and so on. Just my experience.

Another great company is Uke Republic outside of Atlanta. My experience with Mike and Donna has been great. They go far beyond expectations to make sure that you get the best product and service at an affordable price for most everyone’s budget.

Tom

Another great company is Uke Republic outside of Atlanta. My experience with Mike and Donna has been great. They go far beyond expectations to make sure that you get the best product and service at an affordable price for most everyone’s budget.

Tom

I second Uke Republic. Mike and Donna are great people. I have been happy with all my interactions with them.

Top Bottom