paracord strap

SpaceForRent

Reaction score
My new tenor came with strap buttons installed, but I didn't have a strap. So I decided to make one. I just installed Worth Browns, so I chose a primary color to match those. Based on the pattern I chose, I thought the contrasting color looked a bit like waves so I went with blue.

I hadn't done this pattern before, and it came out much thicker and stiffer than I expected (insert juvenile jokes here :p), but I'm very happy with the result. It's adjustable by tweaking a knot or two. I made the dangly Celtic buttons just because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the ends and it left some extra cord to work with if needed down the road. I kinda like it as-is though. The main weave is a "raptor tail sennet", for anyone who's curious.

20190329_094416.jpg20190329_094442.jpg20190329_094453.jpg20190329_094504.jpg

That's really cool looking. You can use it with pride!

Very cool! I'm struggling now with teaching myself Native American finger weaving to make a strap from hemp twine. It ain't easy! Maybe if I had Native American fingers...:rolleyes:

I like it.

REI has some good lookin’ Paracord. I made a strap for a small banjolele and one for a small, travel banjo.

It’s easy to use, works well and looks pretty good. It fits in a hard case well too. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
Very classy looking and I imagine comfortable. Do the knotted ends hit the body of the uke if you are playing standing?

Nothing better than a strap made to order and beautiful too. Nice job!

It’s easy to make a shoulder “pad” with an old piece of (American) belt too, and it will still fit in the hard case. :eek:ld:

Are you worried about the hemp twine being scratchy on your neck?

Yes. :D

I might abandon the project and start over with dyed cotton yarn or twine... something softer.

I had made another false start using simple cotton kitchen twine which was soft, but it's difficult to keep track of alternating warps when both are the same color.

Last edited:
Top Bottom