Trying D tuning on a cheap sprano

stanat20

Reaction score
D tuning seems to brighten the tone on this popular song although the volume leaves a lot to be desired.One advantage you can play in Bb and sing in C

Nice job on that, Stan. I too like to put a soprano in "a D F# B" occasionally. Seems to depend on the particular uke; some ukes seem to like being in "g C E A", while others feel a little bit "floppy" there, and call out for going up a step. And still others seem to find their sweet spot just a half-step up from standard. One of the things I enjoy about the ukulele journey is tinkering around to see where each uke likes to be, tuning-wise. I always tell myself that one day I'll settle on ONE uke in ONE tuning and stick with it-- but I have a feeling I'm kidding myself!

Nice job on that, Stan. I too like to put a soprano in "a D F# B" occasionally. Seems to depend on the particular uke; some ukes seem to like being in "g C E A", while others feel a little bit "floppy" there, and call out for going up a step. And still others seem to find their sweet spot just a half-step up from standard. One of the things I enjoy about the ukulele journey is tinkering around to see where each uke likes to be, tuning-wise. I always tell myself that one day I'll settle on ONE uke in ONE tuning and stick with it-- but I have a feeling I'm kidding myself!

Good point,I find if you like to sing and solo sometimes the key for the solo is not within my vocal range,so detuning helps to solve the problem.

Sounds good. Just something about that old timey D tuning, such a percussive bark. I've had a special set of Aquila soprano D strings here for a while, and am gonna try them on my Famous FS-1, thanks for the inspiration.

thanks for your comment and good luck with your experiment

Top Bottom