How to determine radius

fohukulele

Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to ask if anyone could help me with a quick method to determine a radius. I have a wooden seat from a bar stool with a nice curve, I have tested it with spruce bracing and sandpaper and it works well, would just like to know the approximate radius but searches online only seem to refer to starting with half circles to determine the radius. My maths knowledge doesnt stretch this far unfortunately.
Any info appreciated thanks.

Radius is half the diameter...or is it a dished seat and you want to know the radius of the dish.?? a photo would help.

Last edited:
Radius is half the diameter...or is it a dished seat and you want to know the radius of the dish.?? a photo would help.

Thanks for your reply, yes it's a dished seat and I'd like to know the radius, I'll add a picture shortly. Cheers

Heres a picture hopefully you'll see what I mean. Thanks

I’m not volunteering but don’t think that that will be too hard for someone here to work out for you. If I were to attempt it - an approximation is the best that could be offered - I’d want you to lay a long straight edge within the radius and measure both its length and (accurately for this) the maximum gap under it. IIRC a bit of trigonometry should give a radius from those figures ........ well many decades back it would.

Last edited:
Approx 450mm length and gap under around 17mm if that's of any use

I recently made two radius dishes and found the formulas on line. Do a search on how to make a radius dish. My dishes are 15’ and 25’. They are both 16” in diameter. The sag on the 15’ radius is .178” and on the 25’ is .107”.

Thanks for your reply. According to this website

http://randypeterman.com/radius-dish-depth-calculator/

I think I have a 5ft radius, not 100% sure but on this calculator if I put in 5ft, 1.5ft width, the depth comes up at around 17mm so hopefully that's it

I cheated and used the web too ...... getting old.

You gave use the chord length and depth. An on line calculator did the rest for me and came out with a radius of about 1.5 meters.
https://planetcalc.com/1421/

Hope that that helps. I love UU, so many people willing and happy to help :) .

Search for "calculating the sagitta of an arc" by Lutaio Mottola. this gives a formula where you can enter parameters and it will the calculate for you. For some reason UU won't let me post the link.
https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/sag.htm Finally , it let me post the link.

Another great link thank you, bookmarked them all they'll certainly be useful. Cheers

The above link to the formulas allow you to calculate the sag at any interval from the center. For my dishes I did them at 0, 2”, 4”, and 6”.

The above link to the formulas allow you to calculate the sag at any interval from the center. For my dishes I did them at 0, 2”, 4”, and 6”.

Sounds like a way to check if it is an actual spherical section, either that or use CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) and knock up a cardboard circle section of the diameter you calculate and give it a spin to see how close you are.

I hate to be a grumpy old git in the ointment but are you sure you have a spherical section and not an elipsoid or some other shape freehanded out by a skilled bloke withan angle grinder?

All I'm using it for is adding a curve to the backs of some mini ukes I'm making and after testing on scrap it seems to do the trick. Only wanted to know the approximate radius out of curiosity really

Top Bottom