Enya EUC-X1M Concert REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Very nice. I'm just wrapping up my review of the Enya KUC-20, their sapele laminate concert ukulele kit. I bought 10 of the KUC-20s as part of a grant that I won so that kids can take the ukuleles home. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't have bought the X1M...but the KUC-20 has the nice hanging loop, which I really need for our rental ukulele storage solution. The X1M might be a bit more weather resistant...but the KUC-20 is also a great value. I will say that the KUC-20 has really thin laminate, and might be louder than the X1M. I might have to buy an X1M to do a side-by-side comparison.

I also feel like the Enya strings have improved since the EUR-X1. I could be wrong.

Right now this is the only Amazon-based product in the US that I can recommend knowing that the customer will get a ukulele that is well made and set-up well. Otherwise, I steer people (and students) to established ukulele vendors.

Another great review, Barry! As always, keep up the great work.

I wonder if Enya would be receptive to changing the bags on orders if you asked - surely wouldn't cost masses more, and you'd get the hook? I've found them pretty receptive.

RE the strings - their site definitely now mentions Aquila - this was loaned to me just before Christmas and came with another ukulele - we agreed this review would be spaced out from the first one because I don't like to do the same brand too close together. That was quite a while ago now, so they may well have changed since.

The EUS-X1 I got earlier this month didn't mention Aquila. The extra set of strings is branded Enya (the packaging looks the same as the X1M's image on Amazon, which Amazon's description calls "[FONT=&quot]Enya Carbon Fiber String"[/FONT]), and they're clear not white like the New Nylguts I have elsewhere. No idea if they're a different Aquila line, if they're putting Aquilas on some lines but not others, or if their pipeline's deep enough that mine predates a change even though I just got it. They sound fine enough to my ears that I haven't rushed to change them to the fifths set that I bought the ukekele for.

I'm not keen on the printed Koa pattern on the HPL - it doesn't quite look natural and slips a bit into the uncanny valley. I'd much prefer a plain solid colour that doesn't pretend to be wood, or make real use of the material and go crazy like Bonanza does (make mine Tutti Frutti!)

Dadgummit, I wish they had another dealer.
I've boycotted amazon for years.

Was considering this last month but saw you had a review “coming soon” so I held off on the purchase. Well, I’ll have to change my signature shortly. :)

The EUS-X1 I got earlier this month didn't mention Aquila. The extra set of strings is branded Enya (the packaging looks the same as the X1M's image on Amazon, which Amazon's description calls "[FONT="]Enya Carbon Fiber String"[/FONT]), and they're clear not white like the New Nylguts I have elsewhere. No idea if they're a different Aquila line, if they're putting Aquilas on some lines but not others, or if their pipeline's deep enough that mine predates a change even though I just got it. They sound fine enough to my ears that I haven't rushed to change them to the fifths set that I bought the ukekele for.

No - what I mean is - the old stocks are clearly Enya strings, but on the new Amazon listings they definitely specify Aquila.

Dadgummit, I wish they had another dealer.
I've boycotted amazon for years.

I believe if you contact Enya, they will sell direct. The ones on Amazon are not shipped by Amazon

I rubbed this one with a tiny drop and it worked absolutely fine - looks really dark and even now

No - what I mean is - the old stocks are clearly Enya strings, but on the new Amazon listings they definitely specify Aquila.
Gotcha. I only saw "Enya" not Aquila, so I thought you meant they sourced them differently. Either way, don't think "clear" is a good term for any of Enya's listings ;) The -X1M listing I looked at says Aquila in the title, Enya Carbon Fiber String in the Specifications, and Extra Aquila strings in the Package contents. The -X1 listing doesn't mention Aquila. The listings have slightly different wording (and significantly different prices) in Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.ca, and Amazon.com.

From experience. I bought both the HPL Soprano and Concert. Both have the "old" E.n.y.a strings installed AND there is a set of Aquila strings with the kit. Grandson LOVES the Soprano and me (with the Concert) have a blast learning together. He's 8... I'm older :)

I always find strings that ukuleles come with to be an irrelevance to be honest. The majority of ukers are going to change strings to what they like - no matter what the instrument, anyway. Never fazes me when I buy a ukulele and I don't like the strings. I just change them. Job done!

I bought a Tenor version.

The neck was twisted and bent.

Result was the action and intonation was all over the place.

It as an impressive inclusive kit but far less impressed by the QC of the Uke and btw the tuner was woefully inaccurate.

It was returned and Enya contacted me to seek clarification of why I was returning it and I replied they did not have the good manners to appologise.

I suggest you avoid Enya products.

I got this one a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. Quality on mine was excellent. Frets ends were much smoother than a lot of Kalas (and a few Martins) I've seen locally. Intonation was great too. I actually liked the printed wood grain pattern (had to return a Martin OXK once, partially due to the fact I couldn't stand how fake the wood pattern looked, so there you go). Came with fluorocarbon strings and an extra set of Nylguts, plus a bunch of other goodies.

I ended up returning it for the following reasons:

- I couldn't get on with how heavy it was for a concert: 657 grams, which is a bit heavier than my baritone (my bari is 630g)
- The tone was nice enough, but pretty low volume
- The tuners weren't smooth enough for my liking, although I would have been willing to swap them out if I liked everything else

All in all, it was very nice for the price, but just not for me. I think if it was lighter weight I might have kept it. Even though I'm a fluorocarbon fan, I suspect the nylguts might have suited it better. But I was returning it for other reasons so didn't bother with a string change.

I suggest you avoid Enya products.

It's always disheartening when you get a bad one, but in my experience of many hundreds of ukes coming through my hands - this can happen with any brand. To be honest, yours is the first problem I've ever read about with an Enya and usually people get very well put together instruments.

I don't think I'd suggest avoiding them based on one bad one. As with any QC issue, it's all about the chances of getting a bad one. Sounds like you were an unlucky one.

It's always disheartening when you get a bad one, but in my experience of many hundreds of ukes coming through my hands - this can happen with any brand. To be honest, yours is the first problem I've ever read about with an Enya and usually people get very well put together instruments.

I don't think I'd suggest avoiding them based on one bad one. As with any QC issue, it's all about the chances of getting a bad one. Sounds like you were an unlucky one.

Agreed Baz, between myself and two friends we own 6 Enya X1 and no issues. I have the concert size with the slotted head stock and pick up along with the pineapple soprano and had a round body camp uke. Sold that one to a friend for his grandson who really wanted it. My friend recently bought the one in your review. We did an A/B side by side test and his sounds identical to mine and the quality is very good. I own a number of high end custom ukes and these Enya X1 are great bang for the buck. We buy them and use them for their low maintenance high durability qualities and they play and sound good.

Highly recommended

Last edited:
Normally I would agree with you.

But.

Enya asked about why I returned it when I responded they did not have the Customer Focussed Service to even offer an apology or even a thankyou for responding.

So as far as I am concerned they suck.

Top Bottom