Advice for solid mahogany concert

Tzviatko

Reaction score
I am looking for a professional level all solid mahogany concert uke up to 800 €

In my opinion, you'd be hard put to find a better all mahogany concert in that price range than the Kiwaya KTC-1 or KTC-2.

You might also look into LoPrinzi's offerings as well.

Last edited:
The Islander MSC-4 is all mahogany, with a wide nut. It's at Penny Lane Music Emporium. $299, no case. I have the MSS-4;
sounds great. (It's not going to compete with the Kiwaya) Wonderful set-up also.

In my opinion, you'd be hard put to find a better all mahogany concert in that price range than the Kiwaya KTC-1 or KTC-2.

Yeah, Kiwaya instruments are lovely- great fit and finish, lightly built, sound great, great intonation. They are pretty much a sure bet.

I put in my vote also for Loprinzi. I just got one of their all maple concerts and what a great voice it has. The work quality is absolutely wonderful and I got the base model. The body is a little smaller than most ukes but it makes up for it in voice. i find it comfortable. Also had a pick up installed.

loprinzi

I plan on getting a Kiwaya eventually sometime in the future. It's just one of those ukes that looks very appealing to me (and you can get the soprano and concert with 12 fret to the body).

I do love my LoPrinzi, and plan on ordering a all solid mahogany soprano from Donna as my next purchase.

If you do decide to go with a LoPrinzi concert, and you are willing to get one made. You can request the older larger body style if you think her current one is too small. I think it's a extra cost of $25.

Here is the difference between the newer (smaller) body style, and the older (larger) one.

I plan on getting a Kiwaya eventually sometime in the future. It's just one of those ukes that looks very appealing to me (and you can get the soprano and concert with 12 fret to the body).

I do love my LoPrinzi, and plan on ordering a all solid mahogany soprano from Donna as my next purchase.

If you do decide to go with a LoPrinzi concert, and you are willing to get one made. You can request the older larger body style if you think her current one is too small. I think it's a extra cost of $25.

Here is the difference between the newer (smaller) body style, and the older (larger) one.

That was a great post!
I just opted for the large size body style, I thought the small one was just too close to a soprano for me. I thought it would be a bit louder, but Donna L says no.
I 2nd the vote for a Loprinzi. Donna does really nice work, and it would be a one of a kind uke.

What does "professional level" mean? I'm not trying to start a fight or raise tempers. Most of the professionals I know are using custom ukuleles that either they have paid for, or the instruments are a collaboration with the ukulele company who sponsors the player as a featured artist.

Furthermore, your price is in Euros. Where are you located, and are there any stellar music stores (or ukulele vendors) near you that would allow you to play various instruments and decide what model is best for you?

There are a number of solid mahogany instruments out there, including Mainland and Ohana on the lower end of the price spectrum--that could certainly be played by a professional.

What does "professional level" mean? .....

That is one of those musical industry things that is a great marketing term. They label instruments in various ways- student, beginner, step up, intermediate, pro, etc. There is nothing to stop a good player from using anything they want to make great music, but the idea is supposedly that one needs a "professional" instrument. If an instrument is well designed so it plays and intonates well it can certainly be played.

That is one of those musical industry things that is a great marketing term. They label instruments in various ways- student, beginner, step up, intermediate, pro, etc. There is nothing to stop a good player from using anything they want to make great music, but the idea is supposedly that one needs a "professional" instrument. If an instrument is well designed so it plays and intonates well it can certainly be played.

In a music shop I learned a cool degrading term: "Consumer".
I was shopping for earphones at the time, and asking about some models he said that one model was a bit more "consumer", so I probably wanted the other one.
Suggesting that the opposite of serious/proffesional equipment would be consumer-equipment.

I am guessing that the OP doesnt want a consumer ukulele :)

Edit:
Just kidding, kind of.
I guess "proffesional quality" makes sense in the respect that if you spend a fortune booking a proffesional recording studio, or on proffesional stage equipment and you charge a professional salary for a gig, the extra money needed for a better instrument means less in comparison than if it is for a hobby where money doesnt change hands otherwise. If the budget for a production or tour is thousand of dollars, you don't want to know that the result would have been way better if you only spend a few hundred more on the instruments.

I think that at least one of my ukes is professional quality, as I believe I saw a professional play one like it. Yay :)

Last edited:
If you want vintage, either a Favilla, Giannini or Martin. It's tough to beat an older mahogany with nylon strings. When it comes to an all 'hog uke, I'd take vintage over new any day of the week.

Choirguy, You are absolutely right. I meant all solid instrument:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom