PDA

View Full Version : MiSi pick-up question

RafterGirl
03-31-2019, 10:37 AM
I have owned 4 ukuleles with MiSi pick-ups. I played a Loprinzi concert weekly at church, plugged into the PA system. No problem. I currently play my aNueNue Moon Bird plugged in. No problem. I recently had a MiSi pick-up installed in my KoAloha concert. I plugged it into my Blackstar Fly amp at home with no problem. I took it to church today to see how it sounds, and it's as if it's not amplified. I can't hear any amplified sound coming from the monitor. I switch back to my Moon Bird and no problem. Back to the KoAloha ......same problem. Back home, I plug into my amp and it's fine. Hmmmm. Whats up? I only plugged in the KoAloha for a few minutes & the sound guy wasn't there yet. But I wouldn't think it would go from zero amplified sound from one ukulele to just fine with the other. MiSi is an active pick-up, and it is properly charged. I've never used a DI or pre-amp with either the Loprinzi or Moon Bird for the past year of playing at church.

Am I missing something simple? I didn't get a chance to ask the sound guy about it after church.

Jim Hanks
03-31-2019, 10:54 AM
Hmm, same cable? If so, I got nothin

RafterGirl
03-31-2019, 11:36 AM
Same cable. Just switching back & forth between the two ukes. Same cable I use at home with the Blackstar Fly amp which is a 6w practice amp. When I picked up the uke from the acoustic guitar/ukulele shop on Tuesday, I plugged into their Fishman amp & it sounded great.

We arrive a hour before the church service & run through our songs. I plugged in the KoAloha first and couldn't hear it. I made sure I had my tuner pedal in the on position. Nothing. Switched back to the Moon Bird .....great sound. Set the KoAloha aside while we ran through our songs. After we were done, I tried the KoAloha again. It was relatively quiet in the sanctuary and I stuck my ear up to the monitor to listen. Zip. Just the unplugged sound. I always bring my MiSi charger with me just in case. Gave it a 60 second charge and tried again. Zip. Back at home I got out the practice amp and plugged in (same cable as church), and it sounded great. The KoAloha is definitely brighter & louder than the Moon Bird, and way louder than my Loprinzi that I used plugged in with the same set-up at church for the last year. Weird.

Kimosabe
03-31-2019, 02:15 PM
You’ve charged your pickup?

RafterGirl
03-31-2019, 02:27 PM
You’ve charged your pickup?
Yes. It’s a MiSi pick-up. Active pick-up/pre-amp with rechargable capacitor. A 60 second charge gives you up to 16 hours of power. I recharge every other month for weekly plugged in play.

Jim Hanks
03-31-2019, 04:29 PM
Wait, you said it just got installed. Something has to have gone wrong with the install. A missing ground, a loose connection, something. You've ruled out pretty much everything else.

fromthee2me
03-31-2019, 05:08 PM
The Fish Amp @ the shop and the Blackstar Amp @ ur house produce sound for your Koaloha when using your cable. The Church's sound system does not. Try plug the cable into the input socket of the church's sound system, and put your thumb on the jack tip end that goes into your Koaloha. You should hear a buzzing sound. If not, bring it to the attention of the Church's sound man, or try another cable?

RafterGirl
03-31-2019, 05:09 PM
Wait, you said it just got installed. Something has to have gone wrong with the install. A missing ground, a loose connection, something. You've ruled out pretty much everything else.
I thought about an installation problem, but why would it work fine when plugged into two different amps? I will take it back to the shop & talk to the technician about it.

Bill Sheehan
03-31-2019, 05:26 PM
When you were switching between the Moon Bird and the KoAloha (running them into the Church P.A.), were you using the same channel?

Just wondering if maybe there's a "bad channel", or maybe a "mute" button was inadvertently pushed?

rainbow21
03-31-2019, 05:27 PM
You might try it for another week at home, first, then if okay always, at church. It may be so simple as running the battery down at home and not having enough to power it at church. If it misbehaves at home, then you will have more info for the shop to figure it out.

RafterGirl
03-31-2019, 06:02 PM
When you were switching between the Moon Bird and the KoAloha (running them into the Church P.A.), were you using the same channel?

Just wondering if maybe there's a "bad channel", or maybe a "mute" button was inadvertently pushed?

Same cable, same channel, same tuner pedal (not muted).

I did have another uke with a MiSi pick-up that needed the volume or gain (or both, I can't remember) turned up to produce the same level of sound from my amp that my other ukes had. Maybe it just needs more volume than my Moon Bird. If that's the case, I don't want to drive the sound guy at church crazy by switching ukes from week to week. Or I could add a DI box to adjust my own sound and volume? I also thought about the Boss TU-3 tuner pedal that I use. Maybe I need to change the battery? You would think that would affect the sound of the Moon Bird as well.

Bill Sheehan
04-01-2019, 02:11 AM
Sorry if this has already been covered, but could you consider running the KoAloha straight into the PA channel, leaving the tuner pedal out of the chain, and see if that makes a difference?

zztush
04-01-2019, 02:47 AM
I thought about an installation problem, but why would it work fine when plugged into two different amps? I will take it back to the shop & talk to the technician about it.

I think you have to bring church amp as well as Koaloha to the technician.

RafterGirl
04-01-2019, 03:02 AM
I think you have to bring church amp as well as Koaloha to the technician.
Church is a PA system. Not an amp.

zztush
04-01-2019, 04:17 AM
Yes. It’s a MiSi pick-up. Active pick-up/pre-amp with rechargable capacitor. A 60 second charge gives you up to 16 hours of power. I recharge every other month for weekly plugged in play.

According to Japanese site, super capacitor has natural discharge, we need to recharge if you play next day.

Bill Sheehan
04-01-2019, 06:41 AM
When you plugged into the Blackstar and Fishman amps, was there a tuner pedal in the signal chain?

hoosierhiver
04-01-2019, 07:28 AM
According to Japanese site, super capacitor has natural discharge, we need to recharge if you play next day.

Mi-Si's hold their charge for quite awhile.

hoosierhiver
04-01-2019, 07:31 AM
I think it is a problem with the ground, if the ground connection is poor, or it isn't connected at all, the amp may fail to turn on or not work very well.

hollisdwyer
04-01-2019, 08:15 AM
I really want to hear what the problem is in this matter. It’s quite intriguing. Considering that you have A/B tested the new install successfully on two separate amps, this mystery seems to disprove the Euclidean proposition that if A=B and B=C then A=C. I think we have entered the Twilight Zone.

Bill Sheehan
04-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Can you show a pic of the cable in the Jack? Sometimes the cable connector doesn't ground well, which may cause a temporary open circuit. It's an easy adjustment if this is it. And I've seen this a few times. As Hollis stated, interesting.

Kekani, I'll preface this by admitting that I know very little about these things, but if that were the problem, wouldn't it also manifest itself when she plugs into the small amp at home?

RafterGirl
04-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Kekani, I'll preface this by admitting that I know very little about these things, but if that were the problem, wouldn't it also manifest itself when she plugs into the small amp at home?
This was my thought as well. You may be on to something with the tuner pedal. But again, why would it only affect one uke and not both????

For those who have the MiSi on multiple ukes, do you have to make gain and/or volume adjustments for one uke to another?

RafterGirl
04-01-2019, 03:18 PM
This was my thought as well. You may be on to something with the tuner pedal. But again, why would it only affect one uke and not both????

For those who have the MiSi on multiple ukes, do you have to make gain and/or volume adjustments for one uke to another?

Kenn2018
04-01-2019, 04:10 PM
I had a cable that worked fine with my Boss amp and Pono tenor uke with a Baggs 5.0 passive pickup at home. But it did not work with my friend's Fender amp and the same Pono tenor uke. Took it home and it worked fine on my Boss amp.

Long story short, the jack on my uke wasn't working right. It wasn't gripping the plug correctly every time I inserted it. Didn't always make full contact with the plug surfaces. The tech changed the jack and it works perfectly now.

I thought it was a problem with the cord or my friend's amp. It was, in fact, an intermittent problem with the input jack to my pickup on my ukulele. A false correlation/causation conclusion on my part.

Check the fit and position of everything to eliminate each link in the signal chain.

zztush
04-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Check the fit and position of everything to eliminate each link in the signal chain.

I think this check is better in church where the problem happens.

Bill Sheehan
04-01-2019, 05:30 PM

That's a good point, Rafter. It is a head-scratcher, for sure. Can't wait til Sunday so you can do some more "exploratory" work. I would really be curious to see if the KoAloha works properly when plugged straight into the P.A. head, without first routing thru the tuner pedal. Please let us know how it goes!

RafterGirl
04-02-2019, 05:09 AM
I spent some time with my KoAloha & my Moon Bird this morning. Plugging into my Blackstar Fly amp, straight & with the tuner pedal. In order to match sound volume between the two, I needed to up the gain & the volume on the amp for the KoAloha. Tuner pedal in the mix made no difference. It may as simple as the KoAloha needing those adjustments at church. If that's the case, then switching back & forth from Sunday to Sunday would be a PITA unless I use a DI. Something like this might work.......https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/145409/s/l-r-baggs-align-series-session-acoustic-guitar-pedal/category/909/#details

I mostly use the tuner pedal as a mute switch. We are up & down several times throughout the service, and I can mute the sound to take my uke off and set it on my stand without making noise.

I did take some pictures for those who wanted to see the cable to end pin connection. To me they both look & feel the same when I plug in the cable. I also included pictures of the settings for the KoAloha & the Moon Bird on the amp to show the difference needed to get the same sound volume. Left to right is the Moon Bird, then KoAloha plug-in. Then the Moon Bird settings, and KoAloha settings.

hoosierhiver
04-02-2019, 05:47 AM
I spent some time with my KoAloha & my Moon Bird this morning. Plugging into my Blackstar Fly amp, straight & with the tuner pedal. In order to match sound volume between the two, I needed to up the gain & the volume on the amp for the KoAloha. Tuner pedal in the mix made no difference. It may as simple as the KoAloha needing those adjustments at church. If that's the case, then switching back & forth from Sunday to Sunday would be a PITA unless I use a DI. Something like this might work.......https://www.elderly.com/catalog/product/view/id/145409/s/l-r-baggs-align-series-session-acoustic-guitar-pedal/category/909/#details

I mostly use the tuner pedal as a mute switch. We are up & down several times throughout the service, and I can mute the sound to take my uke off and set it on my stand without making noise.

I did take some pictures for those who wanted to see the cable to end pin connection. To me they both look & feel the same when I plug in the cable. I also included pictures of the settings for the KoAloha & the Moon Bird on the amp to show the difference needed to get the same sound volume. Left to right is the Moon Bird, then KoAloha plug-in. Then the Moon Bird settings, and KoAloha settings.

These kick butt. https://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=91

Bill Sheehan
04-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Good investigative work, Rafter. Gosh, it just seems like you're having to crank the volume and the gain (on the Blackstar amp) an unusually high amount just to get a decent signal from the KoAloha (roughly equivalent to the Moon Bird's volume using much more moderate settings on the same amp). Almost makes me wonder if the pickup in the KoAloha has "something going on with it"...? I would expect to have to turn volume up to 3:00 and gain up to 1:00 on the Blackstar if I was using a passive pickup in the KoAloha, but not with an active pickup like the MiSi. Wish I could offer more! Sorry you're having this problem!

hollisdwyer
04-03-2019, 03:20 AM
I haven’t used the Baggs Align series but do own a Baggs: Para Acoustic DI, Sessions Di and lately a Venue. All of these are great. I would recommend devices like these to any one who plugs their instrument into an amp or mixing desk if they want to tweak their sound to optimum.
Anyway, back to the original mystery, maybe it shouldn’t be seen as such a mystery after all. The only common factor is the MiDi pickup. What’s ‘feeding’ those pickups are different instruments that must have unique variables of their own.

RafterGirl
04-03-2019, 04:48 AM
I haven’t used the Baggs Align series but do own a Baggs: Para Acoustic DI, Sessions Di and lately a Venue. All of these are great. I would recommend devices like these to any one who plugs their instrument into an amp or mixing desk if they want to tweak their sound to optimum.
Anyway, back to the original mystery, maybe it shouldn’t be seen as such a mystery after all. The only common factor is the MiDi pickup. What’s ‘feeding’ those pickups are different instruments that must have unique variables of their own.

After experimenting with the sound via my small amp at home, I think you may be right. Out of 4 ukes I've owned with a MiSi pick-up, two needed an increase in gain/volume to match the sound of the other two. The MiSi uses the LR Baggs undersaddle element. Different bridges & saddles on different ukes, installed by 4 different people (Loprinzi/Mim/HMS/local shop). When I picked up the KoAloha from the local acoustic guitar shop, the technician did talk about using a DI with an active pick-up to fine tune the sound. I'll talk to the sound guy at church about it. I have no "burning need" to use this uke at church, since my Moon Bird sounds fantastic, but the chance for a little variety would be nice.

AQUATOPAZ
04-03-2019, 05:21 AM
Some passive pickups have enough signal that they will work with amps fine, but not PA systems. It seems like your MISI is defective and is giving enough signal to the amps to work, but insufficient to work with a PA. Return it to where you purchased it and have them imstall a new one. If it works with amps and not the PA, the signal in insufficient.

kissing
04-04-2019, 05:13 AM
Also, this issue does not appear to have been properly addressed:

Why the same pickup/preamp (Misi system) installed on different ukuleles require such different gain settings to sound similar?

I understand that the ukuleles are physically different (different saddle, string tension, etc) but I don't believe this should make a considerable difference in output levels that go from the ukulele to the amps. At least not to the extent we are observing here.

The ukuleles that require a considerable increase in gain to be on par with those that do not are probably defective in some way.
It could be a simple (but still annoying) matter of the saddle not being completely flat and balanced against the undersaddle (this appears to be one of the worst quality control issues in the guitar/ukulele industry. More often than not, undersaddle piezo instruments come unbalanced from factory/technician) or that the electronics or installation is defective in some way.

hoosierhiver
04-04-2019, 06:07 AM

Why the same pickup/preamp (Misi system) installed on different ukuleles require such different gain settings to sound similar?

I understand that the ukuleles are physically different (different saddle, string tension, etc) but I don't believe this should make a considerable difference in output levels that go from the ukulele to the amps. At least not to the extent we are observing here.

The ukuleles that require a considerable increase in gain to be on par with those that do not are probably defective in some way.
It could be a simple (but still annoying) matter of the saddle not being completely flat and balanced against the undersaddle (this appears to be one of the worst quality control issues in the guitar/ukulele industry. More often than not, undersaddle piezo instruments come unbalanced from factory/technician) or that the electronics or installation is defective in some way.

The saddle material and the tension do affect the output. Sopranos for example often have less output because of the lesser tension.

kissing
04-04-2019, 06:09 AM
The saddle material and the tension do affect the output. Sopranos for example often have less output because of the lesser tension.

I don't profess to be an expert in this field, but in my experience, I haven't noticed such a difference requiring considerable differences in the gain knob to get a comparable sound between sopranos, concerts, tenors and baritones when they are using an identical pickup system. Even if they have considerably different saddle materials, woods, etc.

The nature of the sound changes a bit, but usually not the overall gain/loudness.
Perhaps a bit of a difference, but not to the extent that one is nearly unhearable without significant increase in gain, while the other is loud and clear even at low gain.

hoosierhiver
04-04-2019, 06:32 AM
I don't profess to be an expert in this field, but in my experience, I haven't noticed such a difference requiring considerable differences in the gain knob to get a comparable sound between sopranos, concerts, tenors and baritones when they are using an identical pickup system. Even if they have considerably different saddle materials, woods, etc.

The nature of the sound changes a bit, but usually not the overall gain/loudness.
Perhaps a bit of a difference, but not to the extent that one is nearly unhearable without significant increase in gain, while the other is loud and clear even at low gain.

No, I'm not talking about such a dramatic difference and I'm sure this isn't the issue with the OP's instruments.

Bill Sheehan
04-04-2019, 08:04 AM
Okay, here's yet another theory, which I will suggest by way of posing the following question: if a MiSi pickup loses its charge completely (i.e., the equivalent of a "dead battery" in other brands of active pickups), will it still function as a "passive" pickup? That is, will it still be usable but just not give off a very strong signal? And if the answer is "yes", could it be that somehow the MiSi on your KoAloha isn't getting charged properly (even though you're doing things as you should) and is therefore functioning as a passive pickup? Yes, I know NOT what I'm talking about, but what the heck, maybe this will shake something loose in our analysis of this mystery!

AQUATOPAZ
04-04-2019, 10:18 AM

I think there is a spectrum of signal from the different pickups, but I would also say that those with lower signals are defective, as they should all be pretty similar. The one that doesn't work with the PA has the worst signal and, though active, has a signal similar to a passive. Maybe MISIs have a quality control issue. Scary, because I was considering one. Now not so sure.

DownUpDave
04-04-2019, 12:04 PM
I think there is a spectrum of signal from the different pickups, but I would also say that those with lower signals are defective, as they should all be pretty similar. The one that doesn't work with the PA has the worst signal and, though active, has a signal similar to a passive. Maybe MISIs have a quality control issue. Scary, because I was considering one. Now not so sure.

The issue of MISI having a weak signal could be valid. I have two ukes with MISI and six with LR Baggs 5.0 pick ups, also had a Pono baritone with MISI. The MISI all need the volume cranked higher then any of the LR Baggs????? Food for thought but I don't think this is the issue with Raftergirl, I have always got volume with the MISI just less, sometimes quite a bit less

Bill Sheehan
04-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Okay, here's ONE MORE thought-- having to do with the fact that the MiSi installation instructions speak of the absolute necessity of "sanding a tilt" into the bottom surface of the saddle so that it'll remain sufficiently flat against the pickup when the strings are tuned up to performing tension and the saddle then tends to do a little forward "lean". Here's that text:

"Important: The fit of the saddle in the slot is the single most important factor in this installation.
It is crucial that the bottom of the slot and the lower surface of the saddle be flat to make even
contact with the pickup. The saddle should fit loosely enough in the slot that it can be pulled out
with your fingertips. It will then have a slight forward lean when the strings are under tension.
It is absolutely necessary to compensate for this slight lean by sanding a tilt in the bottom of the
saddle so it still sits flat on the pickup when the strings are at tension (see figure 5). If the saddle
is too tight, binds at all or is too loose, this will have a negative effect on the string balance and
output."

So, is it possible that these "installs" can be a little fussy? And note the reference to negative effect on output...

RafterGirl
04-05-2019, 01:41 AM
The issue of MISI having a weak signal could be valid. I have two ukes with MISI and six with LR Baggs 5.0 pick ups, also had a Pono baritone with MISI. The MISI all need the volume cranked higher then any of the LR Baggs????? Food for thought but I don't think this is the issue with Raftergirl, I have always got volume with the MISI just less, sometimes quite a bit less
This reflects what I experienced while playing through my amp. Although it doesn't explain the definite lack of output at church. The prospect of having the current MiSi pick-up removed, returned as defective, and replaced with another one isn't all that appealing. If adding a DI fixes the problem at church, and is a useful tool to have for overall sound quality with any amplified ukulele, then that may be the best solution for me.

bunnyf
04-05-2019, 02:16 AM
I have had MiSi pickups in several ukes, no problem, until I had one put in my Loprinzi soprano. It has very weak output compared to all my others, using the exact same amp and cable. I wondered if it was a problem with the actual pickup but ultimately concluded that it was most likely an installation problem re: proper channeling of the saddle slot for even contact of the piezo element. My other misi installs were done by Loprinzi and HMS. The problem one was done by a local tech.

RafterGirl
04-05-2019, 03:22 AM
I have had MiSi pickups in several ukes, no problem, until I had one put in my Loprinzi soprano. It has very weak output compared to all my others, using the exact same amp and cable. I wondered if it was a problem with the actual pickup but ultimately concluded that it was most likely an installation problem re: proper channeling of the saddle slot for even contact of the piezo element. My other misi installs were done by Loprinzi and HMS. The problem one was done by a local tech.
How did you remedy the situation? Did you have your local tech fix the issue?

bunnyf
04-05-2019, 11:30 AM
I initially brought it for the install to the only guitar tech near me (tiny shop, just a couple guitars and some amps, older fella). Didn’t seem overly familiar with MiSi product (should have been my first clue). Anyway, I brought it back there and he was like “yeah it’s quiet, oh well”.

So I went home and watched an HMS video (and a few others) on MiSi pickup installation. I saw how they deepen the channel holding the saddle to compensate for the thickness of the element. I looked at my uke a saw that the action was much higher then when I brought it in. I suspected no work was done to lower the saddle’s channel and since it wasn’t working well anyway, I thought “what the heck” and opened it up to see what was going on. First, U looked to see if the hole where. the element comes thru from within the uke was large enough to not be bending or crimping the element and that it was coming up at a bit of an angle, so as to make the transition from inside to outside gentle (it wasn’t, so I adjusted). I didn’t want to be drastic deepening the channel so, I carefully filed some off the channel and then some off the saddle, til I was back to the right height (did this little at a time). Many said that MiSi recommends an exit hole on the treble end, where you gentle tuck in element tail (I did this too). In the end, I improved the pickup’s volume substantially. I think if it were done by an experienced tech initially, the results would have been even better. I find that the G string does not sound as much as the other and this may be either to some damage to the element during the initial “right angle” install or just my low g string. Good luck finding the problem!

RafterGirl
04-05-2019, 03:17 PM
There is nothing visibly amiss with the way the saddle sits that I can tell. It looks like my Moon Bird with the MiSi. From what I can see inside it looks ok. The hole is on the treble side. The cables are all properly secured inside . The saddle height & action are the same as when I took it in. The work was done at the local acoustic guitar & ukulele shop. This shop has been around for a long time & has a good reputation. When I asked the most experienced folks at my uke group about having the work done, they all recommended this shop. The technician was familiar with the MiSi & LR Baggs pick-ups. All of this is not to say that there isn't a problem with the installation. I have zero skills & zero desire to try and fix it myself. I will take it in to the shop and talk with the technician about it.

The overall sound via my amp is very good, just needs that boost in gain & volume to match the volume output of the Moon Bird.

Bill Sheehan
04-05-2019, 04:41 PM
Please bear with my persistence, Rafter, but I think it might be helpful to ask the technician if he "sanded a tilt" in the bottom of the saddle, which the installation instructions (quoted above) deem "absolutely necessary". I'm just thinking that if, by chance, he didn't do so, that such could be contributing to the weakish output you're experiencing. I know you're getting all kinds of well-meaning advice; truly, I don't mean to badger! :)

RafterGirl
04-06-2019, 02:26 AM
Please bear with my persistence, Rafter, but I think it might be helpful to ask the technician if he "sanded a tilt" in the bottom of the saddle, which the installation instructions (quoted above) deem "absolutely necessary". I'm just thinking that if, by chance, he didn't do so, that such could be contributing to the weakish output you're experiencing. I know you're getting all kinds of well-meaning advice; truly, I don't mean to badger! :)

Not a problem. That's why I posted, to get input on what the issue might be. I'll be taking the uke back in to the shop soon to see what he says. As it stands now, the uke sounds really good via an amp with the gain & volume increased. I got to thinking.....all amps & DI boxes have gain & volume nobs for adjustment, so it stands to reason that different instruments need different adjustments. I still may get a nice DI (LR Baggs of some sort) to tweak my sound on both of my ukes with pick-ups.

SailingUke
04-06-2019, 04:17 AM
I still may get a nice DI (LR Baggs of some sort) to tweak my sound on both of my ukes with pick-ups.

I have started using my Baggs Para D. I. I really like the sound of all my Ukes plugged in now. The “quack” is gone and they sound like Ukes, not electric guitars.

Osprey
04-06-2019, 01:36 PM
I have started using my Baggs Para D. I. I really like the sound of all my Ukes plugged in now. The “quack” is gone and they sound like Ukes, not electric guitars.

Ditto. I tried without and then found a bargain on a used LR Baggs Para D. I. And it makes all the difference.

Kenn2018
04-07-2019, 05:31 PM
Is it my imagination, or does the jack in the first photo stick out farther than the one in the second?

Are the jacks the same? Or were separate brands used? One might have a bad ground or a bad solder.

I'd take both ukes to church and before or after the service see if they both act the same plugged into the PA system.

RafterGirl
04-08-2019, 01:25 AM
They are exactly the same. The picture of the jack on the Moon Bird isn't as clear, but to the eye there is no difference. I took both to church yesterday & did some experimenting after the service. There was no noise in the sanctuary & the sound guy had time to experiment. Same experience as with my home amp. If he upped the gain & the volume a bit, the KoAloha sounded great. Switching back & forth from one Sunday to the next and making those adjustments would be problematic for him, unless he sets up a second spot on the board for the KoAloha. I don't need to play the KoAloha at church that badly. I will take the uke back to the shop that installed it to ask them to check it out. Could be an installation issue or it could be a dud pick-up?

Bill Sheehan
04-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Thanks, Rafter, for the update! Does your saddle on the KoAloha show a bit of forward tilt when the strings are tuned up to pitch? If so, and if the technician didn't happen to sand the bottom of the saddle at a slight angle so as to take that into account, then maybe the bottom of the saddle isn't sitting nice and flat on the piezo element as it lays in the saddle groove, thus adversely affecting your output. Will be interested to hear whether the tech has any observations!