Leonardo Nunes Ukulele O Hawaii 1913 Soprano Ukulele

pmcw

Reaction score
This item has been sold.

From what I've been able to discover, I believe this is the first year for Leonardo Nunes under the Ukulele O Hawaii brand (after he left his father's M. Nunes and Sons company). The label on the inside shows "Copyright 1913 by L. Nunes."

Construction is Koa wood with Koa tuning pegs. There is minor grain separation as shown in the photos, but the sound quality is amazing - very rich tone.

Given my family history, I believe it was purchased new in the Los Angles area. Included is a felt case with snaps that show a lion's head with the words: "Made in Chicago." Please let me know if you would like to see additional photos. You can view my Linkedin profile at the following link: https://www.linkedin.com/in/paul-mcwilliams-1359276/

Asking $350.00, but will entertain offers.

It would be best for me if you inquire via email to pmcw@earthlink.net, but I will try to be responsive to private messages and questions in reply on this thread.

Attachments

• IMAG1397.jpg
    IMAG1397.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 307
  • IMAG1398.jpg
    IMAG1398.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Uke05.jpg
    Uke05.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 211
  • Uke01.jpg
    Uke01.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Uke02.jpg
    Uke02.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up John - post has been updated.

Last edited:
Thank you Choirguy for the idea. The ukulele was passed down to me from my mother. As I've been given to understand, it was passed to her father by a cousin who grew up in Southern California, which is what leads me to believe it may have been purchased new by the cousin. Unfortunately, I have no musical background or talent and since it has no sentimental value, I've decided to sell it as my wife and I "thin out" for retirement. My original thought was that it would be great to get it to someone that would enjoy playing it, but it would also be really nice if museum has interest in it for historical preservation. Do you happen to know of any museums I could contract to see if that would be of interest?

Thank you gochugogi! Do you have a contact there or are you suggesting that I contact them directly?

Offer sent via email.

This arrived safely the other day. Full NVUD post once it has been restored by my local luthier.

Many thanks again, Paul; I’m so honored to be the new steward for this lovely piece of ukulele history.

-Jeff

Top Bottom