Have you seen Mango pairing with other woods?

Lapyang

Reaction score
I just realized that I have not seen Mango being used with other woods. Whenever there is a Mango Uke, it is always all Mango, top and body. Or maybe I am just missing all the other Mango combo instruments out there.
Is it just coincidence or is there a reason that Mango just works better Top and Body?

I suspect it's just that Mango works really well for both top and sides so there's no compelling reason to mix & match. It's used less frequently and doesn't have the mystique of Koa to branch out further. Personally, I really like the sound and all Mango is on the short list for my next.

KoAloha has (had?) the Naupaka which harlequinned Mango and Koa both on the top & sides. I want one of these, but my wallet's declined whenever I've had the opportunity. Oh well. (as depicted by Mim):
d9xn2ylt3c1jiybbyo2c.jpg

Kala has a Special Edition with a Spruce Top, Pau Ferro sides and a tri-back of Pau Ferro and a Mango strip.

Similar to gochugogi's comment, mine looks and sounds great.
KalaKA-SPMT-TRI.jpg **thanks to UkeRepublic for having a great picture at the internet fingertips.

Funny you should ask. This is the latest Ono, a concert that combines mango with Honduran mahogany. This was done because I found a really unusual piece of mango but it wasn't big enough for a whole instrument. The color of the top complements the mango nicely. Tonally, the combination works fine and it sounds similar to most instruments that are built with a medium density hardwood top.

This is also a new shape that I'm doing in all three sizes, concert, tenor and baritone. It's a bit rounder in the lower bout and a bit smaller in the upper bout to increase the working area of the top. Also, the sides are laminated. No, not cheap plywood but three thin layers of mango and mahogany molded to shape to increase the mass of the sides. This improves isolation of the top and allows it to vibrate without giving up energy by transmitting vibration to the sides.

40559345713_d6b390a824_b.jpg

Funny you should ask. This is the latest Ono, a concert that combines mango with Honduran mahogany.
:drool: sweet, sweet, sweet.

Top Bottom