First CITES certificate application

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Without thinking it properly through I built a rosewood back and sides blinged-up uke for export to the US. I always put the Lacey Form on the shipping box so have had to apply for a pre- CITES certificate for the rosewood. One page simple application form, proof of purchase, photograph - £59 (about $70 - $80) for the certificate plus whatever a 1st class postage stamp costs these days.

Let's see how long it takes to process.

Oh and don't get too excited about the amendment to the Appendix II listing. The CITES czars are meeting to discuss what they are going to do and woman see some action this side of the Fall... So note to self - the American orders have Khaya necks and no rosewood. Probably need a sign for the workshop.

Last edited:
Good news?!

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/27/7545...on-heavily-trafficked-rosewoo?t=1566935753655

Without thinking it properly through I built a rosewood back and sides blinged-up uke for export to the US. I always put the Lacey Form on the shipping box so have had to apply for a pre- CITES certificate for the rosewood. One page simple application form, proof of purchase, photograph - £59 (about $70 - $80) for the certificate plus whatever a 1st class postage stamp costs these days.

Let's see how long it takes to process.

Oh and don't get too excited about the amendment to the Appendix II listing. The CITES czars are meeting to discuss what they are going to do and woman see some action this side of the Fall... So note to self - the American orders have Khaya necks and no rosewood. Probably need a sign for the workshop.

This is GREAT news if it goes through. It is nice to see when sanity and commonsense rule. We shouted and they heard us. Good on them... Note that raw wood will still be under CITES restrictions and will be exempt only after it is turned into a musical instrument.

Also on the site they do a crude spectral analysis of a mahogany guitar vs. a rosewood guitar. I hear a slight difference in the rosewood being a little cleaner. The difference is extremely subtle. What do you hear?

https://www.npr.org/2017/11/30/567063448/a-battle-of-guitar-tonewoods-can-you-hear-the-difference

sequoia, I heard about this yesterday on our local radio station (WMNF). They said no more rosewood furniture, only musical instruments. A ban including instruments would put too many musicians out of business.

This was the biggest mistake of my career. The story is too long to tell. Looks like excporting is over for me.

Top Bottom