Neck shapes

CYN

Reaction score
Could someone compare neck shapes for me. Like a Martin ukulele compared to the neck on a Koaloha Opio. Are they considered C shaped necks? How about the Loprinzi or Ohanas. Still C shaped? What uke out there would be an example of a D or U shaped? And what do they mean when they say CNC since it is made by a CNC machine what is the shape?

This might help you understand what folks refer to for neck shapes, albeit the article relates to guitars: https://www.fender.com/articles/tech-talk/c-u-v-which-neck-shape-is-for-you

As to CNC, it just means that the part is made by using a computer controlled machine, as opposed, for example, to being hand carved. CNC made parts often have more consistency, but some might say less character, than hand carved necks. But, the CNC machines can be programmed to make any shape desired.

For specific examples by brand, I am afraid I can't help much. I gave a Loprinzi concert size to my niece and do remember it had a neck on the thinner side.

I think the specs on ukuleles ought to show neck profile diagrams...to my mind, this is one of the most important considerations that will determine my experience with any ukulele.

As for the necks on the instruments mentioned by the OP, I can only comment on my limited experience of Ohana. I'd describe them as "pool cues"... so, "U shaped" (?) but then that would depend on the font used, as there are many different shapes to U letters :D

I played both Martin concert C1K and a KoAloha Opio concert before. If my memory served me right, both necks are equally comfortable and easy on my hands. They are more on the flatter kind of neck than the C shape.

Could someone compare neck shapes for me. Like a Martin ukulele compared to the neck on a Koaloha Opio. Are they considered C shaped necks? How about the Loprinzi or Ohanas. Still C shaped? What uke out there would be an example of a D or U shaped? And what do they mean when they say CNC since it is made by a CNC machine what is the shape?

A good way to compare shapes is to look at good photos online. A verbal description, like "thinner, flatter, rounder" isn't going to be much help. Different shapes don't concern me,. I just play what's in my hand.

There is another shape that hasn't been mentioned. Should I call it the flattened C or maybe the rounded trapezoid? My custom uke has rounded sides on the edges, but the spine of the neck has been flattened so that it is parallel to the fretboard. Kind of like this: (___)

I know it doesn't sound appealing, but I really like it. It gives your thumb a flat surface to press against instead of a rounded one.

TBH, unless your hand is very small, probably becomes more an issue of like what I know, vs know what I like.

On a guitar, where the neck is all around larger, and it can affect if you can wrap your hand around, it might be more important.

But on a uke where the neck is still pretty small, I'm not sure it's as important.

Im not saying you wont have a preference, but I don't feel like it's so critical. Like.. a pono has a pretty thick neck, where the kala mass produced are thinish, but the kala slotted necks are thicker than the flat necks.

If you spend enough time to get to know an instrument, unless it prevents you from reaching something like.. thumbing g-string frets, Im not sure it matters so much.

If you watch the HMS vids, all the players play all the ukes... and make them all sound great.

now.. for full disclosure, I don't wrap my hand around. I mostly clamp the back with the thumb, and then press down on fret with the other 4 fingers, so my style of playing might bias my perspective differently from yours, which is why what I feel is thickness more than shape since my fretting hand doesn't reallly touch anything but the crown of the back and the fret board.

Last edited:
Top Bottom