NUD: Martin 8Style 0

Ukecaster

Reaction score
Here is a wartime ('43 or so) Martin Style 0 soprano. Plenty of bumps, bruises and cracks. The cracks were repaired, and seem stable. I've had a few other vintage Martin sopranos before, most all in better shape, but this beat up & repaired example is the loudest and best sounding one I've had. This one has both the mojo and the sound, it's a real treasure to me. It is sweet & warm when played softly, and it loves heavy strumming too, you just can't overdrive it. Came with the wartime ebony pegs, but I installed Pegheds, to retain the look of the original pegs. Unlike the others I've had, which had 36mm nuts, this one is a bit smaller at 35.3 mm, but the string spread at the nut is very wide, with only 1.5 mm clearance to the edges on both sides. It feels fine to me.

20190404_120156.jpg
20190404_120310.jpg
20190404_120231.jpg
20190404_130659.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like a great player that has been well loved!

Very nice. I have a 1944 (estimated) soprano with a spruce top and Gotoh tuners. The changes were made by the previous owner when repairs became necessary. I bought it in its current condition. Since I was also made in 1944, I plan to keep this uke.

That's gorgeous, John! The bottom photo really shows it off.

Very nice. I have a 1944 (estimated) soprano with a spruce top and Gotoh tuners. The changes were made by the previous owner when repairs became necessary. I bought it in its current condition. Since I was also made in 1944, I plan to keep this uke.

Thanks all!

Yes Jerry, that was the one I sold you, re-topped in spruce by Joel Eckhaus, up in Maine, with tort binding added around the top, a unique & classy uke . My new Style 0 is right up there with yours, both superb sopranos. I think I was the 5th UU owner of that spruce top, you're the 6th. I have a list of all the previous owners, if you are interested.

Martin 1944.jpg th

Last edited:
Nice! Looking forward to a sound sample.

Thank you. I got this uke from Dave here (PetalumaRescuke, formerly Spongeuke). Dave rescues old Martins and fixes them up. He really knows his stuff, and offers some very reasonable prices on old rescued Martins, which you can be sure will be great playing & sounding ukes. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
Congratulations! I gotta get me an old Martin soprano one of these days :drool:

Cool! I have a '33 or '34 style 0, in about the same condition, superb player. Matter of fact played it last night at an open mic', played Ain't Misbehavin' to rave reviews! :D:shaka:

style0.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom