Intimidating

Jerryc41

Reaction score
The local high school sent it's chamber music group to play for our senior citizens meeting today. It was amazing watching their fingers fly over the strings of their violins and cellos. One girl said she had been playing for about twelve years. I guess I'll play better in another seven years. :)

I hear yea.......I live with people who have played for 45 plus years and 10 plus years........Dr. Suzuki says all can learn to play with enough love and patience.....hope my family has plenty of both.......we'll all need it..

I hear yea.......I live with people who have played for 45 plus years and 10 plus years........Dr. Suzuki says all can learn to play with enough love and patience.....hope my family has plenty of both.......we'll all need it..

We have a guy in our group who plays anything with strings, and he really doesn't need music. As for Dr. Suzuki, maybe I need more love in my life. :D

I know what you mean, there are a lot of talented people out there. As far as intimidating, I've always said and felt that if I waited until I was as good as them to go out and do my thing, I would never go out and do my thing. So I make do with the best that I can and hope to hell I don't have to follow someone like that at my next open mic.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, there are a lot of talented people out there. As far as intimidating, I've always said and felt that if I waited until I was as good as them to go out and do my thing, I would never go out and do my thing. So I make do with the best that I can. I let people like that be my inspiration.

Now, that's what I'd call a GREAT philosophy, Rllink !! I try to approach things that way too. I know that realistically I'll never play with the skill of the masters, but I do have a knack for "working out" tasteful (if simple) arrangements of my all-time-favorite songs for my ukulele and my just so-so voice; I try to get them in a key that's comfortable for my voice, and I spend a fair amount of time exploring chord voicings that are just slightly different from what the listener might be used to in a given song, just to keep things interesting. It works well for the occasional coffee shop or nursing home appearance. And as much as I love instrumental material, I have found over the years that audiences like to hear you sing, they like to hear a story. But, getting back to your point, I agree that, instead of bemoaning that which we cannot do, we should grab hold of what we CAN do and work with it until we're the best "us" that we can be!

Now, that's what I'd call a GREAT philosophy, Rllink !! I try to approach things that way too. I know that realistically I'll never play with the skill of the masters, but I do have a knack for "working out" tasteful (if simple) arrangements of my all-time-favorite songs for my ukulele and my just so-so voice; I try to get them in a key that's comfortable for my voice, and I spend a fair amount of time exploring chord voicings that are just slightly different from what the listener might be used to in a given song, just to keep things interesting. It works well for the occasional coffee shop or nursing home appearance. And as much as I love instrumental material, I have found over the years that audiences like to hear you sing, they like to hear a story. But, getting back to your point, I agree that, instead of bemoaning that which we cannot do, we should grab hold of what we CAN do and work with it until we're the best "us" that we can be!

+1...now that's a CAN DO attitude. There's always gonna be way more talented players and singers. I just try to use the musical gifts I've been given, and hopefully get a little better along the way.

But, getting back to your point, I agree that, instead of bemoaning that which we cannot do, we should grab hold of what we CAN do and work with it until we're the best "us" that we can be!

Great points. Not only is it important to use one's own gifts, but to do what you do because you enjoy it or find it fulfilling. Far too often people feel they have to apologize for things they don't do well or perhaps "not good enough". I know that I have spent far too many years judging and comparing myself and missing out on things, rather than focussing on being me and enjoying what I do.

Top Bottom