NUD: Gold Tone Bu-1 Disappointment

shanmoon

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I purchased a BU-1 from Uke Republic. The sound is great, particularly at the price point, but sadly, the Banjo Uke I was sent was not the one photographed for the website.

The one I received has very obvious blemishes on the headstock where it looks like the finish was unevenly applied. It's a far cry from the the photo on the Uke Republic website. It was also missing the tool for removing the Remo head (the plastic bag that should have had the tool in it was open and empty).

Maybe I am being picky, but it would just bug the heck out of me every time I look at the headstock. I am going to ask for an exchange or
refund.

It's too bad, I would like this little banjolele if it weren't for the cosmetic issue.

headstockfinish.jpg

No one can write those beautiful tabs without picky. And it is not picky, you should negotiate. I hope your negotiation goes well.

Last edited:
If the blemish was on the other side and you didn’t see it every time you played it would be easier to take. But as a new uke it will always bug you.

If you get a partial refund, looks like it could be rubbed out. 0000 steel wool, or one of many abrasive cream scratch removers. I have used both for some good results on older instruments or newer ones with a rub or scratches on them.

Thanks for the compliment on the tabs. I've got a few more I am working on now that are a little harder, trying to transcribe a couple of my old favorite guitar songs to uke.

Last edited:
I purchased a BU-1 from Uke Republic. The sound is great, particularly at the price point, but sadly, the Banjo Uke I was sent was not the one photographed for the website.

The one I received has very obvious blemishes on the headstock where it looks like the finish was unevenly applied. It's a far cry from the the photo on the Uke Republic website. It was also missing the tool for removing the Remo head (the plastic bag that should have had the tool in it was open and empty).

Maybe I am being picky, but it would just bug the heck out of me every time I look at the headstock. I am going to ask for an exchange or
refund.

It's too bad, I would like this little banjolele if it weren't for the cosmetic issue.

View attachment 116761

If you aren't happy, call Mike. He will take care of you.

You are paying for a brand new, quality finish on your ukulele. Not a Blem or B-stock, or Second. I am surprised Gold Tone shipped this as anything other than B-stock. And that Uke Republic let this one go out without telling you about it. They must have seen the problem when they did the setup.

Ask to return it at their expense, or a partial refund for the obvious flaw. (But only if you can live with it.)

Top Bottom