Strap buttons and variety

Jeffelele

Reaction score
Looking at the Ukulele Site accessories I see they only carry the silver or gold basic strap buttons. I’ve looked around other places and haven’t found a good selection. I mentioned TUS in particular not as a criticism but as an opportunity for the most informative uke site.

In short, I’m interested in seeing them carry a variety of buttons that would put them at the top of another aspect of uke life.

I realize this is a business decision and use of resources and I certainly don’t think Andrew needs advice from me but I thought I’d put this out there for opinions. Lots of people here buy from TUS and some more options would seem to be good.

For anyone who is unaware of the possibilities I’ll just say there are endless options to dress up a beautiful instrument beyond the most basic.

Opinions?

While I always use a strap when I play ukulele, here in the islands most people don't use one so the commercial motivation for HMS to carry exotic and bejeweled buttons is small. Here it's almost a point of pride to don your ukulele au natural. Nevertheless, if you want more than the basic, most general music stores have more choices than HMS albeit mostly the industrial strength quick lock variety for well belted rockers. But there are plenty of popular sources like stewmac with more pimped buttons for the rhinestone cowboys among us. I rarely peek at the tail of my ukuleles and am happy using the built in strap button on the output jack and rope the head stock. I dislike having a button on the neck as it interferes with my left hand thumb when jamming the upper positions.

I do agree that there's a market for end pins and strap buttons in a wider variety than the cheap, screw in, gold or silver type, and it would be nice if sellers of ukes offered more options.
For myself, I like ebony strap buttons and ebony tapered end pins. I enjoy installing them myself, but, yeah... given the numbers of higher end ukes they offer, perhaps some sellers ought to offer these as options as well.

The Waverly buttons on Stewmac look nice. Different color/materials to choose from.

I have also wondered why the selection of buttons is so limited most places.
I know that they are small and not visible from afar, but I would still like one that e.g. matches the tuners.

I put two strap buttons on all my ukes, and since all of them are cutaway, there's problem with the one at the neck heel. I bought ivory Waverly from StewMac, very nice buttons.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I highly recommend Iluak Fine Instrument Fittings.

They offer Cocobolo, ebony & Faux Ivory buttons With & Without inlays. The screw is embedded into the strap button, so you use a "tap" to pre-thread the hole. (If you buy a set of two pins, the tap is provided. Only one, you have to buy it separately.) So no screw head is visible on the button like. They include a leather washer to use instead of felt.

They have terrific customer service. I asked them for dark Cocobolo pins to match the fretboard on my Oya maple tenor. They didn't have any in stock, so Brad made a pair for me and Chaudra found a matching pair of Abalone inlay dots for them. Just great people.

I have the Waverly buttons on a couple of ukuleles, and Iluk buttons on two others. I prefer the Iluk because there is no screw head. Just solid wood or an inlay dot.

My choice for my tenors and baritone ukes are the D'Addario elliptical strap buttons. I can match my gold or silver tuners. The best thing about them is the elliptical shape that keeps the strap from accidentally slipping off, like can and does happen with round ones. It doesn't hurt that they are reasonably priced, too.

I bought the oval ones without realizing how big they are. Didn’t use on uke because they seemed oversized for a uke so switched them out with a guitar and now my uke has the plain usual gold ones.

This is only a temporary set back!

+1 Iluak. Lovely buttons. I have used them on many different instruments. Beautiful wood choices. I have had plain ones and ones with mop or abal., all were very nice. Also, love that no screw shows. Excellent product.

I’m bumping this thread because if/when I buy a new uke from TUS I hope they will have the internet’s best offerings available.

Give this idea a little love if you agree.

When I need a strap button, I drive to the music shop and look in their box of strap pins and buy one and fit it and then I play my ukulele. I could not tell you if they are silver or black or gold, I never look at them, except to fit the strap.
I like shops that so not waste space or time on flashy things which do not add any real benefit to the musical instruments.

ebay has a huge assortment of strap buttons at reasonable prices. You can also find pricey buttons at StewMac. I've bought these a couple of times, but I'm still wondering why. Sure, they look good, but can anyone tell the difference from even a short distance? You have to buy the felt washers separately (ebay again). I've paid $22 for two buttons (delivered) from StewMac, vs $9.00 for ten buttons from ebay - with washers.

Personally I think plain metal strap buttons are good enough. The music is the priority for me, so the looks are secondary. They don't influence the sound at all. On top of that, most people will never see the strap button anyway.

But, if it makes you happy, makes you play more, etc, go for it. I ain't gonna rain on your parade. ��Although maybe I am just by voicing my opinion.

If TUS was to carry them, there would need to be a big demand. I don't see how there is one, especially as they try to focus their offerings on the best quality ukes/accessories as they get more and more traffic/business.

Cocobolo offers snakewood buttons for their ukes. Kevin said that he was looking into having cocobolo buttons made for their ukes, but he hasn't found a supplier—yet.

For an expensive ukulele, such as a used Kinnard or an Ono, I am willing to shell out $30 to $40 for a pair of wooden buttons. I think they can add to the overall beauty of the instrument. They certainly don't detract.

Cocobolo offers snakewood buttons for their ukes. Kevin said that he was looking into having cocobolo buttons made for their ukes, but he hasn't found a supplier—yet.

For an expensive ukulele, such as a used Kinnard or an Ono, I am willing to shell out $30 to $40 for a pair of wooden buttons. I think they can add to the overall beauty of the instrument. They certainly don't detract.

Yes. I bought similar for my concert Coco. For my soprano, I specified them, but they weren't available. He drilled the holes and will send them to me.

Last edited:
My luthier friend found a real nice koa one that he stuck on my wife's mahogany Tiny Tenor, and it looks really sharp.

Top Bottom