"Goldilocks" Strap?

besley

Reaction score
There was some humorous discussion some weeks ago about looking for the "Goldilocks" brand strap that someone mentioned in passing. In the end it turned out that the term was just being used to describe the perfect strap for that player - not too wide, not to narrow, just right. Straps are much like strings, in that everyone has their own opinion as to which is best. For me I decided that the perfect width was 1.5" - anything wider looked silly, and anything more narrow could dig in to the shoulder. I also like my straps to have some friction to help prevent neck dive. Which led me to prefer a 1.5" wide cotton strap for my ukes.

Unfortunately these can be hard to find. Kala does make one, but it usually seems to have an ugly "Uke Crazy" logo embroidered upon it.

Kala_Uke_Staps.png
[

But looking at the Klos site a couple of days ago I noticed that they offer a "Premium Ukulele Strap" that fits the bill perfectly. A nice brown 1.5" cotton strap with soft leather strap ends.

https://klosguitars.com/products/klos-premium-ukulele-strap

DSC_0456_web_op_800x.png

Just got mine in the mail today, and am quite impressed. At $25 I think it's overpriced, but what isn't these days. Anyway, if you too like using cotton straps on your ukes, this is about the nicest I have found.

Like you, I prefer plain cotton straps., so thanks for the heads up about the KLOS strap.
Jan D

Hi Besley, thanks for sharing your discovery of the Klos cotton strap. Now that you have had it for a few days is it still impressing you. A not slip strap is very important to me and if this one does it I would gladly spend the money. Lord know I have spent more on fancy strap that did slip:p

I like unlined whole grain leather straps. For non-slip, flip them smooth side out. For slip, flip them smooth side in.

I like unlined whole grain leather straps. For non-slip, flip them smooth side out. For slip, flip them smooth side in.

So one could basically start with a high quality leather belt of appropriate length and modify it into a strap? Enlarge the existing holes and add a small cut to each to make it adjustable on the bottom end. Cut the buckle off, shape that end, and add some string to tie to the headstock. I never would have thought of using leather for the entire strap... I may have to go digging at the second hand stores for cheap old belts. Now I’m actually warming up to the idea of repurposing old belts that have acquired character over the years. A strap like that would pair great with the pallet uke from the zombie thread that was just revived.

I have a black full grain belt that survived me totaling my motorcycle that has some road rash as evidence of the incident. When its days holding up my pants are done, I know exactly what I’m going to do with it.

Last edited:
So one could basically start with a high quality leather belt of appropriate length and modify it into a strap? Enlarge the existing holes and add a small cut to each to make it adjustable on the bottom end. Cut the buckle off, shape that end, and add some string to tie to the headstock. I never would have thought of using leather for the entire strap... I may have to go digging at the second hand stores for cheap old belts. Now I’m actually warming up to the idea of repurposing old belts that have acquired character over the years. A strap like that would pair great with the pallet uke from the zombie thread that was just revived.

I have a black full grain belt that survived me totaling my motorcycle that has some road rash as evidence of the incident. When it’s days holding up my pants are done, I know exactly what I’m going to do with it.

Yes, you could repurpose a belt. I cut my own from a nice, soft half hide that I have. Belt leather is often quite a bit thicker, heavier, and stiffer but if you check the thrift shops it wouldn't take too long to find something that would work well.

IMG_20190317_090358_hdr.jpg

Hi Besley, thanks for sharing your discovery of the Klos cotton strap. Now that you have had it for a few days is it still impressing you. A not slip strap is very important to me and if this one does it I would gladly spend the money. Lord know I have spent more on fancy strap that did slip:p

Used it in a jam today and it worked just fine, with no slipping on a cotton shirt. It probably won't be as slip resistant as a suede leather strap, but I really like the adjustability of this type of design.

I'm glad to hear good feedback on our straps! We've designed our straps to be of premium quality, durability, and convenience. Time and care goes into everything KLŌS makes!

When strap threads come up, I always feel the need to chime in. For me, synthetics are too slippery. Cotton is nice but soft supple leather sueded on one side is the best. No buckles or such of any kind allowed. I play seated at home but perform standing. I change off from uke, to mando, to guitar in any particular set and don’t want buckles or anything banging into my instruments as I quickly take them off and place them in a stand. For me, a strap is an important functional accessory.

For simplicity, durability and comfort, I like Lakota Leather. Great product, good to support the Lakota community. Offers a variety of widths and styles. I got the plain bison 1” for my Pono baritone which had significant head drop and it worked nicely to prevent slippage. I has since moved to their big bari and wouldn’t mind moving up to 1 1/2” and repurposing the 1” to another instrument. The 2” is perfect for my guitar.

If you want something fancier, the Bailey strap is a beautiful braided strap (nicer than the Lakota braided, not as soft but more attractive). He has a nice attachment system which works especially well if you have a MiSi pickup since that lip on the jack is smaller than a strap button and can be hard to attach other straps securely. I have strap locks on the rest.

Last edited:
I just took delivery of a great leather strap I found on Amazon. It feels fantastic!! Sturdy, but I can already feel that it will break in to be nice and soft without being sloppy.

WerKens Genuine Leather Adjustable Mandolin,Ukulele Strap Belt, Soft Feel Comfortable Grip Slim Design - Brown - 1.40" inch Wide
by WerKens
Learn more: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07FM8J66L/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_rhm1CbC8Q83HY

I'm a big fan of Sherrins Threads straps. She makes 1 inch, 1.5 inch, and 2 inch straps in tons of patterns and colors. Leather ends. I have a different pattern on each of my ukuleles. I prefer 1 inch straps myself. She just got in the blackbird pattern ribbon and she's making up some straps. I'll have a blackbird strap for my Blackbird Clara. She sells through Amazon and also through The Strum Shop (her husband's shop) in Roseville Ca. If you like fun patterns with webbing straps, I highly recommend her.

Top Bottom