PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Buy Any Ukulele

Joyful Uke
04-06-2019, 01:33 PM
While daydreaming at work today, I found myself wondering if someone gave me a blank check, said that I could write in any amount, but it would have to be used to buy a ukulele, (quite a daydream), what would I want?

While I think my UAS is somewhat under control right now, (ha!), it was a fun little daydream.

I suppose my would-love-to-try-but-can't-afford ukulele would be a Moore Bettah. Since I only play concert size, it's not just price that would keep that from happening. I'd be looking for a unicorn.

What ukulele would you buy with that daydream check in any amount?

Kherome
04-06-2019, 01:35 PM
Kanilea ukulele has a "build your own" tool on their site. I "built" one to see what it would cost and lets just say that it'll never happen! But that's what I'd want.

kerneltime
04-06-2019, 01:46 PM
Kanilea Pineapple Special
Mark Roberts side sound hole only uke
Iiwi redwood tenor
Hive
Steve Grimes
Jay Litchy
Compass Rose Jumbo Tenor (this one is in the pipeline..)
Matching tenor baritone and guitar from Beau Hannam
Oh the dreams a man can dream..

rpfrogner
04-06-2019, 01:53 PM
Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.

Good Advice!

Jim Hanks
04-06-2019, 01:56 PM
I'll play. So hard to pick one. Maybe something like this: https://lichtyguitars.com/models/archtop-ukulele/

DownUpDave
04-06-2019, 02:11 PM
Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.

Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.

Joyful Uke
04-06-2019, 02:13 PM

I understand what you're saying, though none of the instructional materials or on-line classes have kept my interest. I'm not sure what I'd be spending the money on for a serious learning process.Playing what I want keeps me playing every day. It's just a hobby for me.

But, it is fun to try other ukuleles, and if you can, why not?

Sometimes when I'm working on something, I find that I can keep myself working on it longer by trying it on another ukulele, and getting a different sound or different feel.

We all have different approaches, and it's all good. :-)

Lapyang
04-06-2019, 02:15 PM
I'll play. So hard to pick one. Maybe something like this: https://lichtyguitars.com/models/archtop-ukulele/

Jim! You made me check that out. Now I am in trouble!

kerneltime
04-06-2019, 02:17 PM
Oh boy! I want to try a arch top but not plugged does it sound good in person?

kerneltime
04-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.
Happy to hear that you will use the down time productively! Wishing you a quick recovery!

Joyful Uke
04-06-2019, 02:19 PM
this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

Right. I don't think anyone will ever hand me a blank check, tell me to fill in the amount, and it must be used to purchase a ukulele.
Just having a bit of fun.

Good luck with that surgery. I hope that you heal quickly and well.

DownUpDave
04-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Oh boy! I want to try a arch top but not plugged does it sound good in person?

A friend of mine has one of these very instruments. He is a professional jazz musician who plays double bass in a big band. Yes it sounds good unplugged although he had it strung to minimize sustain for his type of Django playing

Joyful Uke
04-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Kanilea Pineapple Special
Mark Roberts side sound hole only uke
Iiwi redwood tenor
Hive
Steve Grimes
Jay Litchy
Compass Rose Jumbo Tenor (this one is in the pipeline..)
Matching tenor baritone and guitar from Beau Hannam
Oh the dreams a man can dream..

You're going to need several blank checks. LOL. If I find a source for them, I'll send a stack your way. :-)

Joyful Uke
04-06-2019, 02:24 PM

Ohhhh, nice.
We've got to find someone to hand out those blank checks. :-)

RafterGirl
04-06-2019, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure where I'd start. Like Joyful Uke, I play concert scale, so that would eliminate some high end stuff. Maybe an Ono, Iiwi, Mya-Moe, or Hoffman. A custom built Kanilea or KoAloha would be cool.

Anthroterra
04-06-2019, 03:26 PM
Hmm... tough one. I'm not a fan of shiny finish ukes like Moore Bettah, Kanile'a, etc (although I know I could change finish selection). I actually have my dream uke in my Beansprout lol. But I would happily add an R.E. Phillips resonator or more sizes of Beansprouts (including banjo uke) lol. I already spend WAAY too much on ukuleles... but it's a much healthier drug than other options :P.

uke51
04-06-2019, 04:07 PM
I think I'd go for a Kamaka Concert. It would be like owning a piece of Ukulele history....

Ukulele Eddie
04-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Easy decision for me as I have or have had most anything I want to own. Two on the list I havenít yet owned are a Jay Lichty and a DeVine. My blank check would be for a Devine since thatís the higher price point. And the woods to be decided with Eric, but they would be exotic/premium.

kkimura
04-06-2019, 05:02 PM
I think I'd go for a Kamaka Concert. It would be like owning a piece of Ukulele history....

Yeah Kamaka Concert! That would be my choice too.

AQUATOPAZ
04-06-2019, 05:42 PM
While daydreaming at work today, I found myself wondering if someone gave me a blank check, said that I could write in any amount, but it would have to be used to buy a ukulele, (quite a daydream), what would I want?

While I think my UAS is somewhat under control right now, (ha!), it was a fun little daydream.

I suppose my would-love-to-try-but-can't-afford ukulele would be a Moore Bettah. Since I only play concert size, it's not just price that would keep that from happening. I'd be looking for a unicorn.

In that daydream, do you happen to meet Chuck in a coffe shop, get to talking, and he says he has the time that week ro make you a custom concert? That, with the blank check, would be a very nice daydream.

glennerd
04-06-2019, 05:56 PM
The Rebel Particle left quite an impression on me recently.

https://vimeo.com/320693427

MopMan
04-06-2019, 06:09 PM
If I had a stack of blank checks sitting around, I'd convince Jake Maclay to build me a custom 18" tenor out of adirondack spruce and brazillian. With black ebony bridge, fingerboard, and bindings.

AQUATOPAZ
04-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Different sounds and different looks can contribute to the dream of a particular ukulele.

Slade
04-06-2019, 06:38 PM
Probably a Chuck Moore or a Petros.

Jan D
04-06-2019, 06:55 PM
I recently bought a dreamy KoAloha that will remain in re-entrant tuning. So the magical blank check that Joyful Uke has conjured up for me would definitely go towards a concert scale ukulele with a low G for fingerpicking. I love the looks and sound of the UC200 MoonBird, so I think that would be at the top of my list. But a Kinnard would be awfully nice. And then there is the... Hmmm, it's a good thing this is a make-believe situation, because there are just too many wonderful ukes out there to choose from! :-)
Jan D

Rakelele
04-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Hm, I guess I'd go for that very same Jay Lichty Myrtle and Bearclaw Spruce Baby Bard I already got:

https://lichtyguitars.com/2018/05/28/custom-myrtlewood-and-spruce-baby-bard-gets-strings/

Not sure if this counts having six strings, but it's the best of any instruments I have ever come across.

zztush
04-06-2019, 08:07 PM

Yeah Kamaka Concert! That would be my choice too.

Yes. I want Kamaka concert!

https://i.ibb.co/gVqJybC/3.png (https://imgbb.com/)

Graham Greenbag
04-06-2019, 08:14 PM

It’s perhaps not quite in the spirit of the thread but Bill’s response is, I think, valid (it’s skill that counts more than the instrument). Setting Bill’s response to one side, and the fun fantasy element of the original post too, I think that the question’s a tough one, or rather a tough one to answer with the perfect selection for any particular player. Over the years I’ve saved to purchase different items and done my research before purchase too, but that research never guarantees a good purchase because you’re never fully informed or don’t understand the significance of some piece of information - some purchases don’t live up to your expectations.

I don’t play expensive instruments ‘cause my skill level doesn’t warrant anything beyond say $150 - it’s amazing what you can do with a good basic Uke too - but if I were to pay more then at the moment Kiwaya and KoAloha Concerts appeal to me (the ones that I see friends and acquaintances playing seem to sound rather good and work well for them).

zztush
04-06-2019, 09:07 PM
Hi, Dave!

Listening to any kind of music may also help your music life. Wishing you a quick recovery!

https://i.ibb.co/W08XNzn/1.png (https://ibb.co/689SctY)

Just Russ
04-06-2019, 09:14 PM
I'd love to have a few more ukuleles with higher price tags: Mya-Moe, Blackbird, Hive, Moore Bettah (obviously), but honestly the REAL dream I have is to one day play well enough for any of these companies to offer me a custom at cost because I think that would be a good indication of some serious progress being made. If that makes sense.

That said, I've been doing a ton of research on cherry wood for ukuleles recently and Mya-Moe offers that as an option. But on the other hand, Blackbird's Farallon won't be in nearly as much danger when I eventually have to bring it to the desert on deployments, so you know. Decisions decisions. And it's always fun to do research.

UkingViking
04-06-2019, 10:33 PM
I dont like my ukes too shiny.
I will join the Kamaka concert team... Almost.

I actually consider buying one, especially if I ever go to the States. The cost like $400 more in EU compared to USA.

I should go more extravagant than something I would buy myself.
So I might ask Kamaka to make an Ohta San concert without rope binding. I am not fond of robe binding, but those Ohta Sans sound really good on youtube.

MikeHollandGuitar
04-07-2019, 12:23 AM

Dave...whatever the surgery you are having on your hand I really hope it is successful. 8 months is quite a while but if it is successful it will be worth it. I like the idea of keeping your head in music one way or another as you recuperate. I had a thumb injury a few years back which was very worrying.......I decided to learn to play Lap Steel guitar. It was the best thing I could have done......and is so much fun! Mike.

DownUpDave
04-07-2019, 02:21 AM
Dave...whatever the surgery you are having on your hand I really hope it is successful. 8 months is quite a while but if it is successful it will be worth it. I like the idea of keeping your head in music one way or another as you recuperate. I had a thumb injury a few years back which was very worrying.......I decided to learn to play Lap Steel guitar. It was the best thing I could have done......and is so much fun! Mike.

Thanks for the encouraging words Mike and thanks to the other well wishers, I really do appreciate it. The initial prognosis is two months minimum and as long as 8 months depending on rehab.

JJFN
04-07-2019, 04:56 AM
Good luck with your surgery Dave.

Joyful Uke
04-07-2019, 05:29 AM
In that daydream, do you happen to meet Chuck in a coffe shop, get to talking, and he says he has the time that week ro make you a custom concert? That, with the blank check, would be a very nice daydream.

Even better, he has a ukulele with him that is the perfect ukulele for me, and hands it to me. No waiting! In daydreams, everything is possible. LOL.

YogiTom
04-07-2019, 05:54 AM
The initial prognosis is two months minimum and as long as 8 months depending on rehab.

I hope your (speedy!) recovery includes plenty of physical therapy! Nothing like retraining the body after injury/surgery to get back to par.

Jellyfish have astounding recoveries from otherwise fatal injuries by continuing to flex those muscles; over time, their body reforms to compensate due to all the physical exertion. And while we are slightly more complex than jellies, the idea of the body regrowing/healing and adapting to the exertion is something I think applies to us, too.

Again, hope youíre not out of it too long. Best of luck in both the surgery and on the musical training.

kerneltime
04-07-2019, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words Mike and thanks to the other well wishers, I really do appreciate it. The initial prognosis is two months minimum and as long as 8 months depending on rehab.
Time for slide ukulele?

Rllink
04-07-2019, 08:36 AM
I think that I would write it for a Kamaka concert. Just for the history more than anything.

shanmoon
04-07-2019, 10:16 AM
I would love to get one of the Rebel Livingstons, either the Cedar or Spruce top (anyone got one they want to part with?) Otherwise I would probably build a custom Kanile'a tenor, with a Macassar Ebony body and Cedar Top, with ebony slotted headstock, and Koa Binding/Rosette. Maybe a comfort edge and a cutaway.

Osprey
04-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Yikes!! Dave, I had no idea. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

merlin666
04-07-2019, 07:28 PM
Compared to other consumer goods and services I find ukuleles and guitars very affordable and life is too short not to play what you dream off as long as it does not take quality of life away from you and your loved ones. As a result I now own many more and much better instruments than I actually ever dreamed of. And although they are way beyond my skill and talent level I do believe that they make me a better player. Don't let a price tag stand between you and a great uke!

UkingViking
04-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Compared to other consumer goods and services I find ukuleles and guitars very affordable and life is too short not to play what you dream off as long as it does not take quality of life away from you and your loved ones. As a result I now own many more and much better instruments than I actually ever dreamed of. And although they are way beyond my skill and talent level I do believe that they make me a better player. Don't let a price tag stand between you and a great uke!

I am fortunate enough to be able to buy an expensive uke like that if I prioritized. When I dont it is a combination of the factors that I don't want to be a horder, I would be afraid to damage too expensive an ukulele, and the believe that no matter how expensive an ukulele I buy, I will always look for something better. Anyway, I am going to buy a more expensive uke sometime, I will just enjoy the Journey.

However, for many people it is not easy to spend more than $2000 on a high end ukulele without taking something away from you and your love ones. Perhaps it is cheaper than buying watches or something like that, but still.

merlin666
04-08-2019, 05:22 AM
I am fortunate enough to be able to buy an expensive uke like that if I prioritized. When I dont it is a combination of the factors that I don't want to be a horder, I would be afraid to damage too expensive an ukulele, and the believe that no matter how expensive an ukulele I buy, I will always look for something better. Anyway, I am going to buy a more expensive uke sometime, I will just enjoy the Journey.

However, for many people it is not easy to spend more than $2000 on a high end ukulele without taking something away from you and your love ones. Perhaps it is cheaper than buying watches or something like that, but still.

Yes appropriate storage space for multiple instruments can be an issue, and I sure want to upgrade my house to one that has a dedicated music room that will be off-limits to the cats. As for damaging I had those worries too, but I still take them out to busy place but am careful. I am getting older and see people with failing health and death so I am also getting much less obsessed about material stuff. I think that being worried about potential re-sale is very detrimental to enjoying an instrument. And yeah my other passion is travelling and when I look at the cost of a one-week trip for the family and the cost of an uke with life-long enjoyment potential it's really a non-brainer. I am fortunate enough to do both as I wish.

Kibes37
04-08-2019, 08:31 AM
I agree life is too short not to snag a high priced Uke if it doesn’t affect bills and such. I see Ukes as more than material. Higher end ones anyway. As Kimo says “all Ukes have their own personalities” and I’m looking for new great friends that make me happy at all times. Plus, I always comfort myself with the fact I can recoup most of the money if need be, although that is never my intention when buying. I have spent more money on this passion/ hobby than anything else and have not regretted a penny.

A Uke from Chuck would be my fantasy. All others I desire I plan on acquiring eventually.

Photodan
04-08-2019, 03:10 PM

That is purty

mnb128
04-08-2019, 03:10 PM
This oneís easy for me. Moore Bettah, 100% curly koa and no fancy inlay. Just pure, elegant, Hawaiian beauty with that Moore Bettah sound. My other dream was a Hive, but I just got on the build list. Much closer to reality now for that one.

I wonder if thereís anyone out there with an extra koa Moore Bettah laying around that wants to make my dreams come true. Hey, weíre dreaming, right? :rolleyes:

BTW, best wishes on a speedy recovery, DownUpDave.

TobyDog
04-08-2019, 03:37 PM
That's easy - aNue Nue Moon Bird tenor. I like everything about them.
The Moore Bettah's are beautiful, but too nice for me. I'd be afraid I'd scratch it, I couldn't feel comfortable with it.

Strumdaddy
04-08-2019, 04:52 PM
All my playing needs are met by the ukes I have - HALLELUJAH !!!! (really), but my lottery winning uke purchase would be a 5K Martin, not because I think it plays 20 times better than a good style 0, but because it is so beautiful - a tribute to the finer aspects of the human condition.

AQUATOPAZ
04-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Yes appropriate storage space for multiple instruments can be an issue, and I sure want to upgrade my house to one that has a dedicated music room that will be off-limits to the cats. As for damaging I had those worries too, but I still take them out to busy place but am careful. I am getting older and see people with failing health and death so I am also getting much less obsessed about material stuff. I think that being worried about potential re-sale is very detrimental to enjoying an instrument. And yeah my other passion is travelling and when I look at the cost of a one-week trip for the family and the cost of an uke with life-long enjoyment potential it's really a non-brainer. I am fortunate enough to do both as I wish.

I would never worry about resale value, but I know if I damage it, that's the first thing I would always see.

Rllink
04-09-2019, 02:49 AM

I'll just go ahead and dedicate ten minutes of my daily practice to you. Send me some songs if you want me to work on them. If not, I'll just pick something randomly that I think you would like. If we can get a few more people to dedicate a little practice time, you might get in an hour a day. Then when you get your hand back and working, you can just pick up from there. :) Good luck. I hope your recovery is quick.

AustinHing
04-09-2019, 05:56 AM
This uke is so pretty that I won’t care even if it does not sound as nice, which I’m sure it sounds amazing as well. But the price tag... so if I could buy any uke, this is the one for me.

https://www.petrosukuleles.com/tunnel-13-tenor

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b9085825ffd20f6c77f6114/5bac0cf0f4e1fc0c507c1c1d/5c91326a71c10b4b8d78ce83/1553019506772/%2323+3-4.jpg
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/5b9085825ffd20f6c77f6114/1553019326178-HZGPR4XMJBTG2YC7WBPL/%2323Front.jpg?format=750w&content-type=image%2Fjpeg

kerneltime
04-09-2019, 06:33 AM
I saw this on reverb but did not know what to make of it.
at that price point it would be nice to go with a ukulele specialist or some one who has been making ukes and has samples online going back a few years.

This uke is so pretty that I won’t care even if it does not sound as nice, which I’m sure it sounds amazing as well. But the price tag... so if I could buy any uke, this is the one for me.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5b9085825ffd20f6c77f6114/5bac0cf0f4e1fc0c507c1c1d/5c91326a71c10b4b8d78ce83/1553019506772/%2323+3-4.jpg
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/5b9085825ffd20f6c77f6114/1553019326178-HZGPR4XMJBTG2YC7WBPL/%2323Front.jpg?format=750w&content-type=image%2Fjpeg

Down Up Dick
04-09-2019, 07:07 AM
I’d buy a Natonal Steel uke if I had money to burn and ever wanted another ukulele. :old:

Swamp Yankee
04-09-2019, 07:34 AM
I'd hold out for a pristine, excellent condition Martin C1 concert uke from before WWII

jimavery
04-09-2019, 08:59 AM
I've thought a lot about this question and I've decided I can't decide! I enjoy my current uke so much, I fear that however much I could spend, and however 'perfect' the sound, anything new wouldn't match the fun I get from playing my BrŁko.

Ukecaster
04-09-2019, 11:30 AM
Despite my spotty love/indifference for koa tone, I'd like to try (not necessarily buy) both a Kanilea K1T and a vintage Kamaka concert, with the cool wave headstock.

AustinHing
04-09-2019, 01:02 PM
I saw this on reverb but did not know what to make of it.
at that price point it would be nice to go with a ukulele specialist or some one who has been making ukes and has samples online going back a few years.

I have the impression that they been making ukes for years. Perhaps the hefty price tag is the reason why there isn’t much reviews and samples around. I do like how their ukuleles resemble the old medieval musical instruments that will not look out of place in a Lord of the Rings movie.

AustinHing
04-09-2019, 01:07 PM
I'd hold out for a pristine, excellent condition Martin C1 concert uke from before WWII
For someone (me) who believes in after life, I would never touch that. But I do appreciate vintage instruments too, but not playing it.

mjh42
04-09-2019, 01:08 PM
Ahhh if I had the money and what would I buy????

That "Django” Archtop Ukulele sure looks nice. I want nice looking and a nice sounding ukulele. I'd want the skills to be able play it to it's fullest potential. I suppose money and time could buy both.......but then all I would be doing is playing ukulele......would be ok on some level but i like doing other things too....'course tossing aside work and menial chores would open up a lot of time for ukulele and what not....

I spent last years performance pay on a Tenor Koaloha.....the when I saw a big price increase in the Godin's Mulituke I jumped one at the old price.....

I lean toward something with beautiful wood and better sound.....I'd have to spend a bundle traveling the world to find it....what an adventure of its self...

Joyful Uke
04-09-2019, 01:37 PM
I lean toward something with beautiful wood and better sound.....I'd have to spend a bundle traveling the world to find it....what an adventure of it's self...

You're making great use of that imaginary blank check by adding in traveling the world to find that special ukulele. Good thinking!

It's interesting to hear the responses. We're lucky to have a variety of ukuleles out there that are worthy of our daydreams.

Martinlover
04-09-2019, 08:48 PM
A Hive ukulele or perhaps a Steve Grimes.

SoloRule
04-10-2019, 05:28 AM
I always think of buying ukulele is the same as driving a car. Any car can get you from point A to point B. Why not buy one that has the best handling and gives you the smoothest ride. I have heard people say spend your money on lessons, play it well instead of buying pricey instruments . I disagreed !! If you have a good instrument, wouldn't you be spending a lot more time playing and perfecting your skill?

I would definitely add a third LFdM to my collection !!! :D

glennerd
04-10-2019, 05:32 AM
I take back my previous choice. If I could get my hands on a new Ken Timms style 0 and someone was writing the cheque, good enough for me. Maybe even if someone wasn't writing the cheque.

bratsche
04-10-2019, 05:58 AM
If I were handed a blank check that had to be used to purchase an ukulele, I suppose I would choose something altogether different from what I already have, as in more exotic... say, a harp ukulele, or a grand tenor, or even an 8-string... I'm not sure. But I know it wouldn't be simply a more expensive model of tenor or baritone, as I am content with those I have.

I'm not of the opinion that more expensive is necessarily better or more satisfying. To me, instruments are tools for making music, and I form my opinions of them based on my ears, not the price tag. Case in point, as I mainly play the viola - I adore my everyday player viola, which also happens to be the least expensive of the three I've played professionally over the years. I was just fortunate to find it where and how I did, and we were "meant for each other". I sold a viola that I paid five times more for.

I like the vehicle analogy as well. And I would not trade my 2000 Ford Ranger for anything. I've driven it long distance many times, it's reliable, comfortable, and has all of the features I want - a stick shift, cold air, a regular sized spare tire, and absolutely no computerized or electronic anything! :)

bratsche

keenonuke
04-10-2019, 08:16 AM
For DownupDave
I hope all goes well with your operation. Let us know how it goes. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

AQUATOPAZ
04-10-2019, 09:21 AM
You mean you don't like/ want a vehicle whose problems cannot be diagnosed unless they "recreate" the issue? I am befuddled. BTW, I hope it never gets in an accident. My beautiful, Ltd, Ed. Jeep was totaled by a fool. It seems wrong that liability ends at the current value, even if all you want is your car back and you weren't at fault.

Cluze
04-11-2019, 02:21 PM
Not that I am looking to fuel my UAS, but...

If I could buy any uke, no questions asked and no issue with cost, I think it would be a aNueNue Moonbird concert. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about them and I love the aesthetics.

MopMan
04-12-2019, 10:09 AM
This uke is so pretty that I wonít care even if it does not sound as nice, which Iím sure it sounds amazing as well. But the price tag... so if I could buy any uke, this is the one for me.

Dear God, that thing is gorgeous. I'm not usually one to go gaga over the look of an instrument, either.

$7,800 though? That's a really steep price tag. I guess that's why it gets brought up in this game...

merlin666
04-12-2019, 10:36 AM
Any ukulele, then I'd reach for the unobtanium ... a Kawika 6-string spalted koa tenor!

captain-janeway
04-12-2019, 10:44 AM
Me, I rather have the private lessons that get me moving on a better practice path. THEN I'll go after the fancy uke. Right now I'm really happy with my Kala solid cedar top with low g string.

Chopped Liver
04-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Hm . . . I would like a concert ukulele made out of Redwood . . .

Ukulelerick9255
04-13-2019, 06:25 AM
I already have a custom Beau Hannam so my next dream Uke would be Mo Bettah by Chuck Moore hands down,

Oldtoolie
04-19-2019, 03:10 AM
I would like a Kamaka that belonged to George Harrison.

If I couldn't have that, I would want a Sumi Kobo Hummingbird.

This one sold in a few days for £2650.

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/sumi-hb-t-hummingbird-tenor-ukulele-all-solid-spruce-curly-maple-masterbuilt/

Joyful Uke
04-19-2019, 05:22 AM

Ohhh, that would be something very special.

Nickie
04-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Well, my dream is coming true! I've commissioned a one of a kind design by Donna LoPrinzi. I can't imagine needing a more special uke than that.

hollisdwyer
04-19-2019, 01:42 PM

I totally agree with this remark. If I had stuck with the first Uke I purchased I would have never continued playing the Uke. It hurt my ears and my soul to play an instrument that made me cringe every time I played it. Playing the instruments I have now and in the recent past has encouraged me to play more and even be engaged in ‘formal’ music lessons again for the first time in nearly 60 years.

Actually I don’t know why I even started to read this thread as I am personally in a de-acquisition mode. I have already started selling off my collection and will probably see its size cut in half soon. But the dream of being even a small part of the creation of a bespoke instrument is a pleasant one to spend a little time on.

As you can see from my signature block I currently own some great instruments and have owned many others in the past. I have always and only seen myself as the ‘current custodian’ of the instruments I have purchased or commissioned. Once I reached the level of custom made instruments I learned a number of interesting and important things. Every instrument had its own unique voice so playing it was like meeting and talking to people from far away and interesting places. I also learned that each responded to my touch differently and I could therefore express my emotions differently through each of those instruments.

But enough of this existential philosophy, let’s get back to our UAS dreams.

I would be very happy to acquire another instrument from the Luthiers I have already commissioned. Having said that I would still love to play a Hive, a Kinnard, a LdFM and a mini 5 string current Beansprout. I’ve already played a Moore Bettah and yes, they are great.

cyber3d
04-20-2019, 10:19 PM
I'd buy any uke I could that George Harrison played!

Osprey
04-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Well, my dream is coming true! I've commissioned a one of a kind design by Donna LoPrinzi. I can't imagine needing a more special uke than that.

That’s pretty special, Nickie. I am truly happy for you. Next time I get into that part of the state I want to visit LoPrinzi and see what they would do for a custom Baritone.

cFloor
04-21-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm already happy and content with the ukes I have, but if someone handed me a blank check I'd either go with a custom Martin Tenor or a Mya-Moe Beansprout. I can see myself one day ending up with the Beansprout but I couldn't justify a custom Martin Tenor mainly because I'm so happy with the old Martin 1T I already have. This is fun to think about though!

penak
04-21-2019, 08:40 AM
Following!this seems like a very interesting threadhttps://juragan.club/assets/4/o.png

Jerryc41
04-22-2019, 01:04 AM
Yes. I want Kamaka concert!

https://i.ibb.co/gVqJybC/3.png (https://imgbb.com/)

When he was on the island, he would go to Kamaka and buy several so he would always have some for his friends to play. The Kamaka people supposedly joked that he would have to leave some for their regular customers.

Jerryc41
04-22-2019, 01:08 AM
The Rebel Particle left quite an impression on me recently.

https://vimeo.com/320693427

Wow! Great looks and sound. KoAloha makes one with light and dark top wood.

The name sounds like something I'd hear from the people at the supercollider. "We hope to discover the Rebel Particle today."

What a coincidence! There is a guitar named Supercollider. :D

https://reverb.com/item/18217726-new-2018-wire-instruments-supercollider-2018-quilted-maple-sunburst?gclid=CjwKCAjwzPXlBRAjEiwAj_XTEeilk5jVP1E xTd9wG5S39C8KBB98DVJuc8N1DHScS7BBQZkxAU4WtRoCxYEQA vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

Jerryc41
04-22-2019, 01:10 AM
I'm not of the opinion that more expensive is necessarily better or more satisfying.

bratsche

Definitely!

Jerryc41
04-22-2019, 01:17 AM
This uke is so pretty that I wonít care even if it does not sound as nice, which Iím sure it sounds amazing as well. But the price tag... so if I could buy any uke, this is the one for me.

I laughed out loud for a while when I saw the price. I wonder how a builder decides on a price. I see two practical things: cost of materials and labor time. Aside from that, it's all aesthetics. How does it look? How well is it put together? How does it sound?

If I bought one of those, would I ever be able to sell it at close to the purchase price?

Jerryc41
04-22-2019, 01:20 AM

If I couldn't have that, I would want a Sumi Kobo Hummingbird.

This one sold in a few days for £2650.

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/sumi-hb-t-hummingbird-tenor-ukulele-all-solid-spruce-curly-maple-masterbuilt/

I wonder what happened to all of them. He had quite a few.

AustinHing
04-22-2019, 03:10 PM
I laughed out loud for a while when I saw the price. I wonder how a builder decides on a price. I see two practical things: cost of materials and labor time. Aside from that, it's all aesthetics. How does it look? How well is it put together? How does it sound?

If I bought one of those, would I ever be able to sell it at close to the purchase price?

They seems to be building guitars as well under petros guitar. Once you saw the guitar prices, a ukulele is nothing in comparison.

There’s very little sound samples online which explains the almost practically non-existence discussion here.

Jerryc41
04-22-2019, 10:38 PM
They seems to be building guitars as well under petros guitar. Once you saw the guitar prices, a ukulele is nothing in comparison.

Definitely!

Kenn2018
04-23-2019, 07:12 PM
I would for sure commission two custom tenors. One for picking fingerstyle and one for strumming. No compromises for it to do both. Built to fit my hands and body perfectly.

With mastergrade woods and fittings.

As for the luthier, I'd have to play their instruments and see which builds appealed to me the most.

For sure Moore Bettah & Hive would be on the list. But I think lesser-known luthiers would also be investigated. I really like Mike Pereira's work. It'd be great to be able to offer an unlimited budget and see what he would do.

I am pretty sure I wouldn't use it for a signature model anything. An optimized uke made to fit someone else. Though some of those might inspire me for features.

Understated beauty meeting functionality. That would be my dream.

bacchettadavid
04-24-2019, 02:32 AM
I'd probably spring for a spectactular re-entrant tenor--probably a Pegasus, Koa Works, or Ukulele Pu'uwai--with inlays inspired by my favorite works of medieval art.

hollisdwyer
04-24-2019, 02:50 AM
As great as it would be to play many of instruments mentioned in this thread, when I really put my mind to it and if I wanted to buy another Uke at this time, I would go for this beautiful electric Tenor by Mike Periera.
https://www.mpukulele.com/electrics

The style 2 in blue has caught my eye for a while now.

Oldtoolie
04-24-2019, 03:05 AM
I guess no one had the unlimited budget for this Harrison Kamaka - didn't meet reserve. https://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/177/lot/75599

George Harrison had UAS too and owned several of George Formby's Gibson banjoleles. One of these would be the ultimate unlimited budget uke for me.

Brian May, the guitarist from the rock band Queen, bought a Formby ukulele for £72,000 in 2008 said to be Formby's favourite.

Here's a story from a past president of the Formby Society explaining how he helped Harrison get started in ukes and how he refused to sell George one of his Formby ukes. http://www.theukuleleman.com/page2.html

captain-janeway
07-19-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure where I'd start. Like Joyful Uke, I play concert scale, so that would eliminate some high end stuff. Maybe an Ono, Iiwi, Mya-Moe, or Hoffman. A custom built Kanilea or KoAloha would be cool.

I know huh? Almost all the high end stuff is Tenor with some sopranos. Until I can play better I wouldn't buy one anyway. It would be a gift to me if I get to a point where I'm happier with my playing.

kkimura
07-19-2019, 11:25 AM
UAS being what it is, I might need more than one check.

keenonuke
07-19-2019, 12:40 PM
UAS being what it is, I might need more than one check.

I like your idea - more than one check :-)

My dream ukulele is definitely a Duane Noble harp https://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/custom-builds/dl-noble-redwood-the-tree-mahogany-harp-ukulele.html

TobyDog
07-19-2019, 01:17 PM
What I'd rather have, more than any expensive ukulele.... would be one year of weekly music lessons with Corey Fujimoto. I'd love to be able to play like him or at least have him share some of his his ukulele skill.

prb035
07-19-2019, 01:44 PM
What I'd rather have, more than any expensive ukulele.... would be one year of weekly music lessons with Corey Fujimoto. I'd love to be able to play like him or at least have him share some of his his ukulele skill.

+1 :D I'm with you TobyDog! What a great idea :D

keenonuke
07-19-2019, 01:52 PM
+1 :D I'm with you TobyDog! What a great idea :D

Now we need a third check :-) And I'm going kalei gamiao
In the meantime I enjoy my current teacher and would only add more lessons :-)

rainbow21
07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
You should include (and maybe move to the top of the list) Aldrine Guerrero, founder of this forum and instructor extraordinaire!

Croaky Keith
07-19-2019, 10:42 PM
If I were to have unlimited funds, I think I'd stick with KoAloha, the first Opio I bought put an end to my UAS. :cool:

Jerryc41
07-20-2019, 01:22 AM
I think I already have that covered. Aside from the five-digit ukes, I'm satisfied with what I have. The Martin Konter uke is lurking in the back of my mind, but for the price, I'll skip it. I'm down to fifty-eight now with a couple more to sell.

Cluze
07-20-2019, 02:25 AM

That would be amazing! Corey is one of my favorite players. His ability to casually and confidently switch between styles is just incredible.

Amelia28
07-21-2019, 05:56 AM
Hi,
that's a beautiful daydream. I would pick up an expensive one.
like Martin style 5K soprano ukulele.

Dafont (https://appsync.biz/dafont/) Showbox (https://showbox.bio/) Adam4adam (https://www.oovoo.onl/adam4adam/)

Jerryc41
07-21-2019, 06:07 AM
Hi,
that's a beautiful daydream. I would pick up an expensive one.
like Martin style 5K soprano ukulele.

I've seen them online, but I'd be afraid to play it or bring it anywhere. The price is just too high for a fancy Martin soprano.

Swamp Yankee
07-21-2019, 06:15 AM
I'd buy the elusive Kiwaya KTT-2KS as seen on Fernandez Music (http://www.fernandezmusic.com/Kiwaya_Ukuleles.html)

AQUATOPAZ
07-21-2019, 06:15 AM
I've seen them online, but I'd be afraid to play it or bring it anywhere. The price is just too high for a fancy Martin soprano.

Did you check out the story on Ukulele Magazine about the 5K for $125?

Swamp Yankee
07-21-2019, 06:18 AM

was it owned by a little old lady who only played it at church on Sundays? ;)

AQUATOPAZ
07-21-2019, 06:29 AM
was it owned by a little old lady who only played it at church on Sundays? ;)

It was a long while ago, but it was still way below market and it's a cool story.

Jerryc41
07-21-2019, 10:57 AM

It sounds familiar, and I've heard similar stories about cars.

https://www.ukulelemag.com/stories/news/uke-tales-finding-a-jewel?fbclid=IwAR1RrhfDhp5g4_r2jr6lRIfZHl8mb0zDLID krJKW8-EZLwZJOQ74z9IYwC4