If You Could Buy Any Ukulele

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
While daydreaming at work today, I found myself wondering if someone gave me a blank check, said that I could write in any amount, but it would have to be used to buy a ukulele, (quite a daydream), what would I want?

While I think my UAS is somewhat under control right now, (ha!), it was a fun little daydream.

I suppose my would-love-to-try-but-can't-afford ukulele would be a Moore Bettah. Since I only play concert size, it's not just price that would keep that from happening. I'd be looking for a unicorn.

What ukulele would you buy with that daydream check in any amount?

Kanilea ukulele has a "build your own" tool on their site. I "built" one to see what it would cost and lets just say that it'll never happen! But that's what I'd want.

Kanilea Pineapple Special
Mark Roberts side sound hole only uke
Iiwi redwood tenor
Hive
Steve Grimes
Jay Litchy
Compass Rose Jumbo Tenor (this one is in the pipeline..)
Matching tenor baritone and guitar from Beau Hannam
Oh the dreams a man can dream..

Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.

Good Advice!

Most people are thinking about selling their dream ukulele because they have not learned how to play it and see that it is actually their dream ukulele. I would suggest using the blank cheque to set up a serious two or three learning process to help you get the most out of what you already have on board in your brain and body so you realise that the music is in you, its not in the ukulele.

Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.

Last edited:

I understand what you're saying, though none of the instructional materials or on-line classes have kept my interest. I'm not sure what I'd be spending the money on for a serious learning process.Playing what I want keeps me playing every day. It's just a hobby for me.

But, it is fun to try other ukuleles, and if you can, why not?

Sometimes when I'm working on something, I find that I can keep myself working on it longer by trying it on another ukulele, and getting a different sound or different feel.

We all have different approaches, and it's all good. :)

Gonna be a dream stealer in every crowd. Lighten up Bill1 this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

I will play the game and pick a Moore Bettah because he is not even taking people to go on the waiting list, for the waiting list.

Just so you know Bill1 I am doing something like you suggested this year. My left hand will be operated on at the end of April, I might not be able to play for as long as 8 months. I will taking singing lessons and studying music theory to stay in the game. Will also use the time to learn new finger picking patterns and possibly learn to play slide, my left hand ring finger is the only one not being cut open.
Happy to hear that you will use the down time productively! Wishing you a quick recovery!

this was meant to be a fun, wimsicle little thread :p

Right. I don't think anyone will ever hand me a blank check, tell me to fill in the amount, and it must be used to purchase a ukulele.
Just having a bit of fun.

Good luck with that surgery. I hope that you heal quickly and well.

Oh boy! I want to try a arch top but not plugged does it sound good in person?

A friend of mine has one of these very instruments. He is a professional jazz musician who plays double bass in a big band. Yes it sounds good unplugged although he had it strung to minimize sustain for his type of Django playing

Kanilea Pineapple Special
Mark Roberts side sound hole only uke
Iiwi redwood tenor
Hive
Steve Grimes
Jay Litchy
Compass Rose Jumbo Tenor (this one is in the pipeline..)
Matching tenor baritone and guitar from Beau Hannam
Oh the dreams a man can dream..

You're going to need several blank checks. LOL. If I find a source for them, I'll send a stack your way. :)

I'm not sure where I'd start. Like Joyful Uke, I play concert scale, so that would eliminate some high end stuff. Maybe an Ono, Iiwi, Mya-Moe, or Hoffman. A custom built Kanilea or KoAloha would be cool.

Hmm... tough one. I'm not a fan of shiny finish ukes like Moore Bettah, Kanile'a, etc (although I know I could change finish selection). I actually have my dream uke in my Beansprout lol. But I would happily add an R.E. Phillips resonator or more sizes of Beansprouts (including banjo uke) lol. I already spend WAAY too much on ukuleles... but it's a much healthier drug than other options :p.

I think I'd go for a Kamaka Concert. It would be like owning a piece of Ukulele history....

Easy decision for me as I have or have had most anything I want to own. Two on the list I haven’t yet owned are a Jay Lichty and a DeVine. My blank check would be for a Devine since that’s the higher price point. And the woods to be decided with Eric, but they would be exotic/premium.

While daydreaming at work today, I found myself wondering if someone gave me a blank check, said that I could write in any amount, but it would have to be used to buy a ukulele, (quite a daydream), what would I want?

While I think my UAS is somewhat under control right now, (ha!), it was a fun little daydream.

I suppose my would-love-to-try-but-can't-afford ukulele would be a Moore Bettah. Since I only play concert size, it's not just price that would keep that from happening. I'd be looking for a unicorn.

What ukulele would you buy with that daydream check in any amount?

In that daydream, do you happen to meet Chuck in a coffe shop, get to talking, and he says he has the time that week ro make you a custom concert? That, with the blank check, would be a very nice daydream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom