Blank check for learning processes

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Bill1 suggested using my imaginary blank checks for 2 or 3 learning processes instead of pretending we could buy a new ukulele.

That did get me thinking, and wondering:
What would some of the possible learning processes be?

I would probably spend it on having certain arrangements tabbed out, so I could learn those. But, I don't think that's the kind of thing that Bill1 had in mind?

The on-line courses haven't kept my interest, so I don't think I'd spend my blank check on those. Not sure what I'd do, but I would think that some of you might have some fun ideas. :)

There is the February, 2020 session in Hawaii with Kimo Hussey that includes a DeVine custom ukulele. Limited to eight participants with primo food and accommodations for the four days.

There is the February, 2020 session in Hawaii with Kimo Hussey that includes a DeVine custom ukulele. Limited to eight participants with primo food and accommodations for the four days.

See, I knew you all would have some great ideas. :)

I'd go for the "Matrix" learning method. You know, ask "Tank" to load up the "Aldrine" program.

Could I just use the blank check to pay my bills so I didn't have to work and actually had time to play the uke? :)

John

Could I just use the blank check to pay my bills so I didn't have to work and actually had time to play the uke? :)

John

That would be great, wouldn't it? :)

Since it's just a daydream anyway, all things are possible.

Yes, don’t work and play ukulele in Hawaii, to kind of combine the two above. I’m sure, given enough time there, I’d come up with even more ideas. :cool:

What was it about the online courses that didn't hold your interest? That may offer a clue to what sort of "learning process" to pursue.

They didn't use music that I wanted to play. That's the primary thing.

As far as technical skills, there are lots of basic things that won't be in my skill set no matter what, (I've had some hand injuries over the years), and of course, online courses are for a wider audience than just me, so they focus on a lot of things that I have to skip over.

What I would like to work on is figuring out how to do my own arrangements, but I don't know any classes for things like that. Meanwhile, I simply alter existing arrangements to accommodate my limitations. But that way, I can play music that interests me, instead of whatever is in the online courses.

It would be a pretty cheap blank check I think. I just got an email from ArtistWorks.com, learn from the Masters. For two hundred fifty bucks I can take a course from Craig Chee and Sarah Maisel with certificates and badges awarded in three levels. Gotta love certificates and badges. If someone gave me a blank check that I had to spend on lessons I would do that, if just to give Craig and Sarah some support in their endeavors. I know how hard it is to make a buck out there. Otherwise, I can't think of any. I'm really okay with picking it up as I go.

I've been fortunate enough to attend two workshops with great teachers in the past 6 months or so. A two day workshop with Kimo Hussey, and an all day workshop with Stu Fuchs yesterday. Neither were pricey, and both were great learning experiences. If I could do a weeklong session in person with someone like Kimo or Stu, and then weekly online lessons, that would be fun. Stu has lots of online lessons, so I'll start with those. I had a blast at his workshop yesterday. Lots of technique stuff, and just some fun music to jam out with him. He's a very engaging teacher.

I think poor people can not buy Kamaka, but can become a good player. I would have a cheap blank check for local ukulele teacher's lessons. She has classes in local music shop and she published many ukulele and banjolele books.

You might find one of those video courses, perhaps online lessons through Skype, or perhaps some workshops you can attend. Any of those kinds of things can help push us out of our comfort zones and move on to new levels.

I guess the first question is... What do you want to play?

Also by arrangements, are you talking about instrumentals?

If you want to play instrumentals, how simple/complex?

I ask this because if you are just looking to figure out songs with simple melodies and chords, it is relatively easy. Some of the early Jake stuff opened my eyes to playing in the key of G or C and D. Basic melodies using pretty simple chord shapes or making up a shape elsewhere on the neck that has the right notes. I probably have 25 or 30 songs that use the same chords, or slightly modified chords. But when you play the melody, and change the technique a bit, people don’t seem to realize that I played the same chords on the last 3 songs. That is simple stuff. And sometimes I cheat and find something on YouTube and copy it and/or add my own twist.

If you want more complex arrangements, you probably need to understand some music theory and how different scale patterns work. Some people are able to grasp it and some can’t or don’t have the patience. Tab is pretty meaningless if you don’t know why you are playing certain notes/chords. My younger brother understands all of that and it came easy to him. I just have deer in the headlights when he talks about it.

A friend at work used to just noodle for years on the guitar; chords and blues riffs. He decided to make a conscious effort to learn theory. He went the CAGED route with an instructor and after 3 years intense work he was all over the neck playing bluegrass and changing keys. He knew all these scales and how every thing worked. But he put in hours of work to get there.

It really depends on what you want to do.

John

Last edited:
Bill1 suggested using my imaginary blank checks for 2 or 3 learning processes instead of pretending we could buy a new ukulele.

That did get me thinking, and wondering:
What would some of the possible learning processes be?

I would probably spend it on having certain arrangements tabbed out, so I could learn those. But, I don't think that's the kind of thing that Bill1 had in mind?

The on-line courses haven't kept my interest, so I don't think I'd spend my blank check on those. Not sure what I'd do, but I would think that some of you might have some fun ideas. :)

Kimo Hussey's Devine retreat limited to 8 people, so practically private. Or a bunch of private lessons with the premier instructor of your choice.

They didn't use music that I wanted to play. That's the primary thing.

As far as technical skills, there are lots of basic things that won't be in my skill set no matter what, (I've had some hand injuries over the years), and of course, online courses are for a wider audience than just me, so they focus on a lot of things that I have to skip over.

What I would like to work on is figuring out how to do my own arrangements, but I don't know any classes for things like that. Meanwhile, I simply alter existing arrangements to accommodate my limitations. But that way, I can play music that interests me, instead of whatever is in the online courses.

Ditto on not playing a lot of things I want to play. Too much folk music and Beatles (I know, I'm one of the odd ones who really doesn't like them).
I've been doing things like Uncle Rod's bootcamp, but most of this feels like learning in a vacuum. It's just learning transitions, etc, but not a lot of musicality.
I liked some of James Hill, but after like the 3rd lesson it seemed like I needed to know how to read sheet music. Maybe I missed something in there.
I like finger picking as opposed to strumming too.
If I had the blank check I'd get enough private lessons under my belt to help me figure out a good practice plan.

Too much folk music and Beatles (I know, I'm one of the odd ones who really doesn't like them).

And I'm the exact opposite. I'd be fine if I could find a course that covered nothing but The Beatles. LOL.

But, like you, I like finger picking instead of strumming, though I'm beginning to try to sort out a style of finger picking.

Figuring out a good practice plan would be a great thing to accomplish. I usually play every day, (even if life gets in the way, I try to play for at least a few minutes, if at all possible), but wouldn't say that I have a good practice plan in place.

Just find a good instructor. Depending on how much you could cash your imaginary blank check, you can find someone locally that is well versed in guitar arrangements, classical or otherwise, and have them work out arrangements for the ukulele and demonstrate techniques while imparting a bit of theory. Going to an instructor, who is competent in fingerstyle arrangements for stringed instruments is the way to go. Work on a song from start to finish and go to the next one. Over time you will have a repertoire and may be able to do some arrangements on your own.

If your imaginary blank check consists of 6 winning numbers, buy a place in Hawaii, go to the HMS crew and pay obscene amounts of money for private lessons from the best.

John

Yeah, that's what I want: private lessons from Kalei and Corey. And since it's a blank check, they can fly to me since I don't do airplanes! :rolleyes:

Give me a check for an extra soul, and tell me the way to the crossroads...

It would be nice with a learning proces that didnt require 10.000 hours of practice to become good.
With the right attitude one could probably practice their way to awesome skills based on free youtube videos alone.
I never had lessons, but I probably ought to, because I dont have that attitude.

If I took lessons, it wouldnt bother me If the songs played at the course were not the ones I want to play. I can learn those on my own, I would want to learn skills that I can transfer to any song I want to play.

Give me a check for an extra soul, and tell me the way to the crossroads...

It would be nice with a learning proces that didnt require 10.000 hours of practice to become good.
With the right attitude one could probably practice their way to awesome skills based on free youtube videos alone.
I never had lessons, but I probably ought to, because I dont have that attitude.

If I took lessons, it wouldnt bother me If the songs played at the course were not the ones I want to play. I can learn those on my own, I would want to learn skills that I can transfer to any song I want to play.

Agree, but if I have all the money, I can play anything I want. I'm already trying to learn with the stuff I don't like.

Top Bottom