Help! Advice on UAS for cheap dreadnought ukuleles

AustinHing

Reaction score
Help guys, I’m having an UAS Attack now. My mind is filled of thoughts on a Kamaka Ohta-san Hb-2D!

The Attack came too soon and it shouldn’t. Cos I just bought a shiny new ukulele.

I can’t afford a normal Kamaka, let alone an Ohta San.

So, can the good folks here point me a cheaper similar dreadnought or bell shaped ukulele to suppress the thirst? Many thanks!

I seem to recall there being a Sonny D bell shaped ukulele that was more affordable than the Ohta San. I can't find it with a quick google, but maybe that will give you something to look up?

This one is no longer for sale, but will give you an idea what the Sonny D Bell ukulele is like:
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/sonny-d-bell-longneck-ukulele/

Are you wanting the same size as an Ohta San? There are some sopranos that are bell shaped, (Ohana, for example. Elderly has one listed for $219.) I've never seen one in person, so don't know what they're like.

Last edited:
Doggone it, Joyful !! Now I'm getting a UAS attack too !! (In this case, I'd call it a sense of "Dred"...)

Switch off your computer.............& pick up your uke! :rofl::music:
I did that, played all my ukes, learnt some new songs but the itch is not going away.

I seem to recall there being a Sonny D bell shaped ukulele that was more affordable than the Ohta San. I can't find it with a quick google, but maybe that will give you something to look up?

This one is no longer for sale, but will give you an idea what the Sonny D Bell ukulele is like:
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/sonny-d-bell-longneck-ukulele/

Are you wanting the same size as an Ohta San? There are some sopranos that are bell shaped, (Ohana, for example. Elderly has one listed for $219.) I've never seen one in person, so don't know what they're like.
Thanks for the info. The sonny looks nice but their website is sort of down? Not much info available though, and I think it’s kind of out of my budget.

I would prefer a concert size if possible. The Ohta San scale length is 16 inches, in between tenor and concert. I will check out the ohana definitely.

The pear ukulele looks interesting but would kind of prefer a stronger looking lower bout, not sure if i make any senses. Haha.

Last edited:
Is it me or actually the kanile’a ukes are same shape as the kamaka Ohta san? I can’t tell the difference between them. Here’s some links.

Kamaka Ohta San
https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ukuleles/concert-ukuleles/kamaka-hb-2d-ohta-san-model-concert-ukulele-with-case.htm

Kanile’a concert k-1
https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ukuleles/concert-ukuleles/kanile-a-k-1-concert-deluxe-ukulele-gloss-finish-case.htm

Scale length should be different. The Kanile'a concert would have usual 15" scale length, and Ohta San has a 16" scale length.

Ono has a 16" scale ukulele, with a base price of $1,400. Still probably higher priced than you're looking for, but something like $800 less than an Ohta San.

Try KM Ukuleles. Kevin Mulcock in Wales makes dreadnought-shaped ukuleles. He's a great guy and easy to talk to. Great reputation as well.

km-ukuleles.com

Baz reviewed one of his concert dreadnoughts a while ago and had high praise for it. I have a walnut soprano, that I have in temporary custody, that is excellent! (Though I am not a soprano player, it's fun to take it out and put it through its paces.)

Kanilea is "rounder" to my eye.

I see.. now that you mentioned, it does look rounder now. Thanks for the insight.

Scale length should be different. The Kanile'a concert would have usual 15" scale length, and Ohta San has a 16" scale length.
Oh I meant the contours of the body, not the scale length. Haha.. thanks for the info too.

Ono has a 16" scale ukulele, with a base price of $1,400. Still probably higher priced than you're looking for, but something like $800 less than an Ohta San.
I think that’s also out of my range too, I’m kind of cheap and thought maybe some other mass producers would have a dreadnought model. Guess it’s not that common a body shape after all. Thank you for alternative.

Try KM Ukuleles. Kevin Mulcock in Wales makes dreadnought-shaped ukuleles. He's a great guy and easy to talk to. Great reputation as well.

km-ukuleles.com

Baz reviewed one of his concert dreadnoughts a while ago and had high praise for it. I have a walnut soprano, that I have in temporary custody, that is excellent! (Though I am not a soprano player, it's fun to take it out and put it through its paces.)

I’m glad you got 1 of the KMs. I did went on to check the Baz review. it looked splendid and seems reasonably priced too. Does he ship overseas?

I've been seeing a dreadnaught (cutaway) shaped uke on eBay, but I wonder if you'll think it's good enough. It's a Keith Urban that he advertised a while ago (he wasn't schooled well enough and said it's tuned just like a guitar, NOT).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keith-Urba...113999?hash=item2157a15e4f:g:GoQAAOSwp01cqKSc

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I think Kanilea concert ukes are indeed associated with terms like pear-shaped, dreadnought or Ditson.

Last edited:
I've been seeing a dreadnaught (cutaway) shaped uke on eBay, but I wonder if you'll think it's good enough. It's a Keith Urban that he advertised a while ago (he wasn't schooled well enough and said it's tuned just like a guitar, NOT).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Keith-Urba...113999?hash=item2157a15e4f:g:GoQAAOSwp01cqKSc

Thanks for the link! I do like the shape but it’s a tenor and has a cutaway. I really kind of liking a symmetric shape for the bell, pear or dreadnought.

I think Kanilea concert ukes are indeed associated with terms like pear-shaped, dreadnought or Dotson.
Yea, they does. They are kind of my alternative choice although it’s not as bell like as the Ohta san. But again, I do need to save up, a kanile’a is not cheap either!

WAIT. The Ohta San is worth waiting for.
You kind of read my mind! That nagging feeling of getting the real deal, the ultimate bell uke to lay my hands on.

The Ohta San seems to be out of stock at the Ukulele Site/HMS. Maybe you can't get one at the moment even if you have the US$2395 purchase price.
Looking at the rest of the range at HMS, its hard to find a uke that is not good value for its price range, you could pick which ever one fits your budget and have a good chance of getting a nice uke. Personally I would go for a Kala/Pono if the budget is low and toss a coin between a Kamaka and Kanilea if had a bit more money. If I was close to having the $2395, I would save the rest and wait until the deluxe model comes back into stock.
Does Kamaka sell ukes with little defects for less direct from the factory?

Which is a nice thing that it’s out of stock, for my case. Can’t afford it either. I won’t mind a ding and scratches here at all for an used model. Thanks for your thoughtful suggestion. I do, in fact have a soft spot for a long neck kamaka pineapple, especially now that I just sold my pineapple uke two weeks ago. Missed that bassy voice.

There was Ohta San on Reverb. Also, a while back a used one came up for sale.
Well, I think getting an Ohta san is really what’s in my head. So I’m going set a fund jar at the counter tonight. A buck or two everyday should get me my own Ohta San in about.. say 4 years. :eek:

I don’t think I should really be giving advice. I just know that when I try to substitute I am nagged by a dissatisfaction. Unless I play the ukulele i am lusting after and discover I actually don’t like it, which has happened on more than one occasion.

Here is a concert Ohta San on Reverb:
https://reverb.com/item/11631141-kamaka-hb-2d-concert-bell-ohta-san-2017-gloss-koa

You are right on this, at least in my case and thanks for your thoughts. Will definitely leads to more angsts if I went on to get the substitute ukes instead. And likely to fuel more UAS attacks. Meanwhile, I will practice more on my martins and they are amazing too!

By the way, fund jar for Ohta San is up and has 2 bucks already!

Top Bottom