Banjo conversion

Ukecaster

Reaction score
We were given an old 4-string tenor banjo by an elderly neighbor, it originally had steel strings, but no strings on it now. pretty funky, lots of signatures on the skin, Princess brand. I've had it here for a couple of years, but never set it up to play. Could I convert it to a banjolele, using nylon banjolele strings, would that work? If so, how to restring? Do you tie knots and place them in the slots, or need strings with loops on the end?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

No problem. I would just use regular ukulele strings, measure the scale length and use the appropriate size strings. Just knot the ends well so they won't slip through the slots in the tailpiece.

Last edited:
Jake Wildwood has probably seen and worked on many more instruments than many of us will ever see. He also has a great knowledge of old vintage instruments. I would certainly ask him for his thoughts and opinion. He may have some great tips and things to try.

jakewildwood@gmail.com

Last edited:
I don't see any need to convert...as far as I can tell, it already is a banjo uke.
What is the scale length and nut width?

It looks like somebody along the line fitted it with a 5 string tailpiece... but it's OK to use that. I'd tie loops in the nylon string ends and hang them on there.

Last edited:
I was given an old tenor banjo in a box in about fifty pieces. I managed to clean it , got a new skin and bridge and reassemble it. Since Chicago tuning on a tenor banjo and baritone uke are the same, I put some standard baritone strings on it and now I guess you can call it a baritone banjolele. It plays pretty well.

I don't see any need to convert...as far as I can tell, it already is a banjo uke.
What is the scale length and nut width?

It looks like somebody along the line fitted it with a 5 string tailpiece... but it's OK to use that. I'd tie loops in the nylon string ends and hang them on there.

There's no bridge on there now, I'm ordering one, many of them seem to be pre-slotted. It looks like the scale is 14" to where the middle of the old bridge was. Nut is 31.5 mm, way skinnier than any uke I've ever seen.

It does look like a banjo uke. For a brief while I had one with that tailpiece. I knotted the strings and slipped them in the slots in between and it worked well.

Yes, it looks like a banjo uke with a banjo tailpiece. If you look at the tailpiece photo it looks like it only had 4 strings on it. I don't see a place to attach a 5th string as a banjo
You could always knot a bead at the end of the string and put them between the slots as an option to tying down.
Have fun

I was given an old tenor banjo in a box in about fifty pieces. I managed to clean it , got a new skin and bridge and reassemble it. Since Chicago tuning on a tenor banjo and baritone uke are the same, I put some standard baritone strings on it and now I guess you can call it a baritone banjolele. It plays pretty well.

I've got one like that too, very fun.

There's no bridge on there now, I'm ordering one, many of them seem to be pre-slotted. It looks like the scale is 14" to where the middle of the old bridge was. Nut is 31.5 mm, way skinnier than any uke I've ever seen.

Yeah, with a scale that short I'd say it's a uke.. even with the 31mm nut.

I'm pretty sure it was made by Slingerland in the late 20s to early 30s.

For comparison, the 17 fret "short scale" tenor banjos had scales at around 20". 19 fretters were up around 22".

What is the diameter of the pot?

To place a new bridge, measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double that distance. Then slant the bridge as needed to dial in the intonation. Banjo bridges come pre-slotted.

Last edited:

I've had one strung with the same set of nylguts for going on 15 years :D I cobbled the strings from a 5 string banjo set, tuned it reentrant Bb tuning. It's a blast to play but wicked loud.

Yeah, with a scale that short I'd say it's a uke.. even with the 31mm nut.

I'm pretty sure it was made by Slingerland in the late 20s to early 30s.

For comparison, the 17 fret "short scale" tenor banjos had scales at around 20". 19 fretters were up around 22".

What is the diameter of the pot?

To place a new bridge, measure from the nut to the 12th fret and double that distance. Then slant the bridge as needed to dial in the intonation. Banjo bridges come pre-slotted.

Good info, thanks! The wooden body diameter is 8". I plan to try a set of concert Nylguts on it.

Good info, thanks! The wooden body diameter is 8". I plan to try a set of concert Nylguts on it.

No question then... it's a banjo uke by design.
The only other type of early banjo that comes close to that scale length was a rare creation they called a "tango banjo" which was basically a 4 string mandolin. But they typically had larger pots 10" or larger, and a flared and cantilevered fretboard that extended over the skin head. They were quickly superseded by tenors.

Nice gift! Congratulations!

If the skin head has no tears in it, you can best clean it with an artist's pencil eraser and some elbow grease. Don't get it wet.. it'll stretch.

If the head is torn, it will need replacement. I've got a few spares that I'll let go cheaply... I probably have a few bridges laying around, for that matter. Let me know.. I can send one off to you.

Last edited:
Finally strung this one up, with new Ping tuners. I got a couple of bridges on ebay, they are 5/8" high, I think I need a 1/2" height bridge instead, as the action at the 12th fret is way high, about 5mm. I think that if I use a 1/2" height bridge instead, the action at 12th would come down to about 3.4 mm, and lower if I sand it a bit. Probably need to buy a 1/2" high bridge, as don't think I can sand 1/8" off the bottom of this one. Also not sure why these come with 6 string slots in the saddle, probably want to cut my own slots there to increase the string spread at the saddle too. What little I can play it, it has a cool plinky sound with Nyltech concert strings. I still have some work to do here.

5.jpg
20190509_114513.jpg
20190509_114556.jpg
20190509_114640.jpg
20190509_114700.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom