I'm going to Kauai....ooohh new uke will be my carry on.

gheepn

Reaction score
This tread is something i have been meaning to do for a while.

Anyone have tips or tricks for the island of Kauai... what i mean is

where to see live music?

where to buy a new uke. (in need of a tenor)

where to buy gifts for friends.

Also does UU have an actual office there or is it just a house address, I would like to bring something from NC to give to our host, and I dont want to show up on someone's door step.

where to see live music?

Also does UU have an actual office there or is it just a house address, I would like to bring something from NC to give to our host, and I dont want to show up on someone's door step.

I just got back from Kauai. To see live music, check out UU's own Aldrine and Rayan at the Waipouli Beach Resort in Kapa'a. They perform on Thursday night but doublecheck they will be on the Thursday you are there.

To buy a uke...I went to four ukulele shops in Kauai...Larry's Music in Kapa'a, Kauai Music and Sound in Kapa'a, Ukulele Store in Koloa, and Scotty's in Kalaheo. It depends on what you are looking for. If you want a high end ukulele, the selection at Larry's and Scotty's were the best. If you want a Kamoa or mid range ukulele, Ukulele Store wasn't bad though it is small and easy to miss. I wan't too impressed with the selection at Kauai Music but if I recall they had a lot of Kala instruments. I'd say go with Larry's or Scotty's. Kauai is easy to drive around, and if you rent a car, you can hit both. If you are staying in Princeville though, Kalaheo would be a long drive. If you are in Poipu, they are both pretty easy to get to.

Don't forget to get a Pukadog (mmm, pineapple relish), a Duane's Ono local girl hamburger and a frozen mai tai at Keoki's for me while you are there. :)

Happy ukeing...

where to see live music?

So Jealous... Hopefully early next year. Good luck, Have Fun...

For live music, definitely try to catch Aldrine and Ryan! Unfortunately, I discovered UU about a week after leaving Kaua'i. Shaka Tacos in Kapa'a is a fun spot for music. Damn good Mexican food, too. Pretty much all of the touristy resorts will have some kind of music. On a good day, you might catch some locals jamming on Kealia Beach.

For uke-buying, Larry's is awesome. Really nice people, and a great selection. Their flagship store is in Kapa'a, and they have a small store in Koloa too. Last time I was on the island, the Koloa store had literally just opened (the counter was still a cardboard box). WickedWahine's post suggests that they changed the Koloa store to specialize in the lower-end instruments sometime since. That same week, Bounty Music in Kapa'a (where I bought my Kamaka) became Kaua'i Music and Sound, and I'm guessing they're still trying to make the transition and acquire some new brands.
Never been to Scotty's (it was closed literally every time I passed it), but I've heard good things.
There's a store in the shopping center in Hanalei that carries Mele, as well.

Most of the good gift-shopping is in Koloa, Kapa'a (ughghghggh traffic), and Hanalei. There are touristy souvenir shops all over the island, but they all sell the same stuff. More fun to buy stuff made on the island.

I second the puka dog recommendation. Expensive, but soooooo worth it. Also, Jojo's Shave Ice in Waimea, and Tomkat's Grill in Koloa. For super-cheap eats, Aldrine is right: Sueoka's snack shop in Koloa is the best.

Shoot the admins a PM or email to find out how to meet up with them. I think the "office" is Ryan's house. ;)

Have a great time on your trip! :D

Yeah, "hole dog" doesn't sound all that appealing. :rotfl:

But their website explains it better!

First of all Puka means Hole in Hawaiian….

With a special recipe we bake a bun-sized loaf of bread. We pierce a “puka” from one end and toast through most of the length of the bun. We then pour in any of our unique Hawaiian secret recipe relishes and sauces or standard condiments.

Finally, we slide in a perfectly grilled, premium Polish type sausage made from a proprietary combination of prime meats manufactured to the highest quality standard to ensure and preserve the unique flavor that is compatible with our 4 different Garlic Lemon Secret Sauce and 7 Tropical Relishes.

Thanks guys, puka dog does not have such a great name.

Mmm, be sure to get the Lilikoi (not sure how to spell that?) mustard and I like the pineapple relish. I bought a jar of each when I was there and that is what I'm making for dinner tonight! Yummy!

I'm SO jealous! My wife and I just got back from Kauai in February and want to go back ASAP. I too discovered UU after I got back, otherwise I would have loved to see Aldrine and Rayan. I bought my Pono at Scotty's, they were very nice and let me open all the boxes and pick out my favorite, even though my favorite turned out to be the first one I saw hanging on the wall. If you do go to Scotty's, check out Mark's Place in Lawai, by the post office. THE BEST plate lunch, the desserts are ono too. Be sure to have another Frozen Mai Tai for me and my wife too at Keoki's after you eat your Puka Dog. Try Koloa Fish Market for some really good Poke too. In the early part of the day you have to go to K-Mart and get some malasadas from the little kiosk out front. Oh, sorry, did you even ask about food?

food tips are welcome, Lovin the replies. The countdown is on, leaving in 13 hours.

Have a great time, this is the only island the wife and I haven't made it to yet, one of these days...

Regarding this item - what they don't have ABC Stores on Kauai???

As he ducks and runs from the room....:shaka::cheers::cool:

I forgot to mention, if you mean souvenir type trinkets, Walmart and Kmart are both really cheap compared to the ABC store. Both of them are in Lihue. ABC stores they have, but not crazy on every street corner like in Oahu.

There is also a Costco for buying bulk water and stuff as well.

You are so lucky. I would kill to be going back. I will be back in October but that isn't soon enough for me...

just so you know, the new uke doesnt have to be your carry on. it can be your "personal item"

Wow! excellent timing! My girlfriend just bought me plane tickets to Kauai for mid-August! I'll be in Poipu (right across the street from Lawai Beach)! Where can you find out if Aldrine & Ryan are playing at Waipouli? Great news about that personal item. I'm planning to order a Ko'Aloha and pop over to the factory to pick it up after the tour.

Last edited:
Wow! excellent timing! My girlfriend just bought me plane tickets to Kauai for mid-August! I'll be in Poipu (right across the street from Lawai Beach)! Where can you find out if Aldrine & Ryan are playing at Waipouli? Great news about that personal item. I'm planning to order a Ko'Aloha and pop over to the factory to pick it up after the tour.

the factory is on oahu, not kauai

the factory is on oahu, not kauai

hahaha! I know, I'll be taking a day trip to oahu (and probably another day trip to the Big Island) sometime during the week that i'm there. if only i could get more time off of work, i'd be there for a couple of months. there's so much to see! and so little time to explore all the islands. but i'm going to make the most of it (even if it hurts the wallet a little - or a lot)

I'm out!!! Thanks for all the info, I'm going to be a fat man when I return. At least I will be able to rest my uke on my belly. :shaka::smileybounce:

just so you know, the new uke doesnt have to be your carry on. it can be your "personal item"

I am headed to Kauai as well! I will be there July 11th-22nd.

So if I show up to the airport with my uke case and backpack. They will not charge me extra and I can carry both on?

I have flown with a backpack and my ukulele a few times - no problems. In fact, you usually get a smile and questions about in-flight entertainment.

I am headed to Kauai as well! I will be there July 11th-22nd.

So if I show up to the airport with my uke case and backpack. They will not charge me extra and I can carry both on?

I go to Kauai at least 2X per year to visit my mom. I'll be there from July 16th thru July 26th. Anyone else going to be there at this time?

I always hang out at Larry's Music w/ Sam (the owner). He's a great guy. Works w/ me on songs as well as jams for a few hours. Send me a PM if you're interested in hanging w/ us.

Most airlines will let you carry on a personal item, a carry-on, AND a uke.

Top Bottom