NUD (belated): Eddy Finn Travel Concert

Swiftsailor98

Reaction score
Extra b-day money and a few hours by myself led to a complete impulse buy. The local small uke/guitar shop usually has a decent selection of concerts and tenors on the wall ready to play.

Based on the availability and price point, I narrowed down my choice to the Amahi Classic Concert in Ash or the Eddy Finn Travel Concert (EF-TRV-C). I enjoyed the sound of both, but went with the Eddy Finn because it was different in form than my other two ukes—thin body and unique sound-hole.

The shop owner does limited setups on the spot, which contributed to the impulse buy—I knew I could walk out with my new joy. So, with the action set and strap buttons installed (and a matching Eddy Finn hard case) I was on my way.

The EF Travel Concert is a Spruce top (laminate) with Mahogany B/S (also laminate). The neck and headstock are Mahogany with a Rosewood fretboard, and unlike many of the pictures online, this one has a slotted bridge. It sounds pleasantly bright, as you would expect from a Spruce. In addition to the great portability, the thin travel body form factor will also let me play with dynamics. I’ve found that you can dramatically change the sound in how you hold it—resting your right arm on the top corner provides a nice damped warm sound, while pulling the uke away from you on a strap really opens up sound.

Similar to what you may experience with your third kid—increased parenting comfort level and willingness to experiment a little—I have no inhibitions in making my own adjustments to customize this uke. I’ve already continued the ‘set up’ with a little work on the fretboard, frets and fret edges with an extra fine foam sanding block and a fingernail file. I’m also in search of some black tuning knobs to replace the “mother of toilet bowl” knobs that come standard.

Two open questions:

Does anyone know if the new Ernie Ball ukulele strings can be used in a slotted bridge, or is the ball likely to get stuck?

Any thoughts on rigging a shoulder strap or backpack like straps on a hard case with only a carry handle?

I’ll post a few pics later.

There are a couple of older threads about a harness that goes on the case, and another one about putting D rings on the case. For some reason I can't post the URLs and the search on UU is worthless. But if you search "ukulele case harness", they come up in the search engine and you can come back to UU that way. I think you might get some ideas.

Anyway, you can go off in the rabbit hole, or you can do as someone suggested and just find a cheap book bag or backpack at goodwill that is big enough that the bout portion of your case will fit into and you are set. Even have pockets for your other gear. That is a good idea actually.

Last edited:
I use Sea To Summit self-adhesive lash tabs on my touring kayak. They have strong adhesive and provide a flexible attachments point for a shoulder strap. I’d give these a try on my case for travel.

I use Sea To Summit self-adhesive lash tabs on my touring kayak. They have strong adhesive and would provide a flexible attachment point for a shoulder strap. I’d give these a try on my case for travel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. For my next trip, I'm going to try a mesh swim bag with a shoulder strap that I found out in the garage. If that annoys me, I'm in for the Sea To Summit attachment point idea, because it doesn't require any drilling or intrusions into the case.

Thanks for the suggestions. For my next trip, I'm going to try a mesh swim bag with a shoulder strap that I found out in the garage. If that annoys me, I'm in for the Sea To Summit attachment point idea, because it doesn't require any drilling or intrusions into the case.
The mesh bag would be a simple fix. If you decide to go with the lash tabs, I get mine from ACK (Austin Canoe & Kayak).

Pictures, as promised.

Attachments

• EF-TRV-C - 1 (1).jpg
    EF-TRV-C - 1 (1).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 3
  • EF-TRV-C - 2 (1).jpg
    EF-TRV-C - 2 (1).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 9
  • EF-TRV-C - 3 (1).jpg
    EF-TRV-C - 3 (1).jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
  • EF-TRV-C - 4 (1).jpg
    EF-TRV-C - 4 (1).jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Any thoughts on rigging a shoulder strap or backpack like straps on a hard case with only a carry handle?

I’ll post a few pics later.

Every case should have two rings to hold a shoulder strap. Better still, it should have rings to hold straps for a backpack arrangement.

I've often thought of adding those rings, and if I did, I would bolt them right through the case, not just screwed in. I would have a flathead screw inside with a large fender washer and fabric covering it.

Eddy Finn has a nice assortment of "different" ukes. I had one of their cigar box ukes, and now I have a round Tiki camp uke.

Top Bottom