NUD - KoAloha Special Issue LN Soprano

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I was naughty, and took a stroll through Reverb last week. I saw this little sweetie and couldn't help myself. Concert scale is my happy place, but I'm always looking for something more portable for travel. I love my KoAloha concert, so this unique long neck soprano seemed like it might fit in with my ukulele family quite nicely.

According to the seller it's a 2015 special issue cedar top, koa back & sides, mango fret board. I'm trying to contact KoAloha to confirm it's pedigree. It does have a KoAloha special issue label. It was listed in very good condition, and I can't find any flaws. I have heard tales of "sound hole sniffing" but have never engaged in that practice myself ......until now. The cedar aroma emanating from this ukulele is intoxicating. I'm still getting used to the "soprano sound" with the bark & jangle, and I'll experiment with strings to see what I like. Maybe Worth Clears? The uke came with a nice Crossrock case.

Attachments

• DSCF1748.jpg
    DSCF1748.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1749.jpg
    DSCF1749.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF1750.jpg
    DSCF1750.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF1759.jpg
    DSCF1759.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Very cool- enjoy! Fluorocarbons might well be a good choice; I use them on my long neck Mya-Moe soprano.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new addition and sometimes you know you just have to take it home when that connection meets. Personally I would try some worth brown to mellow the bark but hey, it’s your uke and choice. :)

Congrats... Some thought Koaloha used Worth clear. When talking to Koaloha, they say "fishing line" and will cut and send you a set (it was $8 or $10). I assume this means that they have large spools of the line that they use at their factory instead of opening individual packets of strings from a manufacturer. (...it took a few weeks to receive it)

Congrats... Some thought Koaloha used Worth clear. When talking to Koaloha, they say "fishing line" and will cut and send you a set (it was $8 or $10). I assume this means that they have large spools of the line that they use at their factory instead of opening individual packets of strings from a manufacturer. (...it took a few weeks to receive it)
Yeah, I think you may be right. The Worth Clear package says "Endorsed by KoAloha" in the corner. Not sure if that means anything. I thought about Worth Brown or maybe Oasis warm.

I know this is sacrilege (I've already done this with my 2006 koala concert), but I'll probably switch out the friction tuners to Gotoh UPTs.

Yeah, I think you may be right. The Worth Clear package says "Endorsed by KoAloha" in the corner. Not sure if that means anything. I thought about Worth Brown or maybe Oasis warm.

I know this is sacrilege (I've already done this with my 2006 koala concert), but I'll probably switch out the friction tuners to Gotoh UPTs.

Think twice before adding a MiSi pickup.

Wow, it is gorgeous!

I have Living Waters on my sapele Opio soprano , and love the sound.

When I got my Spruce top sporanissimo I noticed a delicious aroma emanating after playing it so I became a sniffer for that uke. I have never heard of a mango fretboard. Let me know how that sounds and, Congratulations on the new member of your family.

When I got my Spruce top sporanissimo I noticed a delicious aroma emanating after playing it so I became a sniffer for that uke. I have never heard of a mango fretboard. Let me know how that sounds and, Congratulations on the new member of your family.
It's a really interesting fretboard. My only gripe is that the fret markers blend in a little too much.

Attachments

• DSCF1756.jpg
    DSCF1756.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 46
It's a really interesting fretboard. My only gripe is that the fret markers blend in a little too much.

First of all WOW, WOW, WOW. That is absolutely gorgeous, if I had of seen that I would have bought it too, congratulations. I am a diehard sound hole sniffer, got 2 cedar and 2 redwood that smell as good as they sound:p

Regarding the fretboard markers, use the stick on dots. I have done so in the past with good results. I believe elderly sells them as well as Amazon and EBay.

Thanks Dave. I have used the stick on markers on my Islander camping uke, and they worked well. I got them on Amazon, but I'll look on Elderly since I may be ordering some other stuff from them. Have you ever taken them off? Do they leave an adhesive residue? The friction tuners are already driving me bonkers, so UPT tuners will be ordered shortly, as well as Waverly strap buttons, and some string experimentation.

Thanks Dave. I have used the stick on markers on my Islander camping uke, and they worked well. I got them on Amazon, but I'll look on Elderly since I may be ordering some other stuff from them. Have you ever taken them off? Do they leave an adhesive residue? The friction tuners are already driving me bonkers, so UPT tuners will be ordered shortly, as well as Waverly strap buttons, and some string experimentation.

Yes I have removed them and no residue was left behind. Make sure the area on the fretboard is free from oils, some people myself included apply oil to the fretboard. Just a damp cloth with even a dash of dish soap will clean the fretboard well enough to get the dots to stick.

Love the KoAloha logo-ed carved bridge. Really unique on some of their ukuleles. Lovely looking. Enjoy the long neck.

I like the Gotoh UPTs much better than friction or Peghed tuners. But others love those. To each his/her own preferences. The Gotoh tuners are very smooth and easy to adjust if their holds loosen.

Congratulations! I try to restrict my browsing with ukuleles, so far I'm down to only once or twice a day... :)

I heard back from KoAloha on my new ukulele's pedigree. I had most of the info right. The top is Port Orford cedar. The body, headstock, bridge, and the fretboard are all koa. The fretboard isn't mango as the reverb listing stated. Only the fret markers are mango. It was listed as 2015 on Reverb, but didn't have a date stamp inside. KoAloha informed me that they don't state stamp their special issue ukuleles since they are a one off.

New GoToh UPT tuners installed & trying out the Worth Brown strings. They have mellowed it out a little. I'll see if I like them long term or want to try something else. Before & after pictures of the tuners. UPT first pic, old KoAloha friction tuners second pic. I think the new ones look great & so much easier to use.

Attachments

• DSCF1750.jpg
    DSCF1750.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCF1778.jpg
    DSCF1778.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
New GoToh UPT tuners installed & trying out the Worth Brown strings. They have mellowed it out a little. I'll see if I like them long term or want to try something else. Before & after pictures of the tuners. UPT first pic, old KoAloha friction tuners second pic. I think the new ones look great & so much easier to use.

Nice installation.

Nice installation.
I can't claim the work.....it was done at my local acoustic guitar shop. Local shop, run by local people. It's been one of the Go-To places for acoustic guitars & ukes in Salt Lake City for a long time. They are bringing in more mid-range ukes lately. They even have a couple Klos ukuleles at the moment. But then, they are made in Utah.

Top Bottom