The best hard case?

I'm a big fan of "Gator" cases, but they ain't cheap.

John Colter

I have a couple of gator cases as well and they are nicely made. They are not as cheap as some, but there are some that are a fair amount more as well. I find them to be a decent middle ground.

Calton makes the "best" case. Short of that, Ameritage is probably the best production case.

All depends what you want. You'll probably get some more focused answers if you can narrow down your question. Protection? Looks? Weight? Budget?

These aren't obscenely expensive and the one I bought is really hard (but heavy). Does have that nasty outta China chemical smell in it, but it does air out.
https://www.glarrymusic.com/cases-c-15.html
I guess it would also matter if you really want a hard hard case or if one of the foam sides cases would do. I have some that do just fine in my moped basket. I'd never carry a gig bag on my bike.
If I was on a plane or something I'd definitely want the really hard one.
I guess it depends on how much you love your uke.

I havec a a Uke Crazy hard case.

Its very robust and superbly lined

Another vote for Crossrock

I have Crossrock ABS 800s for Concert and Tenor and Fiberglass 1000 for Baritone.

They both provide quite comfortable levels of protection. I'm not afraid to toss them into the car and won't be afraid to toss them in an airplane overhead bin next time I fly.

The 800s have a nicely textured surface that seems to wear well. The 1000 has a glossy and easily scratched surface - the ukulele inside seems safe, but the case looks reliced after only a couple of outings. Good excuse to add a few stickers.

The list prices are very expensive (my baritone case lists for more than the baritone ukulele that's currently inside it), but actual prices fluctuate significantly, especially if you aren't picky about colour.

I managed to get the CrossRock 1000 baritone case for less than half the list price in a good colour before I even had the bari. The case has some optional body padding to help with body size variations, so it can fit a range of bodies including both the bari I ended up with and my slightly larger typical travel companion.

--Rob

I am a fan of the Crossrock Fiberglass and the Oahu fiberglass. They are very pricey, but strong cases, not horiffically heavy. I travel with my nicer ukes in them frequently, and they are worth the $. I managed to get a good deal on the Crossrocks on Reverb, about half off. Got an Oahu via HMS. I'd love to get another, but I haven't seem them in stock there for awhile. The crossrocks come with some extra padding you can remove to help fit just about any size. The storage compartment for each is a decent size (far better than the tiny compartment in my Kala ABS case). I would definitely recommend against the Kala ABS case. I sent my first one back because it wouldnt latch well (latch was bent), the storage compartment cover was torn off, and the lining inside wasn't glued down and over half of it was lifted up. I got a replacement Kala, which I did keep, but it had a similar issue with a latch. It's almost impossible to latch one of the 3 latches. I am tempted to drill it out an re-rivet a new latch in. The upside of the Kala is it was cheap. The Kala Elite "traditional" style hard case is nice. I had one with a Kala Elite I have since sold. Kind of wishing that was the case I bought for my Kala Tenor now instead of the Kala ABS case. Nice solid case with a pretty green interior. I would suspect the other non-ABS Kala cases are similar to it and of good quality.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the Crossrock Fiberglass and the Oahu fiberglass. They are very pricey, but strong cases, not horiffically heavy. I travel with my nicer ukes in them frequently, and they are worth the $. I managed to get a good deal on the Crossrocks on Reverb, about half off. Got an Oahu via HMS. I'd love to get another, but I haven't seem them in stock there for awhile. The crossrocks come with some extra padding you can remove to help fit just about any size. The storage compartment for each is a decent size (far better than the tiny compartment in my Kala ABS case). I would definitely recommend against the Kalas. I sent my first one back because it wouldnt latch well (latch was bent), the storage compartment cover was torn off, and the lining inside wasn't glued down and over half of it was lifted up. I got a replacement Kala, which I did keep, but it had a similar issue with a latch. It's almost impossible to latch one of the 3 latches. I am tempted to drill it out an re-rivet a new latch in. The upside of the Kala is it was cheap. The Kala Elite "traditional" style hard case is nice. I had one with a Kala Elite I have since sold. Kind of wishing that was the case I bought for my Kala Tenor now instead of the Kala ABS case.

I recently bought a Kala "Aligator" tenor hard case from Mim. It's solid, well-made and as good as the Kala Elite case that came with my Kala Elite tenor. I have not traveled with either yet.

I do find that you sometimes have to make sure the lids are seated properly on all of my hardcases with none of the longer "haired" material hanging over the edge. For the latches to close correctly.

I prefer cases with at least three latches on them. FWIW: Many years ago I asked an ex rep for a luggage maker why they had three latches on their fiberglass suitcases. He told that almost all of the previous mishaps with their cases was from one latch not being properly secured and the second one being accidentally snagged or rubbed during handling, causing the contents to spill. Adding the third latch virtually eliminated the incidents and made the cases retain their shapes better.

Some of the case latches open way too easily.

I have a great soprano case that is rectangular like guitar and bass cases. I got it from a shop or person out of Texas about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any like it now days. Don't use it much as I hand carry my ukuleles even the Martins, or securely tucked into my rolling back pack with e-note pads stands and such. I've seen a few "case dings" from contact with latches when removing them. A super solid case would only be necessary when checking it in to luggage during travel.
On a related note I have a double gig bag for 2 Tenors, I have none now. Zips up either side, plush inside, multiple loops for shoulder straps or just to hang vertically. I should send it on.
Dave

I have a great soprano case that is rectangular like guitar and bass cases. I got it from a shop or person out of Texas about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any like it now days. Don't use it much as I hand carry my ukuleles even the Martins, or securely tucked into my rolling back pack with e-note pads stands and such. I've seen a few "case dings" from contact with latches when removing them. A super solid case would only be necessary when checking it in to luggage during travel.
On a related note I have a double gig bag for 2 Tenors, I have none now. Zips up either side, plush inside, multiple loops for shoulder straps or just to hang vertically. I should send it on.
Dave

Maybe like one of these?
https://takumiukulele.com/product/fremont-cases/

I think any name-brand hard case will protect your uke. If you think it might fall down a flight of stairs or be run over by a small car, that's a different story.

When I get an expensive (for me) uke, I tend to look for a better case. I like those beautiful Crossrock fiberglass cases, but the handle isn't ideal. The other good brand is Amer... (something). I got one of them ($250) free with a uke. I like Crossrock cases in general, although closing them can take some effort to get the aluminum trim to line up. I have 53 (I think) ukes, and I think over forty are in hard cases. I probably have every name brand case available, and I've never been dissatisfied with any of them.

I prefer three clasps to two, and I like having at least a strap, if not a backpack strap.

If you look at the cost of the high end, you can probably find a local fabricator who will make a custom case for a similar price. Look up "Flight Case" in your local area and you are likely to find several companies that will supply a custom or pre-made case for your uke.

A local player (pro) had a custom fiberglass case made, and it cost more than his Collings tenor.

The Oahu cases offered by HMS are very nice too. The arch top is a great feature, providing more strength and protection.
Nice crushed velvet material inside too, of course it comes in plain black too.

View attachment 116878
View attachment 116879

I have one Fibreglass Tenor sized case the I use for my tenors when weight is an issue. When it’s not I use an Ameritage. My Hoffmann Uke came with cases made by the same company that makes Ameritage cases (GWW). I would never trust a case made out of ABS. The Oahu cases that are now distributed by HMS look good IMO. I think that they were the ones that Mya-Moe used to supply with their Ukes.

Top Bottom