PDA

View Full Version : What is your most FUN uke?

Ukecaster
04-11-2019, 05:04 AM
What is your most FUN uke? The one that always satisfies, and puts a smile on your face.

For me, it's a concert Flea, with wooden fretboard. It's loud, easy playing and always gives up a good sound, whether strumming softly, fingerpicking, or soprano style heavier strumming on old timey favorites.

I have other more expensive ukes, but they seem to be outstanding, can't-get-enough-great one day, but the next day, they might just be OK. The Flea always sounds and plays the same, and that's why it's my most FUN uke. How about you?

UkingViking
04-11-2019, 05:32 AM
When i get around to stringing my Fluke back to high G, that might take the lead.
But for now it must be my Ohana long neck soprano.
It is smallish, loud and easy to pick up and play.

Patrick Madsen
04-11-2019, 05:36 AM
My George Thomas Contra Baritone and Chennell arch top baritone are my two favorites at the moment.

Swamp Yankee
04-11-2019, 05:57 AM
The one that always leaves me grinning is my 1920s Lyon & Healey 17 fret tenor banjo (tuned Bb reentrant with Nylguts)
It's a hoot to play but it drives my wife out of the room :D

Osprey
04-11-2019, 06:05 AM
My George Thomas Contra Baritone and Chennell arch top baritone are my two favorites at the moment.

I really like those Baritones, I have been really jonesing for a channel arch top for years.

kerneltime
04-11-2019, 08:20 AM
My fluke! Easy to travel with, it can stand on its own. The solid spruce top tenor that I have sounds really really good and I don’t feel that I am compromising when traveling. Trying to see if I can get a fluke that is customized for me (redwood top, larger frets and maybe a radius fret board with a rounder neck)

janeray1940
04-11-2019, 08:20 AM
My Kamaka HP-1 pineapple. It practically plays itself, it's so comfortable and easy. It's in the shop right now and I'm having total separation anxiety, but this was a good reminder about how much FUN it's going to be to get it back soon :)

DownUpDave
04-11-2019, 08:30 AM
My fluke! Easy to travel with, it can stand on its own. The solid spruce top tenor that I have sounds really really good and I don’t feel that I am compromising when traveling. Trying to see if I can get a fluke that is customized for me (redwood top, larger frets and maybe a radius fret board with a rounder neck)

If it helps to order two at the same time I will take one as well......seriously. PM me if you want to talk about it.

To answer the question at hand my Fred Shields walnut super soprano pineapple with radiused fretboard strung low G. Small enough to travel well, built well enough to be stable (walnut is not delicate like cedar) and custom hand made by Fred so it sounds real good. It accompanied me on a 640 km cycling trip last year.

kerneltime
04-11-2019, 08:52 AM
If it helps to order two at the same time I will take one as well......seriously. PM me if you want to talk about it.

To answer the question at hand my Fred Shields walnut super soprano pineapple with radiused fretboard strung low G. Small enough to travel well, built well enough to be stable (walnut is not delicate like cedar) and custom hand made by Fred so it sounds real good. It accompanied me on a 640 km cycling trip last year.

that sounds like a lot of fun!
pm sent!

SoloRule
04-11-2019, 09:03 AM

My favourite fun uke ! Just like the credit card commercial
“Don’t leave home without it. “

shanmoon
04-11-2019, 10:04 AM
That's a hard question, 'cause I love all my ukes.... but I think I would have to say my Moon Bird concert. Every time I hear it and look down and see the moon phase fretboard I just smile and think "this uke was meant for me!"

kohanmike
04-11-2019, 11:11 AM
It's neck and neck between my Kala cedar top and Lanikai Thinline bocote (butterfly wood).

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Kala cedar mine.jpg

http://www.kohanmike.com/uploads/Lanikai Thinline Bocote 800.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

shanmoon
04-11-2019, 12:39 PM
It's neck and neck between my Kala cedar top and Lanikai Thinline bocote (butterfly wood).

How does the Lanikai sound comapred to the Kala? I'm not famliar with bocote wood. I ask because one of my neighbors kids wants a ukulele and his parent asked me about a Lanikai bocote, and I had to confess my ignorance of what the bocote would sound like. I recommended they drive to Mims and try ukes there (a couple of hours from us).

RafterGirl
04-11-2019, 01:26 PM
Keep us posted. A Flea with a rounder, but not too thick neck would make one a lot more appealing to me.

This is hard choice, as I love all my "ukulele children" for different reasons. My Moon Bird sounds so sweet, but my KoAloha is my first love.

Joyful Uke
04-11-2019, 02:34 PM
Keep us posted. A Flea with a rounder, but not too thick neck would make one a lot more appealing to me.

This is hard choice, as I love all my "ukulele children" for different reasons. My Moon Bird sounds so sweet, but my KoAloha is my first love.

I was just thinking the other day that it's too bad that Flea doesn't have other options for a neck. The neck is too thick for me, but otherwise, I would love them.

Slade
04-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Not my best sounding but the one that makes me smile the most is my TyDe Tenor Long Neck. It was built out of reclaimed Walnut and Cedar that used to be part of a pier and a boat house. It has a banjo—ee sound and a whole lot of fun to play.

VanillaThunder
04-11-2019, 03:21 PM
My favorite uke is my AM-T LoPrinzi.

SteveZ
04-11-2019, 03:32 PM
The Lanikai 6-string. It seems to always be the first one I grab when I want to relax.

actadh
04-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Most fun is my 1930's sopranino.

glennerd
04-11-2019, 05:06 PM
My Ohana SK-38 is so light weight and punchy. A close second and a different kind of fun is my Sopranino SK-21M - it's tiny and I can stretch across frets with ease, but it doesn't get played nearly as much.

kohanmike
04-11-2019, 06:54 PM
How does the Lanikai sound comapred to the Kala? I'm not famliar with bocote wood. I ask because one of my neighbors kids wants a ukulele and his parent asked me about a Lanikai bocote, and I had to confess my ignorance of what the bocote would sound like. I recommended they drive to Mims and try ukes there (a couple of hours from us).

I don't know if I can tell anything about the sound by the type of wood, I think the build makes more of a difference. When I first got the Kala about 5 years ago (by recommendation from Mim), I found that it has much better projection and sustain than any of my under $200 ukes I had at the time (16). When I got the Lanikai late last year, it also has great projection and sustain, especially for such a shallow body, and has a bowed back. I bought it for the beautiful figuring of the wood and hoped it sounded as good as the Kala Thinline travel ukes members of my group have, it absolutely does.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Croaky Keith
04-11-2019, 10:31 PM
What is your most FUN uke?
Seems there are two different thoughts going on here, actual fun uke, & fun/pleasing to play uke.

I guess my most fun uke is my Ohana solid mahogany tenor neck soprano, it is so different to look at, whilst having such a lovely sound, & lots of room on the fretboard.

Whilst my KoAloha Opio solid acacia long neck concert is my most pleasing to play.

Ocassionally I'll plug in my electric steel string tenor & play it through some effects, so I guess that's a fun uke too.

TopDog
04-11-2019, 11:20 PM
I have endless fun on my luthier built sopranino. Often while watching some dross on tv, just noodling away figuring out chord patterns for a song I have a vague idea of learning sometime!

Jerryc41
04-12-2019, 12:25 AM
What is your most FUN uke? The one that always satisfies, and puts a smile on your face.

For me, it's a concert Flea, with wooden fretboard. It's loud, easy playing and always gives up a good sound, whether strumming softly, fingerpicking, or soprano style heavier strumming on old timey favorites.

I have other more expensive ukes, but they seem to be outstanding, can't-get-enough-great one day, but the next day, they might just be OK. The Flea always sounds and plays the same, and that's why it's my most FUN uke. How about you?

Luckily for me, all of them are the most fun. :D

CPG
04-12-2019, 03:26 AM
Usually, it's whichever one I got most recently.

70sSanO
04-12-2019, 06:41 AM
Three to four years ago I stopped into Moze Guitars in La Mesa (down by San Diego). Moze has been selling Fred Shields ukuleles for years and I always check out Fred’s offerings. This time I saw something pretty odd, a three string soprano ukulele. Whether purists consider it a uke or not, Fred does so that is good enough for me.

Once you get over the initial adjustment of not having a g string for some chords it becomes about the easiest instrument to play... as in the first time you play an E chord without a g string. I have had Fred make a few more (concert and tenor). He uses a different neck profile than his standard ukulele.

It is perfect for those no brainer times when I just don’t want to work at playing.

John

Ukecaster
04-18-2019, 12:27 PM
Here's my funnest one. .never seems to disappoint...concert Flea. Resting comfortably after a vigorous workout.

Gmontema
05-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Right now, I think it is my KoAloha pineapple. I enjoy playing all of my ukes but that is one that literally screams to be played and when played. It’s almost obnoxious how loud it sounds in my quiet room and in uke club. It makes me feel like mike Meyers in Wayne’s World when he picks up the electric guitar. My Iriguchi is a close second and may be #1 next month. My Kamaka “beater” is out of commission right now for repairs with the luthier.

Jerryc41
05-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Come on! By definition, ukuleles are fun. I have fun playing all of them, large or small, wooden or composit, regular, resonator, or banjo uke.

If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't be involved.

Astein2006
05-19-2019, 05:56 PM
My Ohana SK-38 is so light weight and punchy. A close second and a different kind of fun is my Sopranino SK-21M - it's tiny and I can stretch across frets with ease, but it doesn't get played nearly as much.

I’ve been agonizing over those two models. About which one to get. Currently I own the standard SK-21 but I am really curious about the “premium mahogany” the sk-38 and sk21m are made out of. Do you happen to know how the premium mahogany compares to their standard mahogany?

maki66
05-20-2019, 02:41 AM
My concert Fluke, bought used from a forum member here, it remains a joy.
It hangs next to the sofa, always.

I do also really enjoy my Kmise tenor tuned to gBDE with custom Living Waters strings.
Its a more comfortable key to sing in.

Almost all of my many ukuleles are very modestly priced.

CPG
05-21-2019, 06:04 AM
Digging my Bruko Mahogany Cedar top soprano thee days. It's probably not my "best" uke, but I just can't seem to put it down. It's such a fun, cool little instrument and there is something so addicting about it. I don't even always like the Bruko sound (though I do always love mine), but there is something special about them and I could easily get BAS (Bruko Acquisition Syndrome).

YogiTom
05-21-2019, 07:43 AM
For me, it is actually my wife’s Rebel Double Creme concert. It really feels nice to hold and strum, and the resonance carries through my body when playing. Add to that a nice wide neck and clean build, and it’s hard to ask for more.

I’ve got a soprano Moon Bird and my own Rebel dessert coming soon, and hopefully one of those will replace the above for me. I’m sure my wife would love her uke back. :rolleyes:

RafterGirl
05-21-2019, 09:18 AM
I’ve got to say that my recently acquired Blackbird Clara is a lot of fun. Great sound, good volume, and no worries as a grab & go ukulele.

Kyle23
05-21-2019, 09:21 AM
I'd have to say my KoAloha KCM-00 is my most fun. I like my Kanilea Tenor the most and it is what I take the most seriously, but I seem to have fun just noodling around on the KoAloha. They are fun little instruments with a big sound, plus something is just cute about the sound hole.

Jhud
05-22-2019, 06:33 AM
I’d say it’s my recently acquired The Rebel Double Cream super concert. It ticks all the boxes for me in terms of sound, looks, playability, build quality and downright “ fun ability” . It makes me smile every time I pick it up .

keenonuke
05-22-2019, 06:36 AM
For me it's the uke we call "Baby," a Kala Travel Soprano. I can pick it up, hold it with no effort and strum, strum, strum. Plus carrying it with it's gig bag is effortless. :-)

uku-q
05-22-2019, 09:23 AM
KoAloha tenor is the most fun, but not the one I play the most