New plucker string-uke compatability question

ccollins46

Reaction score
Recently entered Ukeland (been playing guitar and mando for decades - don't know why it took so long)… and bought a Pono solid Acacia tenor finding it the best and barkiest of the price range I was shopping.

I was told it came with "their" strings, and because the wound C string was decimating my fingernail, I switched to a set of Aquilas with an un-wound C.

The new C seems to be the string that stays in tune best but also seems unusually light and often buzzy, and the hi-G sounds almost always out of tune when it's not - perhaps it's an intonation thing.

BUT ANYWAY - my question is... are uke's built/designed to host certain sets of strings like wound C's or Low G's? And therefore will may cause some frustration when using sets other that what it has been built for? (I know this to be true of guitars) Thanks!

Some acoustic guitars are set for a certain string sets to give optimum in terms of playablity. There is the truss rod of course :)

Ukulele has usually not that and tension is lower, but I can't say that all strings work the same concerning action.

The non wound C string is the worst in intonation with re-entrant ukulele, but it is most common. Fluorocarbon C strings are thinner and work better in that sense than Aquila's. Just my opinion.

Ccollins, although I don't currently play a tenor, I do recall that on the occasions that I had a tenor "in the herd" I really liked the Martin M-620 tenor strings. In fact,
I had exceptional luck tuning them down a step to F Bb D G. At that level they had a great smooth tone, and still the tension was nice and firm, but not overly-tight.

BUT ANYWAY - my question is... are uke's built/designed to host certain sets of strings like wound C's or Low G's? And therefore will may cause some frustration when using sets other that what it has been built for? (I know this to be true of guitars) Thanks!

I don't know if this is your question, but my humble opinion is yes. I have a theory that uke builders and manufacturers design their instruments to be used with a certain type of string. That should not necessarily deter you from experimenting and finding a set of strings that suits your ear and playing style. For example, I believe (with no scientific proof) that KoAloha probably builds with fluorocarbons in mind and Kamaka builds with nylons in mind and K'anilea builds with Aquilas in mind. Does that mean you can't use fluorocarbons on a Kamaka or K'anilea? Absolutely not, in fact many people prefer that.

I think with Pono, and their guitar background (specs from Ko'olau), it is not surprising that they use a wound C or wound G. However, strings also wear out and sometimes if they've been stretched and re-stretched or are just old and stale, they can cause problems. Sometimes string diameter can vary and your nut slot is too narrow or too wide which can cause buzzing. My Pono came with their stock Ko'Olau gold strings and they sounded awful (probably old). When I put fluorocarbons on them, it sounded like a totally different instrument. I recently put Pepe Romero Strings on mine and really like them, but there is a low G wound string in there. Aquilas tend to be a little fat - I might try fluorocarbons to see if your issues persist. I have often switched between low g and high g with no problems, but if there is a buzz switching to a skinnier string, you can put a piece of paper in there to see if that solves your problem.

Good luck! (and oh, by the way - welcome!)

Last edited:
Hi

I'm so glad for this thread. I recently received a Pono tenor and am hating the strings. At first I loved the ukulele, the nut/neck with the radius fretboard is bread. But the more I play it, the more I hate the strings. Here's hoping a restringing will help. Thanks to the Community.

Hi

I'm so glad for this thread. I recently received a Pono tenor and am hating the strings. At first I loved the ukulele, the nut/neck with the radius fretboard is bread. But the more I play it, the more I hate the strings. Here's hoping a restringing will help. Thanks to the Community.

I really like the Pepe Romero strings (more guitar sounding) and the worth clears on my Pono (more uke sounding)!

Top Bottom