Ohana vs Tiny Tenor

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I was comparing these 2 today, and thought I'd do a short video. This is a comparison of an Ohana TK-35CG, all solid mahogany tenor, with an all solid mahogany/spruce Tiny Tenor. Both strung reentrant with Worth Browns.

I've tried many different strings on the Ohana, and think I've finally found the right set with these Browns. It's funny, many folks here talk of using Browns to tone down an overly bright uke. The Ohana was not overly bright, but woody and warm, but I decided to try them anyway. If anything, the Browns added a bit of high end sparkle to the Ohana. I like it, so I guess you never know. Maybe I'll try a set on my vintage Martin soprano too.

Anyway, what differences do you hear?

Last edited:
The TT Spruce/Mahogany sounded more open and brighter to me. (But how much is that due to bias of my listener's expectation?)

I thought the solid mahogany sounded a little muted by comparison.

I normally do not like Mahogany with spruce. The sound usually seem too brittle and harsh to me. I prefer it toned down a touch with cedar instead. That being said, I really liked the sound from the Tiny Tenor.

My Mike Pereira MP Mahogany/Spruce tenor also surprised me with a very sweet, musical and lovely sound. Instead of an overly loud and brash one. So expectations can be wrong.

The TT Spruce/Mahogany sounded more open and brighter to me. (But how much is that due to bias of my listener's expectation?)

I thought the solid mahogany sounded a little muted by comparison...

I would agree with you, the TT is more open and brighter. However, after playing the Ohana with the Worth Browns a bit more, I'm finding the tone just so sweet, especially when played fingerstyle softly, just perfect for stuff like Tennessee Waltz, which I hope to learn fully.

What arrangement are you using for Tennessee Waltz? I love that song.

I would agree with you, the TT is more open and brighter. However, after playing the Ohana with the Worth Browns a bit more, I'm finding the tone just so sweet, especially when played fingerstyle softly, just perfect for stuff like Tennessee Waltz, which I hope to learn fully.

What arrangement are you using for Tennessee Waltz? I love that song.

I don't have one yet, I've just been watching Kan Middleton's several videos, and trying to figure it out. If anyone has an intermediate level arrangement, please let me know.

Top Bottom