Teak

Johni

Reaction score
I have quite a bit of “scrap” that’s big enough for Ukes but I don’t think I’ve seen an instrument made using teak.
Maybe there’s a reason?
Maybe not a good tone wood or issues with gluing?

I tried bending some for practice the other day and it was “friendly” to work with in that regard.

Anyone have any experiences?

Never tried it myself, but I've seen a few guitars and ukes built from teak. Go for it!

Never used it to build a uke but teak is an oily wood - which can affect gluing. Wipe the surfaces about to be glued with meths or acetone immediately before putting any glue on. This removes some of the surface oils and allows the glue to do its thing.
Miguel

I've got a teak use (with spruce top) I built around 25 years ago. It was fine to work with and t's still holding up. The big problem I had was with the finish though. As mentioned earlier it's an oily wood. After I sprayed it with lacquer I could peel the finish off with my fingers in one sheet. So I'd advise before spraying it with a finish to wipe the surfaces with a solvent and then apply a couple of coats of shellac.

I've never seen a teak ukulele but years ago I did a ton of joiner work with it on boats. As Chuck says, it's very oily and has its own particular and very strong smell. It's also abrasive and tough on sharp tools. As with most woods, there's teak and then there's teak. While I can't imagine using it for a top, the right piece could surely be found for back and sides. Some is pretty plain and some has very pretty grain. The advice about being careful with gluing is right on. Treat it like cocobolo: you really can't do too many wipes with solvent.

Top Bottom