UAS! I thought I was immune!

tonyturley

Reaction score
I was bored and trolling around on the big auction site, looking, just looking, at ukes. Really. I saw an old Gretsch, so I typed in the brand only, and a string of ukes appeared, of various ages and sizes. And there it was: Gretsch Roots Collection Ukulele - Fan Frets.

That led to other searches trying to find out more, listening to sound samples. Lots about Gretsch, nothing about a fan fret tenor. According to the music store selling it (they said they are just a short distance from the factory), it appears to be a prototype that never went into production. It has Gretsch on the headstock, and a Gretsch label on the inside, but no model number or serial number.

Now, I have plenty of stringed instruments. Several guitars. A tenor and baritone uke. Three different 4-string instruments in various stages of construction in my workshop. I actually walked away from the auction for several hours. But curiosity/greed/intrigue got the best of me. Before I knew what my fingers were doing, I was paying for this interesting beastie. We'll see what it's about when it arrives next week.

Now that sounds interesting! Keep us up to date as you explore it.

No inoculations that I know of, short of hitting yourself on the head with a frying pan, works against this insidious disease. I just succumbed a few minutes ago myself...

No inoculations that I know of, short of hitting yourself on the head with a frying pan, works against this insidious disease. I just succumbed a few minutes ago myself...

No, the frying pan trick doesn't work. Maybe I used the wrong kind of frying pan? Still suffering from UAS, anyway. :)

The Gretch sounds interesting. I hope that you enjoy it, tonyturley.

Pictures please. I had a Gretsch G9121 A.C.E. 1/4 sawn mahogany solid top, mahogany body.

Gretsch mine.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

LOL, thanks for the support guys. I'll post pics when it arrives.

And all it takes is reading a thread like this for the disease to rear its ugly head again.

No, a frying pan is too close to the shape of a banjo uke; then you'd want one of those! :D

After seeing that photo, I'm suddenly feeling much better. This will only be my third uke. Plus two more under construction. Building slows the acquisition process way down.

That is, until I retire this Autumn. Then all bets are off.

I contacted Gretsch customer service to inquire about the multi-scale uke from my OP. They said they don't have any information in the system on it, but that one-off factory prototypes have happened in the past. Curious how it got out into the wild, but it is certainly an interesting find, and one I'll enjoy having in my small collection of ukes. I was incorrect also in my OP; there is no logo on the headstock, just the label inside the uke. Tracking says it will be here Thursday, and I'm looking forward to giving it a spin.

Top Bottom