Polish for an ebony fretboard:

JJFN

Reaction score
I need help from all you luthier's and techies. I've been advised to clean up an ebony fretboard. 0000 steel wool and fretboard polish have been recommended. I "googled" this on the sight, and I cannot find a good wax/cleaner for an ebony fretboard. Any suggestions? Thanx

One word: Renaissance Wax. Ok, that's two words but the stuff deserves plenty of words, so here goes:

Before fretting, I sand to a pretty fine grit as necessary to get a scratch-free appearance and then use the finest Mirka scuff pad to apply the wax and give it some polish. Then follow up with a very fine white scuff pad of unknown brand that I get at Ace. It sounds like you're working with a fretted board so you might want to just start with the finest pad you can find, depending on the condition of the wood and the look you're trying to achieve.

Yes, my wife is from a Polish family, and she loves ebony fingerboards! :) Ugh, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've never needed to oil or polish an ebony board, but have one that seems rather dry, so I'll be interested to hear some suggestions for improvement. I love deep dark ebony fingerboards, the best feeling wood there, IMO. I think I tried some Dunlop lemon oil once, but the ebony didn't seem to absorb it like rosewood does.

As an aside, I think it was on the Jeopardy TV show, I once heard the question:

Q: What's the only word in the English language whose meaning changes entirely by capitalizing the first letter?

A: polish

Dunno if that's true or not.

Last edited:
Yes, my wife is from a Polish family, and she loves ebony fingerboards! :) Ugh, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've never needed to oil or polish an ebony board, but have one that seems rather dry, so I'll be interested to hear some suggestions for improvement. I love deep dark ebony fingerboards, the best feeling wood there, IMO. I think I tried some Dunlop lemon oil once, but the ebony didn't seem to absorb it like rosewood does.

As an aside, I think it was on the Jeopardy TV show, I once heard the question:

Q: What's the only word in the English language whose meaning changes entirely by capitalizing the first letter?

A: polish

Dunno if that's true or not.

I think Turkey would also fit that definition. ;)

As for ebony fretboards, a cleanup with 0000 steel wool is usually enough for me, followed by rubbing in a few drops of bore oil, or mineral oil, sesame oil... boiled linseed oil... I've used them all.

For very cruddy ebony fretboard with lots of grunge and waxy buildup from decades of playing and using polishes, a good cleanup with the steel wool and some naptha - followed by the oil of choice - can really do wonders.

In any case, whatever oil, use it sparingly, rub it in well, and follow it with a good rubbing in with a clean cotton cloth.

Last edited:
Top Bottom